2023-24 Transfer portal announcements | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2023-24 Transfer portal announcements

Reaction Score
Which she shouldn't get IMO.
I agree however there are posts out there claiming she was cleared.

This has been a topic for a debate on the board too. Some have been of the opinion that they could still be approved regardless of the rules. This applies both to transferring before the deadline for those who qualify for the one-time exception and two-time non-graduate transfers.

Reaction Score
I believe Diamond Johnson's transfer experience is different than most. The health of C. Vivian Stringer was called into question when she left. I feel like that shouldn't count the same as the average player just leaving just because of playing time and such.

Reaction Score
Interesting and confusing at the same time. Thought she had gotten her waiver per previous posts on social media.

If Johnon gets one, the NCAA should just save everyone time and do away with the waiver form at all.

I'm one of the jerks who think all transfers, minus true graduate ones, should have to sit out a year but that rule is dead. Now we have waivers for the new rule. If the NCAA caves then just stop wasting everyone's time and rubber stamp things.

Reaction Score

Has anyone else seen this? If they're doing this for 2024 - 2025 then why fight the lawsuit that's in front of the courts? Just kill the rule and put everyone out of their misery please, if you ask me.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Maggie Mendelson, Nebraska volleyball and basketball, has entered the transfer portal. Unsure if she’s in the portal for just volleyball, just basketball, or both. Her scholarship was a basketball one.

Update from Raoul:

Seems Mendelson is only in the portal for Volleyball. So, I think her basketball career is over or on an indefinite pause.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
She was a top 5 recruit in volleyball, #32 recruit in basketball so it makes sense to choose volleyball. Too talented of a kid to ride the bench in both sports, I wish her the best and think she'll make an impact wherever she ends up.
Stanford apparently recruited her sufficiently that they thought she was admissible as a frosh, and WBB has an extra scholarship, so in theory Stanford could be one landing spot, as our WVB is apparently in need of a MB. I don't quite understand how this works, but some on our fan board think if she's on both rosters she can still us a WBB scholly even if her primary sport is WVB (which generally doesn't provide enough schollys for every player on the team). I think entering the portal for WVB just means that WVB coaches can affirmatively reach out to her (as opposed to WBB coaches), but I would assume if she wants to be rostered on both teams, the WVB coach point-of-contact could liaise about recruiting with the WBB coaches too.

Will be interesting to see what Mikayla Blakes decides, as I think our WBB team only has one scholly remaining for next season.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Kennedy Fauntleroy, who transferred from Georgetown to Oklahoma State, has left Ok. State, according to this post from
Raoul: She played in five games, averaging 23 mpg and 10+ ppg, so it's not as if she wasn't getting minutes when on the floor.
OSU apparently went out their way to state this was her -- not their -- decision, so the reasons are hers. Will be interesting to see where she ends up next.

At the same time, during Xmas break, the Cowgirls added a former Kansas State player, Emilee Ebert, who apparently is eligible to play...now...since she transferred last May.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Kennedy Fauntleroy, who transferred from Georgetown to Oklahoma State, has left Ok. State, according to this post from
Raoul: She played in five games, averaging 23 mpg and 10+ ppg, so it's not as if she wasn't getting minutes when on the floor.
OSU apparently went out their way to state this was her -- not their -- decision, so the reasons are hers. Will be interesting to see where she ends up next.

It's sometimes perplexing and amusing to see players transfer to places that are nothing like where they are leaving. I camt image going from going to school in DC... With a campus jn the Georgetown section to Stillwater. Or the lady who left Seton Hall to go to Starkville MS. But anyway... Simply musing

Dillon77

Reaction Score
It's sometimes perplexing and amusing to see players transfer to places that are nothing like where they are leaving. I camt image going from going to school in DC... With a campus jn the Georgetown section to Stillwater. Or the lady who left Seton Hall to go to Starkville MS. But anyway... Simply musing
Yes, that caught my attention, as well. It will be interesting, to say the least, to see where she goes for the third go-round. Back to the East Coast? An urban setting? I don't know how her grades are but I could see her playing well in a Columbia system. There will also be some backcourt openings "up" in Marquette next year.

Reaction Score
Yeah I agree. Nothing is wrong with either setting but I’m sure it is like being in a separate planet. I asked the same to L Park-Lane. She said where she went to high school was in a town smaller than Starkville even though Wilmington, Delaware was close. She also said they really don’t think about it because they are so busy with workouts and studying that at both places you get used to the area where you go to class, workouts and a few hangout places. Atlanta and New Orleans are each approximately 4 hours away so alot of the students will go there for weekends where there isn’t a football game.

The most consistent thing I’ve heard is the bigger adjustment is the lack of anonymity in Starkville. Most of the Mississippi State women’s basketball fans are older. A few of the players said they would be caught off guard at a restaurant or grocery store when a fan approaches them and just starts talking.

PS- K Fauntleroy was one of my favorite portal players last offseason. Best of luck to her.

Reaction Score
Yeah I agree. Nothing is wrong with either setting but I’m sure it is like being in a separate planet. I asked the same to L Park-Lane. She said where she went to high school was in a town smaller than Starkville even though Wilmington, Delaware was close. She also said they really don’t think about it because they are so busy with workouts and studying that at both places you get used to the area where you go to class, workouts and a few hangout places. Atlanta and New Orleans are each approximately 4 hours away so alot of the students will go there for weekends where there isn’t a football game.

The most consistent thing I’ve heard is the bigger adjustment is the lack of anonymity in Starkville. Most of the Mississippi State women’s basketball fans are older. A few of the players said they would be caught off guard at a restaurant or grocery store when a fan approaches them and just starts talking.

PS- K Fauntleroy was one of my favorite portal players last offseason. Best of luck to her.
I thought the Maryland Terrapins whiffed on her last year. They needed a PG and they put all their eggs in the Tania Mair basket and lost. Fortunately, the Terps got a good PG in the 2024 class.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
HerHoopsStats Article Examine Transfers

Some exec. bullet points from the attached article, written by Derek Willis:

• Nearly one in six players on NCAA rosters this season previously played at a different school, according to an analysis of roster data.
  • For Division I players, that rate is closer to one in three.
  • Just 13 D-I teams - not counting the Ivy League - do not have a transfer player on their rosters.
  • Although transfers occur at every level of college basketball, they mostly are a Division I event. More than 1,600 D-I players this season came from another school - more than 32 percent, almost twice as high as the percentage for D-II.
  • While the Sunbelt Conference has the most transfers -- 51.4% (yes, that's more than half) -- The Big 12, with 45.3%, is a standout among the Power 5 conferences; the others’ percentage of transfers range from between 27% (Big Ten) to 36% (SEC). And the Big Ten figure is boosted by Penn State, where three of four players on the roster have experience at another school, the highest percentage of any P5 team.
  • Within the P5 conferences, switching schools in the same conference is a rare event, but that definitely doesn’t apply to the SEC. There are 18 current players in that conference who previously played on another SEC team, three times the number of Big Ten players who have moved within the conference.
  • Willis believes, to no one's surprise on this board, that "...the additional eligibility provided by the NCAA during the COVID-19 pandemic has helped make the transfer portal a hotbed of activity."
Full article here, replete with graphs:

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Kaitlyn Chen Enters Portal for Next Season

Raoul has noted on his blog that many players from the Ivy League have announced they'll enter the portal for next year; most of whom are undoubtedly looking to maximize their Covid year of NCAA eligibility. By far the most interesting of these players is Princeton's Katilyn Chen has averages of 35 mpg, 16.2 ppg (on 48% shooting from the floor) and 4.4 assists per game.
Chen is from California: many Ivy League players from the Golden State ended up at USC last year. Could Chen join them?
Or is there another school with a top-flight hoops team and grad school portfolio that would be of interest?

Reaction Score

Raoul has noted on his blog that many players from the Ivy League have announced they'll enter the portal for next year; most of whom are undoubtedly looking to maximize their Covid year of NCAA eligibility. By far the most interesting of these players is Princeton's Katilyn Chen has averages of 35 mpg, 16.2 ppg (on 48% shooting from the floor) and 4.4 assists per game.
Chen is from California: many Ivy League players from the Golden State ended up at USC last year. Could Chen join them?
Or is there another school with a top-flight hoops team and grad school portfolio that would be of interest?

At this time, she is probably the best player in the transfer portal. Maybe the Terps can strike gold twice. It will be hard because she's from California but she's already shown she will play on the east coast.

Reaction Score

I'd think Courtney Banghart and North Carolina would also be a possibility. Didn't she originally recruit Chen to Princeton?

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I'd think Courtney Banghart and North Carolina would also be a possibility. Didn't she originally recruit Chen to Princeton?
Banghart? Sure she was involved in that recruiting process while she was at Princeton.
Deja Kelly is a senior, so there could be a spot open for a seasoned guard.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom