2023 NBA Mock Draft Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

2023 NBA Mock Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Adama is going to have to go overseas most likely. He won’t be able to defend the 4/5 and his scoring is mostly in the post with his back to the basket - most guys who are 6-7 will fry him on the perimeter.

Reaction Score
Newest post lottery Mock Draft has Hawkins at 11 to the Magic and Jackson at 29 to the Pacers.
Magic might trade this pick, but otherwise I do think Hawk is in play at 11. Needs Grady to go before 11. Pelicans at 14 might be a possibility, too. But also good chance of missing lottery and going somewhere 15-22.

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
I should probably be rooting for Hawkins to go to the Lakers, Heat or Warriors in the 17-19 range for fit / front office competency / immediate contender reasons, but the prospect of a banner in the practice facility is oddly alluring to me. Overall I think there are a lot of good landing spots 10-25 (his range as defined by Sam Vecenie in his post-lottery mock). He’s a good fit on pretty much any team

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
What about him on the Mavs. He won’t have to dribble much…just hit threes when Luka draws in the defense. I think kyrie is gone.
Would LOVE that for Hawkins and Luka if Kyrie leaves. They’re DESPERATE for a 2nd option. Hed pretty much be Hardaway with a higher ceiling.

I just hope he has the patience to deal with a rookie.

Reaction Score
  • Dick is probably going before Hawkins. That frame, arm length and weight is just a more desirable package. I thought that was the case before, but this solidifies it.
Is this your King?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Is this your King?

He’s a one and done. I’ve got no fondness for him. ESPN has him going 9th and Hawkins 11th.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Poor Pistons. They got hosed in lottery. At #5, they're not getting the kind of player who will have immediate impact.

Reaction Score
Could easily see Big Vic/Pop/Tony Parker enjoying a celebratory glass of wine at Chateau La Mascaronne in Provence in the not-too-distant future.. Should be a great ride for San Antonio with Vic on board.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Re: The bolded part. Skill development doesn't happen in AAU--it's a showcase. If you want to know what kind of coaching a kid received, you talk to his high school coach. It's no coincidence that Hawkins and Sanogo came here with really solid fundamental skills... or that Bouk and Andre didn't. Same is true of our freshman last year.

Also... why isn't creating your own shot efficiently a fundamental skill?
I don't recall saying that developing your own shot efficiently was not a fundamental skill? It would seem to be more of a zenith though since it frequently involves dribble drive as well as shooting if I understand correctly what you are referring to. I was referring to the fundamental skills of three players above. All three are bigs. Dribble drive for them is not as easy as say for guards or wings nor is it as essential to play at the collegiate level. Technically then I would say that a case could be made as to it being a fundamental. But bigs such as Sanogo and Clingan can make there own shot without dribble drive because of their proximity to the basket and ability to shoot numerous shots with either hand and/or use of footwork. Agree?

Reaction Score
I don't recall saying that developing your own shot efficiently was not a fundamental skill?

These were your exact words: "individual ability (create your own shot) is important but it doesn't trump fundamentals in the long run."

It doesn't take a 180 on the LSAT to understand you are making a distinction between creating your own shot and fundamentals here. The implication is that creating your own shot is not a fundamental skill. And that is nuts.

Do you understand the difference between "developing a shot" and "creating your own shot"?--because those are completely different line items in basketball.

Sanogo developed a set 3-point shot. He was also very good at using footwork to create his own shot in the paint. Bouknight was superior at creating his own shot on the perimeter. If Andre develops a shot, he will make a bunch of money in the NBA. You get the idea.

Creating your own shot doesn't just mean perimeter skill. It means getting open and being able to shoot when guarded tightly. You CREATE the space for a shot when you weren't otherwise able to.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I hope Hawkins can go to the Thunder and play next to Shai and Giddy. Great development franchise with guys who know how to move the ball that needs a shooter.
And the coach is a UConn guy. Daigneault was a student manager for us from 2003-07, and it was Calhoun who really pushed him into coaching.

I always root for them because of that (unless they're playing the Celtics).

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
These were your exact words: "individual ability (create your own shot) is important but it doesn't trump fundamentals in the long run."

It doesn't take a 180 on the LSAT to understand you are making a distinction between creating your own shot and fundamentals here. The implication is that creating your own shot is not a fundamental skill. And that is nuts.

Do you understand the difference between "developing a shot" and "creating your own shot"?--because those are completely different line items in basketball.

Sanogo developed a set 3-point shot. He was also very good at using footwork to create his own shot in the paint. Bouknight was superior at creating his own shot on the perimeter. If Andre develops a shot, he will make a bunch of money in the NBA. You get the idea.

Creating your own shot doesn't just mean perimeter skill. It means getting open and being able to shoot when guarded tightly. You CREATE the space for a shot when you weren't otherwise able to.
Yes, this is what you see in a guy like Tatum. He can side step, back-step, blow by and he's 6'9" so good luck stopping that. Create your own shot is, to me, a skill the best players have in varying degrees. Right now, Hawk is a shooter off the catch, and can drive a little. To make the next leap he'll need to start creating space to shoot by himself. Bouk was wild, great at creating a shot, not a great shooter off the catch.

Andre doesn't need to create space, because they give it to him and dare him to shoot. I suspect he might be pretty good at it, but it's not much use if you can't make the shot.

Reaction Score
Finkelstein indeed mocks it:

Am I missing something on Anthony Black? He doesn't seem overly athletic, is not a great shooter, isn't a point guard. He played well against us, but in no way did I think he was a top 10 pick.

Reaction Score
Am I missing something on Anthony Black? He doesn't seem overly athletic, is not a great shooter, isn't a point guard. He played well against us, but in no way did I think he was a top 10 pick.
He surprisingly tested well athletically (39" vertical). He's big (just about 6'6" without shoes), and I do think he's a PG or at the very least a secondary playmaker. That Arkansas team was young and a bit of a mess (injuries and then roster construction issues). He's also a really strong competitor and gives a . I like when they were pressing us and he got into it with Andre despite being down 20 or whatever. Seems like he cares about winning. That's a dude I want (just like I want Andre). He puts good pressure on the rim. But his shooting needs to improve and his form is shaky. That's what is keeping him from being a top 5 pick.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score

Givony has Hawkins 11th to the Magic (who really do need shooting, but it feels like they're more likely to package their picks in a move since they've already got so many young players on that roster).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom