2023 vs. 2024 Improvements | The Boneyard

2023 vs. 2024 Improvements

Reaction Score
Gavin tweeted these insane statistics showing how similar the teams performance is, and how we have actually improved in many areas (FG%!!) from last year.

It had me dive deeper, because these teams play very different styles. We focused on paint forcing and off ball screens last year, very rarely incorporating all 5 players in a possession. This year every possession seems to have 4-5 guys touching the ball.

We also played with “more” pace last year, 199th in pace 2023 vs. 316th so far this year, so I pulled the Point Per Possession charts from Torvik and the results are really interesting.

1707361982047.png

1707362009596.png

*Squares mean conference games, circles are OOC.

Last year we struggled immensely playing with a slow pace in conference play, 5 of our 7 losses came when we had 100 or fewer rating(1PPS). This year so far, only 2 games have been under 100 rating.

Does this mean we have slowed our pace dramatically and purposefully, but we have increased our PPG, PPS and FG% at the same time?

Explain this coaching wizardry to me please. Idk how Danny does it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If you could bring one player from last year back who would it be? Has to be Sanogo in my mind and figure out how mind. It's a mind F* that he could have come back and play the 4 and figure out rest of the minutes. But things happened exactly as they needed to be. If Cam wasn't here obv. it would be Jordan. AJax is crazy good but come tourney time Hurley was right that Stephon covers that. But it's just all very subjective I guess. If Donovan stays healthy rest of year (knock on every wood I can find) then maybe Ajax is #1 to draft from last year. Fun to think about. /ramble over.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Gavin tweeted these insane statistics showing how similar the teams performance is, and how we have actually improved in many areas (FG%!!) from last year.

It had me dive deeper, because these teams play very different styles. We focused on paint forcing and off ball screens last year, very rarely incorporating all 5 players in a possession. This year every possession seems to have 4-5 guys touching the ball.

We also played with “more” pace last year, 199th in pace 2023 vs. 316th so far this year, so I pulled the Point Per Possession charts from Torvik and the results are really interesting.

View attachment 96178

View attachment 96179

*Squares mean conference games, circles are OOC.

Last year we struggled immensely playing with a slow pace in conference play, 5 of our 7 losses came when we had 100 or fewer rating(1PPS). This year so far, only 2 games have been under 100 rating.

Does this mean we have slowed our pace dramatically and purposefully, but we have increased our PPG, PPS and FG% at the same time?

Explain this coaching wizardry to me please. Idk how Danny does it.

You heard it in the huddle the other night. We play a deliberately slow pace to get the best possible shot. We are one of the slowest teams in the country as far as pace is concerned but also #3 in AdjO. It’s incredible. We’re what Tony Bennett has probably always dreamed of.

Reaction Score
Slower pace, but I think we're only getting about 2 fewer FGA per game compared to last year. Fewer TOs, slightly more FTAs, and some shooting % bumps gets us to a better PPG despite pace. Pace has a pretty low correlation with winning IIRC.

Reaction Score
Slower pace, but I think we're only getting about 2 fewer FGA per game compared to last year. Fewer TOs, slightly more FTAs, and some shooting % bumps gets us to a better PPG despite pace. Pace has a pretty low correlation with winning IIRC.
Cam and Karaban are a pretty big chunk of our offensive volume and are wildly efficient, including getting a ton of easy looks at the basket on great cuts and off-ball movement.

Reaction Score
If you could bring one player from last year back who would it be? Has to be Sanogo in my mind and figure out how mind. It's a mind F* that he could have come back and play the 4 and figure out rest of the minutes. But things happened exactly as they needed to be. If Cam wasn't here obv. it would be Jordan. AJax is crazy good but come tourney time Hurley was right that Stephon covers that. But it's just all very subjective I guess. If Donovan stays healthy rest of year (knock on every wood I can find) then maybe Ajax is #1 to draft from last year. Fun to think about. /ramble over.
Please Alex for me. How fun would it be to have Alex and Castle defending in the perimeter!!! I know that Hawk was awesome, but I got me some Cam, I am good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom