2023 Gold Cup | The Boneyard

2023 Gold Cup

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Gold Cup starts today. USA plays Jamaica tonight (9:30 FS1).

In group with Jamaica, T&T, St. Kitts and Nevis.

Mostly B squad for this tourney.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Gold Cup starts today. USA plays Jamaica tonight (9:30 FS1).

In group with Jamaica, T&T, St. Kitts and Nevis.

Mostly B squad for this tourney.
Tough group. One team has a UConn keeper while the others are two countries combined to gang up on US.

Reaction Score
Watching Jordan Morris, I still can’t believe he played in a World Cup game, while Pepi gets left at home and Reyna rides the bench.

It doesn’t count though because he was a sub.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
That was complete garbage last night. First game for this group but I didn't see anyone of the newer players who is going to threaten for a WC spot, not in 2026 anyway.

Reaction Score
Canada down to Guadeloupe with their B squad. Nice goal by Guadeloupe after it looked like they were just going to fake injuries for the first 45.

The main thing I learned, however, is that Landon Donovan and, to a lesser extent, Alexi Lalas need to just accept they are bald(ing) and just own it. Nothing at all wrong with being bald, but Donovan is trying to fluff up every hair remaining.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Another game tonight vs St. Kitts and Nevis (whoever Nevis is?? :rolleyes:) Should, should, be a walk in the park. Except they are probably just going to park the bus. Maybe 9-10 guys in the box. :p Could be kind of hard to score. Although if we give up anything.....:mad:.

They've played the 16th, 20th, 25th and now tonight. 4th game in about 12 days. Ain't gonna help them any.

Heard JMorris is out with a minor knee problem (we're not supposed to cheer, right?). And please tell me we won't need a double pivot to protect the back line (Sands and AMorris).

You know the lineups for the League of Nations were pretty good. Then they announce GGG is back and all of a sudden the lineup doesn't make sense again. Coincidence? I guess we'll see tonight who's really making the lineup.

Zendejas. I just don't get it with him. A lot of talking heads really like him. I just haven't seen anything from him yet. Not sure what I'm missing.

Anyway tonight, let's try something different.

Turner (or let Slonina have a game)

Reynolds - Miazga - Neal - Jones (I don't think MRobinson is back yet)

Mihailovic - Busio - Sonora

Ferriera - Vasquez - Cowell

Just to see what happens.

Reaction Score
So what's nations league v gold cup?
Need more NA v SA tournaments

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
So what's nations league v gold cup?
Need more NA v SA tournaments
Officially, the Gold Cup involves the top 16 teams in CONCACAF, and it helps to determine the best team in CONCACAF. Meanwhile, the CONCACAF Nations League involves all 41 teams in CONCACAF, and it serves as the qualifier for the Gold Cup.

In practice, the Gold Cup - the Concacaf Championship akin to the UEFA Championship or the Copa America, except people really care about the last two.

Nations League - recently added to the FIFA schedule which means access to better club players and a more favorable schedule. Designed to get more high level matches for smaller nations who would have zero chance at making the Gold Cup (before it was expanded to 16 teams). It replaces the endless string of non-competitive friendlies that used to occur. Doesn't benefit the US, Mexico, or other top federations, but it does give more flexibility with rosters as neither trophy really means anything in terms of world soccer prestige.

Reaction Score
USMNT defeats St KItts/Nevis 6-0. This B squad did what our A squad often struggled to do just a few year ago. It put away a weaker opponent early and feasted all night. While the game and outcome were expected. A few years back, we often let a team like this hang around until the second half and made a few unforced blunders. A meaningless game but not a meaningless performance, it's evidence in how far US soccer has come.

Reaction Score
USMNT defeats St KItts/Nevis 6-0. This B squad did what our A squad often struggled to do just a few year ago. It put away a weaker opponent early and feasted all night. While the game and outcome were expected. A few years back, we often let a team like this hang around until the second half and made a few unforced blunders. A meaningless game but not a meaningless performance, it's evidence in how far US soccer has come.

It’s a C squad. And St. Kites is like semi pro in quality.

Reaction Score
Isn’t that the island that Epstein owned?
If you're not being faceitous, no, it's not. Nevis is one of two populated islands across a channel that makes up the country of St. Kitts and Nevis. Epstein's island was a private island that is part of the USVI.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If you're not being faceitous, no, it's not. Nevis is one of two populated islands across a channel that makes up the country of St. Kitts and Nevis. Epstein's island was a private island that is part of the USVI.
I imagine the V was in name only.

Reaction Score
I imagine the V was in name only.
On the one hand, that's very funny. On the other, given the seriousness of Epstein's crimes, I'm going to try not to laugh at it. But how is it that I haven't heard that joke made until just now?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
On the one hand, that's very funny. On the other, given the seriousness of Epstein's crimes, I'm going to try not to laugh at it. But how is it that I haven't heard that joke made until just now?
I don't know how you hadn't heard anything alluding to that.

The original joke goes back quite a while that I know of. Mae West had a live routine (nearly 100 years ago) and in one of the sketches she was explaining where she went on vacation:

One person says "oh, you mean the Virgin Islands" Mae West responded "Not anymore!"

So yeah, I kind of pilfered the line.

And for the record, there isn't a deep enough corner in hell for Epstein for me to feel he'll get what's due to him.

Reaction Score
Obviously the competition in this tourney isn’t great, but this team looks more well-coached than at any point under Berhalter.

I can’t believe we have to go back to watching his garbage tactics in the next few months.

Reaction Score
Obviously the competition in this tourney isn’t great, but this team looks more well-coached than at any point under Berhalter.

I can’t believe we have to go back to watching his garbage tactics in the next few months.
It will be interesting to see how the team performs with Berhalter, now that we have a baseline of how the team can perform under a different coach.

Since the Gold Cup recently has become a showcase for younger guys and seeing who can make a case for the A team, and because I have OCD tendencies, I thought I'd throw out some thoughts on the players on the roster (didn't see the Jamaica game).

Matt Turner-Huge PK save against Jamaica to keep the US in the game, still the clear #1.
Gaga Slonina-Wish he got the start against St. Kitts & Nevis just to get his feet wet in official competition.
Sean Johnson-Good to see him continuing with the program, never could make the breakthrough as the first or second choice keeper, but give him credit for continuing to accept call-ups and keeping his name in the mix. Wish he started tonight instead of against St.Kitts&Nevis.

DeJuan Jones-If he was 5 years younger or born 15 years ago he'd be an interesting raw prospect with some speed and athleticism, but for the current team I'm not sure he'll ever be more than a depth piece; he's one of those guys you wish had been placed in a professional environment earlier in his career instead of playing 4 years of college.
Aaron Long-Nothing more than the "veteran guy" at this point-if we see him on the field for the US in a big match moving forward, there's tons of injured players or the coach sucks.
Matt Miazga-Seems to think he's better than he actually is; makes some fairly bad giveaways/defending mistakes that would be punished against better teams, but somehow gives off the aura that he thinks it's beneath him to be playing these weak CONCACAF teams. I may be completely wrong about him, but that's the impression that his play on the field and his body language conveys to me. Ahead of Long, but I don't see him pushing for a starting slot unless he cleans up his game.
Jalen Neal-Probably enjoying the "shiny new toy" effect, but I was very impressed with his composure, his passing, his defending, and his ability to dribble the ball under pressure. Very intriguing prospect, could see him challenging for a starting slot if he continues to develop.
Bryan Reynolds-I really like what he's shown so far, his ability to push forward, his defending, his dribbling in tight spaces. Great goal against St.Kitts&Nevis. If he can continue to polish his game, improve his crossing, he can challenge for a starting spot.
Miles Robinson-Nothing really stands out during the Gold Cup, working his way back from his Nations League injury, the presumptive starter.
John Tolkin-Missed his start against Jamaica, so can't say anything.
DeAndre Yedlin-The veteran RB option, pretty much a finished product, but a viable option off the bench.

Gianluca Busio-I like his technical skills, but his calmness on the ball is on the very edge of being lackadaisical with the ball. Always seems to go for the fancy pass vs the safe pass, causing unnecessary turnovers and giveaways. Not a high-energy defender; not great in the final third with the final pass/shot (despite his goal tonight); I get a little of the same feeling from him as Miazga, that these games are beneath him(again, I could be completely wrong) He's still young enough to continue to develop, but I expected more after watching him debut a few years back. Want to see more energy, more urgency, better decision-making to go with his technical ability.
Djordje Mihailovic-Looked great against St.Kitts&Nevis, nothing really stood out against T&T; not sure if it's the level of competition or just an off day. Got some things going for him as a connecting piece between the defense and offense, but needs to develop to challenge for roster spot for Copa America/World Cup. (Way better at set piece delivery than Pulisic though!-seriously, Christian shouldn't be taking set pieces)
Aidan Morris-Read that he was eligible for Canada; knowing our luck, if he had chosen Canada he somehow would torch us every time, but I've seen nothing from him that indicates that he could be a vital player in the future. He's still young, but as a defensive midfielder he'll have a tough time displacing any of the MMA guys.
Christian Roldan-OK as a depth piece, but will never challenge for a starting spot. Was terrible tonight in a more forward role, but that's not really his position for the USMNT (maybe it works in MLS for the Sounders). If he's end-of-the-roster guy for the Copa or World Cup, not the worst thing.
James Sands-I actually think he's pretty decent as a defensive MF, but his passing, ability to carry the ball forward, and his offensive game are lacking at this point; when he tried to make passes into the offensive third tonight, it was pretty much a guaranteed turnover. He's still young enough to improve, despite the somewhat disappointing time on loan with Rangers, but like Aidan Morris, it will be tough to displace any of the MMA-currently competing with Acosta, Morris, others for a roster spot to back them up.
Alan Soñora-Has some skills on the ball, but like with Busio, I find his decision-making suspect. Felt like he was too much in his own head and not playing freely (just my impression). More energy and defense from him compared to Busio, but Busio seems better technically. Not completely out of contention, but a long road ahead if he wants to make the roster for the Copa and World Cup.

Cade Cowell-Was terrible starting against St.Kitts&Nevis, great off the bench tonight against T&T. Right now his skillset makes him a super-sub, running at tired defenses. Needs more polish and end-product to his game to move beyond that; his finishing and crossing needs to be way better against better (and packed-in) defenses. Needs to produce end-product in general; only 9 goals in 94 MLS appearances isn't very good. Plays more like a running back than a forward/winger at times. Still only 19, and was apparently good at the U-20 World Cup against age peers, so definitely a prospect to keep an eye on, but currently not making the Copa or World Cup.
Jesús Ferreira-Hard to argue against 2 hat-tricks in a row. Still needs to show results against better competition, but he clearly keeps earning his chances to play, as opposed to some of his competition. Would like to see him move to Europe soon; he won't get much better playing in MLS.
Julian Gressel-Obviously not going to be the future of the USMNT, making his debut this year in his age-29 season, but I think it's cool that a German becomes a US citizen as an adult and plays for the USMNT, as opposed to the sons of US servicemen that we normally get from Germany. Very little chance to make the roster for the big tourneys coming up, but not a guy that hurts the team with his play.
Jordan Morris-A big what-if of this era+injuries, never to completely fulfill the potential he flashed as a youngster. I hope as soccer continues to grow in the US, we have fewer guys make the choice Morris made to stay in the MLS; conversely, I hope the MLS grows enough to not hinder the development of guys who make the choice to stay. I hope college soccer becomes a venue for guys who fell through the cracks or late-bloomers, not a first-choice option for guys looking to become a professional soccer player.
Brandon Vazquez-Is he the best target-man-type striker that we have? Maybe; it's a jumble with Dike always injured, Pefok wildly inconsistent, Hoppe falling off a cliff, etc.; Pepi and Sargent may be ahead, but nobody has cemented the position as theirs, and Balogun plays differently. He's missed some chances the past couple games, but as a sub, scoring once in 2 games isn't bad. I hope he gets a chance to move to Europe after this season, but FC Cincinnati seems to want to hang on to him until at least the end of this season.
Alex Zendejas-Another guy with skills but no end-product. Seemed to be pressing and completely tense when he was on the field. Has a chance to establish a spot for himself as a guy who can hold on to the ball and carry it forward like Luca de la Torre, but needs to get out his head and just play, make things happen.

Reaction Score
Other than Matt Turner and Miles Robinson, very few of these guys are going to have a real chance to be on the World Cup squad in 3 years. Maybe Slolnina, MIazga (sub only and doubtful), Reynolds, Cowell and the two strikers. I don't get what the fuss was about Zendejas -- I just don't see anything when he plays.

Reaction Score
Other than Matt Turner and Miles Robinson, very few of these guys are going to have a real chance to be on the World Cup squad in 3 years. Maybe Slolnina, MIazga (sub only and doubtful), Reynolds, Cowell and the two strikers. I don't get what the fuss was about Zendejas -- I just don't see anything when he plays.
Those are the only two with a chance to start and play, but I could see a few of these guys making the World Cup roster.

In my opinion, Ferreira should easily be behind Balogun and Pepi on the depth chart. But I do think he gets unfairly lumped into the “he’s only here because of the MLS” group considering he’s 22, setting USMNT records, and likely to end up in Europe in the near future. I also think he caught some of the backlash from Berhalter benching Gio in the World Cup, but he certainly didn’t crush it when he got his chance last summer. He’s got a ways to go before he gets meaningful minutes over the A team, but he belongs on the roster.

Mihailovic and Busio are interesting prospects as well, although I don’t see them starting on the USMNT A squad anytime soon (if ever). Zendejas, Cowell, and Vazquez show flashes as well, but all three of them been extremely inconsistent (and sometimes bad) all tourney so far. Zendejas is the type of player who may take longer for things to click at this level, but I’m not ready to give up on his talent.

I never know how to evaluate defenders, but Reynolds and Neal have probably helped their cases so far. However, I can’t remember a time when the U.S. was this deep and talented in the back, so they’ll have a tough time breaking into the A team.

Reaction Score
Looking at the B squad as a whole makes it interesting when you looks where we were 5-6 years ago. Our first touches were universally horrible. We were poor with possession. We would lose one on one battles all over the field. We constantly gave the ball away even with no pressure. We squandered chance after chance on goal. We would have defensive lapses leading to glorious opportunities fro our opponents. Still (thanks to the competition) those squads competed well and we won more than we lost.

This team is winning games 6-0. They pass better. They finish better. The chemistry is better. They look dangerous in the final third. The defense still needs work but they stopped with the regular blunders. The team more skilled and deeper than in any time in recent pass. It's watchable.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Lots of fodder for Camp Cupcake, but no real relevations here based on competition alone. Miazga can show himself out of the pool barring injury. Miles Robinson needs to get himself playing time in Europe as soon as possible. Striker role is still up for grabs. No one has seized it yet, next guy to make a leap in ability may find themselves starting in 2026 assuming GGG gets fired (80% chance) by then.

Sands should get a few opportunities but with Reyna playing the 10. The midfield (MMA+R) is awfully full right now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom