2024 Recruiting: Tarris Reed Jr. | Page 20 | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: Tarris Reed Jr.

Reaction Score
My Bookie makes some good points as Reed does have some issues. He had the worst +/- on Michigan the past 2 years and he was ranked as the #1392 player by Evan Miya stats. The bet is that Hurley and staff can develop him and put him in a better situation to succeed.

Look at some past UConn players and see their first year development under Hurley based on Evan Miya stats:

Tarris Reed: ranked #1392 at Michigan

Cam Spencer: ranked #1130 at Rutgers improved to #10 at UConn

Tristen Newton: ranked #798 at East Carolina improved to #28 at UConn

Hassan Diarra: ranked #358 at Texas A&M improved to #164 at UConn

RJ Cole: ranked #592 at Howard improved to #68 at UConn

Tyrese Martin: ranked #434 at Rhode Island improved to #147 at UConn

In Hurley we trust!
is it really developing players if they start out highly rated?

Reaction Score
Same clown who thought we'd have no answer for Boo Buie/Terrence Shannon Jr & said mid-season that Clingan wasn't very good, just very tall. His bad takes rival Goodman.
He wasn't all wrong. I mean, Buie and Shannon were so good we were totally unable to score 31 straight against the Illini.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Luke, Kimani and Dan were busy scouting and preparing UConn for the NCAA Tournament.

Tom was tasked with the portal. Given that he works with the bigs he saw something in Tarris that is UConn material. “Taking plays off” is fans speak made about a player who offends them because they believe that making that derogatory statement will cause that player pain. It’s emotional immaturity. I’ll defer to Moore’s assessment on Reed over a podcaster.

Reaction Score
What this says is don't take Evan Miya seriously

Hassan was the 164th best player last year? Maybe this year, but I don't think anyone even here would say that last year

And Cam was the 1130th last year? His numbers were very similar to this year on a bad offensive team that played good defense

His analytics seem to be totally based on how good a team you played on. That would explain Reed.
You didn't read my post correctly as I was comparing a player during their first year at UConn vs their previous school. So in 2022/2023, Diarra was rated #164, but he was rated #34 in 2023/2024. I think all of us would agree that Hass made a huge leap in performance last year.

What's interesting about Spencer is that he was basically rated the same player at Loyola Maryland as he was at Rutgers. Decent offensive player and a poor defensive player. At UConn, he became an elite offensive player and a good defensive player showing considerable improvement.

When you look at Cam's stats, you can see how much improvement he made at UConn:

FG%: 48.4% vs 44.4%
3PT FG%: 44.0% vs 43.4%
FT%: 91.1% vs 89.4%
Assists/TO ratio: 3.6 vs 2.3
Steals/TO: 1.5 vs 1.5
Blocks: 0.3 vs 0.1
And, his scoring and shooting efficiency improved as you would expect.

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
This guy is not to keen on Tarris Reed Jr. But he has been proving wrong before.

Every take he has on UConn is wrong. Almost a red flag that he’s in love with Mahaney, but even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Had to stop watching their videos after they predicted UConn to struggle vs Northwestern and San Diego St, then picked UConn to lose to Illinois. Also picked UConn to lose in the BET and showed little respect to the team during a regular season in which UConn won in dominating fashion.

His negative opinions on Tarris Reed Jr mean less than nothing and could honestly mean we are getting a better player than we think. This YouTuber is so biased towards Marquette that he can’t see he discounts just about everything UConn accomplishes and underestimates our coaching staff to a level that feels ignorant when. Rant over.

Tarris Reed Jr is going to be very good for UConn and in return UConn will be amazing for TRJr.

Reaction Score
It’s all about our offensive system putting him in the best position and screening to be effective. Hurley will handle the defense but don’t expect him to be a finished product in December.

Reaction Score
My Bookie makes some good points as Reed does have some issues. He had the worst +/- on Michigan the past 2 years and he was ranked as the #1392 player by Evan Miya stats. The bet is that Hurley and staff can develop him and put him in a better situation to succeed.

Look at some past UConn players and see their first year development under Hurley based on Evan Miya stats:

Tarris Reed: ranked #1392 at Michigan

Cam Spencer: ranked #1130 at Rutgers improved to #10 at UConn

Tristen Newton: ranked #798 at East Carolina improved to #28 at UConn

Hassan Diarra: ranked #358 at Texas A&M improved to #164 at UConn

RJ Cole: ranked #592 at Howard improved to #68 at UConn

Tyrese Martin: ranked #434 at Rhode Island improved to #147 at UConn

In Hurley we trust!
Could Cam have really been #1130 at Rutgers? He seemed to be pretty effective his one year there as their highest scorer and # 18 in Big10 league scoring.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I just wish we’d cool it with the Sanogo comparisons cause he’s nowhere near Sanogo. The idea is we transform him this off season into a real rotation player, and maybe a breakout season as a senior.

Reaction Score
I just wish we’d cool it with the Sanogo comparisons cause he’s nowhere near Sanogo. The idea is we transform him this off season into a real rotation player, and maybe a breakout season as a senior.
Nobody said he was Adama reincarnate, more than 1 or 2 of us thought there were some similarities, size, body type, footwork, athleticism. Lets see how tough and Hoops Intelligent he is. I'd wager a pint that he's closer to Sanogo than he is to Tarris Reed by the end of this year.

Is Reed legit 6'10? What was Adama, legit 6'8 with decent wings?

See ddent68's take above. We aren't all dumb and blind!

Reaction Score
Could Cam have really been #1130 at Rutgers? He seemed to be pretty effective his one year there as their highest scorer and # 18 in Big10 league scoring.
44% FG percentage is near average and his defense at Rutgers was not good.

Reaction Score
44% FG percentage is near average and his defense at Rutgers was not good.
No and no. 44% is not near average when half your shots are 3s and you hit them at a 43.4% clip, never mind the added 90% from the FT line. Cam had one of the best true shooting percentages in the B10. He was also third in the conference in defensive box +/- and defensive rating. The guy was a stud across the board.

Reaction Score
No and no. 44% is not near average when half your shots are 3s and you hit them at a 43.4% clip, never mind the added 90% from the FT line. Cam had one of the best true shooting percentages in the B10. He was also third in the conference in defensive box +/- and defensive rating. The guy was a stud across the board.
Hope the NBA guys draft him even in the second round, and give him a guaranteed contract at a fair amount.

Reaction Score
Michigan was an absolute dumpster fire at 8-24 overall and 3-17 in the Big 10. Reed Jr. is big, strong and pretty mobile for his size. The coaching he will receive at UConn is considerably better than anything he got at Michigan, plus the ball movement will be substantially better. With even nominal improvement something like 12 ppg and 8 rpg is easily attainable.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Can’t believe I’m saying this about a Center but I love his face up game and the quick moves. Maybe the staff can work that in.

Reaction Score
He shot a higher % of 3s at UConn than at Rutgers and had a higher % made. His 2 point % at Rutgers was 45.3% and his 2 point % at UConn was an elite 53.9%. Rutgers 2 point % in 2022/2023 was 47.6%, so yes, his 2 point % was below the Rutgers average. That said, he was an elite 3 point shooter at Rutgers. Ken Pom rated him the #33 offensive player in the Big 10. EvanMiya rated him the #66 offensive player in the Big 10.

As for a 44.4% FG% that Cam had in 2022/2023, that would been what the #189 team in Division 1 averaged this past season. So, yes, his shooting was about average.

Defensively, Spencer was rated by Evan Miya as one of the worst defensive players (who played regularly) in the Big 10 at #102.

Bottom line, he made huge leaps in performance both offensively and defensively at UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom