2023 Season - What Does Success Look Like? What Say You? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2023 Season - What Does Success Look Like? What Say You?

Reaction Score
It truly is amazing how quickly positive things about us are forgotten. When we went into Waco and beat Baylor, I remember their beat reporter say something like the following: "Don't tell me UConn is a basketball school. Did you see what their two lines looked like on the field? That's no basketball school." And yet, when we're evaluated, all positive is forgotten.
I went on their board and tactfully reminded them of that. The excuses were brought out. I pointed out that if they were gonna make those kinds of excuses they should apply to UConn too.

Reaction Score
Last year they made it to a bowl game and that was a successful season in my mind. This year same thing. Get to a bowl and win it. That would be enough improvement for me. Win another the following year then after that be ranked in the top 25. That's improvement. That success will get the Rent packed again. Top 25 ranking is the proof that UConn is at least in the same room for consideration of a playoff berth.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Success to me this year:
-6 wins minimum reg season plus bowl win.
-limit blow out losses to 1 game, most other losses are one possession losses.
-make progress on pass game offense.
-overall keep the good energy/keep the mojo positive for recruiting/portal season
-boost home attendance to 30k for NC St.
-have a point this season where we get to 35k at the Rent.
-bonus: have two or even three draft picks

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Be competitive in every game. There were still several games last year where opponents played reserves half the game and simply ran out the clock in the 4th qtr.

Passing game numbers and efficiency improve. Starting QB has to be over 60% completion and over 200 YPG.

DLine be stout.

Stay good at what they did good in 2022. Doesn’t do much good to improve some areas while regressing in others.

7 wins minimum going on to bowl game.

2 home games with 30k going through turnstiles.

Reaction Score
I'd be very happy, but also very surprised if we go over 30k (legitimate) once, let alone twice this season. It would take a lot of buzz building up and the most attractive games are earlier in the season (when they also face more competition with youth sports). The average attendance was 22,095 tickets distributed last year, with a high water mark of 25k that was hit twice, against local P5 programs (Syracuse & BC). We hit 23k with UMass and 22k with CCSU; Fresno drew 20k and Liberty 15k.

This year you have NC State as an opener.. on a Thursday night. Duke, 4 weeks later might have a chance if the team pulls the upset against NC State, otherwise USF in mid/late October is the best shot to hit the mark.

Reaction Score
Pretty solid consensus for early summer. I think we all agree on:

1. >= 7 W + Bowl game
2. Win the games UConn should win
3. Competitive almost every game, no massive blowouts (> 21 pts.)
4. At least one P5 W
5. QB and WR improvement that enables a legit passing threat (short and long) & closer to optimum R/P ratio (preventing defenders from stacking the box)
6. Stout DL and no backsliding on the OL
7. Secondary which does not need massive cushions
8. Get the Rent close to capacity at least once or twice

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
We need to win the 7 games against non-James Madison G5/FCS programs.
James Madison will be the most difficult G5 game, but the rest we need to win.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Winning record and/or bowl win. Being a laughing stock, bankable win for anyone except the top 20 teams is no longer acceptable. Yeah, we had a weak schedule last year and this year looks even softer but we made a bowl game without a reliable quarterback or our top RB's and WR's. Mora proved once and for all that any team can win games if they know what they are doing and are committed.

I'm now convinced that our past problems were directly attributable to players losing faith in PP, Diaco, and RE 2.0 rather quickly. I hope Mora can keep up the energy in the program.

Reaction Score
People are very optimistic. My expectations are more tempered I believe the offense will improve and want to see if the D can match up better with the top offenses this season. Guessing NCST is one of them?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Winning helps but our attendance will be opponent dependant for the near-term.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I'd be very happy, but also very surprised if we go over 30k (legitimate) once, let alone twice this season. It would take a lot of buzz building up and the most attractive games are earlier in the season (when they also face more competition with youth sports). The average attendance was 22,095 tickets distributed last year, with a high water mark of 25k that was hit twice, against local P5 programs (Syracuse & BC). We hit 23k with UMass and 22k with CCSU; Fresno drew 20k and Liberty 15k.

This year you have NC State as an opener.. on a Thursday night. Duke, 4 weeks later might have a chance if the team pulls the upset against NC State, otherwise USF in mid/late October is the best shot to hit the mark.
I don’t disagree about attendance- but a meaningful step up is part of the formula for success if we want to keep us atop of the power conf upgrade discussion. Having a seven win season and drawing 22k on avg will give pause to some looking at us for a CRA upgrade. We need to get to 30k… the OP asked for definition of a good season and I think wins w/o a step up in attendance would be the equivalent of coming up a bit short. Attendance will matter and is part of my definition of a good season.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
At the moment I'm following the "I'll know it when I see it" path as the possibility exists of a five win season with above anticipated growth while a seven or eight win season without eliminating weaknesses we believe we should be able to eliminate can also happen.

As an independent, continually improving our W/L record and bowl game/results will help on a number of levels (attendance, perception, recruiting) so obviously this should always be a goal. Building a sustainable foundation that will allow us to compete at an increasingly higher level should be the goal.

Reaction Score
People are very optimistic. My expectations are more tempered I believe the offense will improve and want to see if the D can match up better with the top offenses this season. Guessing NCST is one of them?
I think people see that if we had some semblance of a passing game last year another two games was well within reach. I've seen enough weird stuff happen that I won't play the "must win" game.

Reaction Score
Top 60 defense
Top 70 offense

Gimme 8 wins that's including the related bowl game, and I want at least a 50 burger slapped on BC.

Mora-you want more money for the operation? We gotta see further growth in proof of concept. Get 'er done.

Reaction Score
They got a good grad Qb from UVa. 220+ yds/g

Reaction Score
For me success would be if the team isn't disrupted when a starter goes down or is taken out of the lineup.

The second team needs to be as good as the first team as far as having a cohesive unit goes.

Often times you'll see a team go downhill at a certain position when a starter is injured and it seems to impact the whole team.

Injuries happen, but a solid, talented and well coached team continues to grind through it and not crumble.

I want to see the team get better, minimize penalties and be competitive and fight through the whole game.

That doesn't always translate to victories, but being able to keep games in reach and have a chance to win games is all you can ask for when you not fortunate to have the best recruits.

You go to war with the weapons you have, and if the coach and staff can get kids to be where they're supposed to be on the field and the can make plays, you got a shot.

That's the mark of a disciplined program.

That type of culture will lead to wins

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom