2024 Offer John Bol | The Boneyard

2024 Offer John Bol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Any relation to Manute?
Embarrassing / funny story about the time I met Manute Bol. It was 1984 and I was 6 years old. Manute came into my grandfather's store on Main street in Bridgeport ( Drumstik bar b q) . I was sitting on the bench directly to the left of the door which I think were seven foot doors. He bent down and had to duck to get in and when I saw it happening, I had no idea what I was looking at. He looked down at me after standing up straight and just said "hello" . I pointed at him and screamed bloody murder and then ran and held onto my Dad's leg ( he was the barbecue guy on the weekends) . He apologized to my Dad for scaring me and my Dad just kind of laughed. He came in a few times after that and was a very sweet man from what the employees told me and from what I can remember.

Reaction Score
Embarrassing / funny story about the time I met Manute Bol. It was 1984 and I was 6 years old. Manute came into my grandfather's store on Main street in Bridgeport ( Drumstik bar b q) . I was sitting on the bench directly to the left of the door which I think were seven foot doors. He bent down and had to duck to get in and when I saw it happening, I had no idea what I was looking at. He looked down at me after standing up straight and just said "hello" . I pointed at him and screamed bloody murder and then ran and held onto my Dad's leg ( he was the barbecue guy on the weekends) . He apologized to my Dad for scaring me and my Dad just kind of laughed. He came in a few times after that and was a very sweet man from what the employees told me and from what I can remember.
Soooo any relation?

Reaction Score
My cousin was an assistant coach for him in college under Bruce Weber. I went to all the home games. My cousin was pretty close with him. He was at a few of our family cookouts for 4th of July/Memorial Day. Got to shoot hoops a little with him. I say shoot as he decided which of my shots made it to the basket and which ones were swatted into the swimming pool. Gentle giant who was very kind and friendly to everyone. I remember the story about how he had the front seat taken out of his car so he could drive from the back seat.

Reaction Score
I’m sure you looked pretty minute next to Manute.

Reaction Score
@uconnblueinky Your grandfather started Drumstik! I lived nearby, after we moved fron the hollow, he was great to the kids (me). All we could afford was the fries with bbq sauce. Not becuase it was expensive mind you, we just did not have money. I can taste the fries and sauce now, he would pile it high for us!!

I also met Manute, he was a good person.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
manute-bol-olga-korbut-and-william-perry.jpg
I remember when he fought the Fridge

Reaction Score
This quote sure makes him sound like a DH kind of player:
"I am who I am today because of the choices I made yesterday"
Also makes him sound like he'd be a great teammate and member of the community.

Reaction Score
You related to Rocco?

Reaction Score
@uconnblueinky Your grandfather started Drumstik! I lived nearby, after we moved fron the hollow, he was great to the kids (me). All we could afford was the fries with bbq sauce. Not becuase it was expensive mind you, we just did not have money. I can taste the fries and sauce now, he would pile it high for us!!

I also met Manute, he was a good person.
My grandfather was a tough but kind man. So glad to hear he was good to your and yours The best food around, at the time.

Reaction Score
Huskies in the top 8

View attachment 88169

Will be interesting to see how much we pull up to watch Mokan this weekend. He's a real talent, and no one on his list is a huge NIL threat like UK/KU/UNC/Duke

Wake Forest
Florida
Mizzou
Michigan
Texas
USC
Overtime Elite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online