2023-24 LSU Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

2023-24 LSU Thread

Reaction Score
For me, it's just a selfish wish to see her match up against a few more ranked teams before tournament time. If the SEC conference was a tad tougher, maybe I'd relent a bit but with how the conference is performing as a whole, that's not the case. As a WBB fan it would be nice seeing how her teams could match up potentially as it's not a given that you'll get that top tier match up during the tournament.

Reaction Score
LSU will be a 3 or 4 seed in March because of their weak schedule and the SEC being average this year.

Reaction Score
You are not new to WCBB so I am surprised by your naive post here. VERY few coaches schedule good (let alone “strong”) OOC games.They view the sole goal of the OOC to get the team ready for conference play, heck, @JellyBean just posted how impressed they were with Minn at 10-1. Most fans and many Athletic Directors seem to be clueless on the scheduling of bad OOC games to merely pad the wins, put together a sham resume for the NCAAT bid.
i defy you to name 10 coaches of the 351 D1 schools who try to play a good OOC? Heck, I doubt you could give me 5 as a year-in, year-out effort.
Your name ten coaches question is as insulting as your attitude. Look at the top SOS list from Massey and your answer will fall out.

Just because Mulkey is too lazy or afraid to play a strong oos doesn't mean it's good for the game. Nor is it good for her team to bench players and drive some to transfer because of her personality and then pretend everything is kept "in the locker room". I despise her in game tantrums, getting a double technical while up 60?, screaming and tossing things over calls. When she grows up maybe she'll be a good coach but her fans insulting and demeaning other posters is never acceptable.

Screenshot_20231228-203025.png

Reaction Score
LSU will be a 3 or 4 seed in March because of their weak schedule and the SEC being average this year.
IMO they won't be top 4 because while I expect them to be in the top half of the SEC standings, I think 2 other SEC teams (in addition to SC) will finish above LSU. Its a much weaker team than last year with less size, less perimeter shooting, less speed, there isn't anything they did to improve their roster or depth.

I see LSU as a 5-6 seed when the dust settles.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
You are not new to WCBB so I am surprised by your naive post here. VERY few coaches schedule good (let alone “strong”) OOC games.They view the sole goal of the OOC to get the team ready for conference play, heck, @JellyBean just posted how impressed they were with Minn at 10-1. Most fans and many Athletic Directors seem to be clueless on the scheduling of bad OOC games to merely pad the wins, put together a sham resume for the NCAAT bid.
i defy you to name 10 coaches of the 351 D1 schools who try to play a good OOC? Heck, I doubt you could give me 5 as a year-in, year-out effort.
Dawn. Geno. Cori. Tara. Brenda. Jeff. Kevin. Lisa. Aaron. Pat/Holly/Kelly. Year after year after year. What's my booby prize?

Reaction Score
@SECbbfan24
I’ve been an avid fan of the Boneyard for years and I enjoy reading all of the commentary on Women’s Basketball. As I’ve read most of your posts, I have to say you are literally the WORST LSU fan in the history of sports. You post some of the most negative, mind boggling statements concerning LSU and Coach Mulkey. I really hope you are a troll and not a real fan. I’ve been a Mulkey supporter since her LA Tech days and I live in Louisiana and we are thrilled that she came back home. I’ve met her several times and she is nothing like her “media persona”. If you were as well connected as you say, you would know this. So please, keep your negativity and hate to yourself and stop giving the haters more venom.

#Forever LSU

Reaction Score
@SECbbfan24
I’ve been an avid fan of the Boneyard for years and I enjoy reading all of the commentary on Women’s Basketball. As I’ve read most of your posts, I have to say you are literally the WORST LSU fan in the history of sports. You post some of the most negative, mind boggling statements concerning LSU and Coach Mulkey. I really hope you are a troll and not a real fan. I’ve been a Mulkey supporter since her LA Tech days and I live in Louisiana and we are thrilled that she came back home. I’ve met her several times and she is nothing like her “media persona”. If you were as well connected as you say, you would know this. So please, keep your negativity and hate to yourself and stop giving the haters more venom.

#Forever LSU
Thank you! I've been getting troll vibes because 99% of what they say is just waaaay over the top.

Reaction Score
Looks like the 2024 class is a bust for LSU. Back to the portal….As for their tournament seeding this season, it all depends on how they do against SC at home in January and also how they perform in the conference tournament. The SEC is indeed looking down this year, so I suspect LSU will run through their conference schedule easily enough outside of the SC matchup, where they will likely be favored due to it being a home game. Critical game for LSU, not so much for SC. They should meet again the SEC tournament on a neutral court which will be a vital game for both teams for seeding purposes.

SC is deeper than LSU this year, but LSU’s top 4 players can match up with most any team and they will be favored in every conference game this year with the possible exception of that SC matchup which is hard to determine at this point in time.

I give SC a sizable advantage in the backcourt over LSU and obviously at center, but with Morrow and Williams at the 3 and 4 slots they might have the edge at those positions, though Kitts, Watkins, Hall and Feagin might be too much depth for LSU to guard without getting in foul trouble. Reese will likely struggle some against Cardoso as has been the case in past matchups. KM will probably try DelRosario out against Cardoso to move AR to the 4 for a stretch. That would move Morrow to the 3 where I think she is less effective. I would not bet against SC winning in BR, but that will be one hostile environment on game night. Oh, and what in the world will Mulkey come up with for an outrageous outfit for that prime time game? An Elvis suit perhaps?

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Dawn. Geno. Cori. Tara. Brenda. Jeff. Kevin. Lisa. Aaron. Pat/Holly/Kelly. Year after year after year. What's my booby prize?
Brenda just recently ”upped” her schedule by adding SC, other than that her other quality games were mandated by the variouts Big10 challenges. Cori has NOT scheduled tough for her OOC, just look back in Massey which does show back until 2017. Here is her pathetic 2020 schedule that you can scroll up or back by year at the top. Massey Ratings - University of California, Los Angeles Bruins
Kelly did an ok job when he had Sabrina but now… who’s Lisa (Gonzaga?) and Aaron? Pat is deceased and Holly is unemployed so they no longer count. As far as the “booby prize”, got a mirror at your house? :rolleyes:
So by my count it is Geno, Dawn (but she also has some really weak opponent), Jeff, Lisa who regularly plays PAC 12 schools but no one else of note. Tara not as strong as you would think (again with some really weak opponents) so maybe 4 on a regular basis. Hopefully Brenda keeps this up and adds to it and maybe Tara decides to add a few former PAC12 opponents to her OOC.

Reaction Score
Brenda just recently ”upped” her schedule by adding SC, other than that her other quality games were mandated by the variouts Big10 challenges. Cori has NOT scheduled tough for her OOC, just look back in Massey which does show back until 2017. Here is her pathetic 2020 schedule that you can scroll up or back by year at the top. Massey Ratings - University of California, Los Angeles Bruins
Kelly did an ok job when he had Sabrina but now… who’s Lisa (Gonzaga?) and Aaron? Pat is deceased and Holly is unemployed so they no longer count. As far as the “booby prize”, got a mirror at your house? :rolleyes:
So by my count it is Geno, Dawn (but she also has some really weak opponent), Jeff, Lisa who regularly plays PAC 12 schools but no one else of note. Tara not as strong as you would think (again with some really weak opponents) so maybe 4 on a regular basis. Hopefully Brenda keeps this up and adds to it and maybe Tara decides to add a few former PAC12 opponents to her OOC.

This is so weirdly off base it feels like a bit.

Reaction Score
LSU thread a bit quiet these days.

Watching LSU play recently, I love how balanced their scoring and shot attempts are across the board 1-5. Its really a lineup where anyone can get a shot and bucket at anytime. Ole Miss and A&M aren't great teams per say but the offensive performance against both has to be encouraging (84 and 87 points). I do think the team still completely forgets Hailey Van Lith exists at times being wide open on quite a few players and still doesn't get passed the ball but the last couple games her shot is starting to come around.

The team still lacks chemistry on the defensive end at times but the issue is they give up so many points from silly turnovers and I think they get gassed from no bench. Granted I think the lack of a bench is one of LSUs biggest issues. I'm a little shocked Kim left 3 open scholarships this offseason knowing some of her freshmen probably weren't close to being ready to contribute. In the post game interview Mulkey seemed very aggravated with her bench players and says she will ride 6-7 players because they aren't earning those minutes with their play. The writing may be on the wall for some on the bench it seems with her comments.

Reaction Score
LSU thread a bit quiet these days.

Watching LSU play recently, I love how balanced their scoring and shot attempts are across the board 1-5. Its really a lineup where anyone can get a shot and bucket at anytime. Ole Miss and A&M aren't great teams per say but the offensive performance against both has to be encouraging (84 and 87 points). I do think the team still completely forgets Hailey Van Lith exists at times being wide open on quite a few players and still doesn't get passed the ball but the last couple games her shot is starting to come around.

The team still lacks chemistry on the defensive end at times but the issue is they give up so many points from silly turnovers and I think they get gassed from no bench. Granted I think the lack of a bench is one of LSUs biggest issues. I'm a little shocked Kim left 3 open scholarships this offseason knowing some of her freshmen probably weren't close to being ready to contribute. In the post game interview Mulkey seemed very aggravated with her bench players and says she will ride 6-7 players because they aren't earning those minutes with their play. The writing may be on the wall for some on the bench it seems with her comments.

Missed the last couple games. Appreciate this update and your thoughts on how the team is progressing.

Reaction Score
That number 1 recruiting class is looking very fraudulent.
MK is legit, rosario was always a bit raw and a project. To her credit she has slimmed down a lot. I actually think she will be solid eventually.

Idk how velez and Kent were ranked when I watch them play. Maybe I’m being too hard on freshmen but they don’t look good at all. Flaujae, smith and Poa is 100% a better recruiting class than this current freshmen class.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That number 1 recruiting class is looking very fraudulent.
It's waaaaaaaaaay to early to be making these kinds of statements. Some players are just late bloomers. Let's not give up on them in the first half of their freshman season...

Reaction Score
I think Mikaylah Williams elevated them a lot. The rest are not good.
I'm skeptical on Kent and Velez, I think Rosario has upside and brings great size that can alter a lot shots on the defensive end, I don't think all these top programs recruited her if she wasn't talented or she wouldn't have made Team USA if these coaches didn't see anything. Everyone who followed Rosario out of HS knew she was pretty raw and it was going to be a bit of a process wherever she decided to go to school. Never was she going to be a major impact year one. She a true 6'6 big, extremely extremely raw but physically has all the tools for a great imposing center. She put herself in a position to have success in the future getting in way better shape than when I saw her in all those All Star games last year. Its going to be a tough year for her year one, I think you see her take a legit step year two though. She has shown flashes but she really needs a full offseason of individual development and reps. I believe this past summer she went to LSU and got surgery done on her ankle and skipped playing with team USA and didn't start really practicing until later fall.

I'd say its a big win for Rosario physically to be where she is at right now. The confidence, learning to play with the physicality of a 6'6 player is going to take a bit of time for her tho.

No question MK is LSU's most gifted true freshmen since Fowles. She has work to do defensively but offensively she can simply just explode and takeover a game whenever she wants.

Reaction Score
Williams is just fabulous. She’s one of those players where every shot looks like it’s going in. She may not have their same explosiveness but Bueckers and Clark are two others that come to mind. Recognize those names?

Reaction Score
Looks like the 2024 class is a bust for LSU. Back to the portal….As for their tournament seeding this season, it all depends on how they do against SC at home in January and also how they perform in the conference tournament. The SEC is indeed looking down this year, so I suspect LSU will run through their conference schedule easily enough outside of the SC matchup, where they will likely be favored due to it being a home game. Critical game for LSU, not so much for SC. They should meet again the SEC tournament on a neutral court which will be a vital game for both teams for seeding purposes.

SC is deeper than LSU this year, but LSU’s top 4 players can match up with most any team and they will be favored in every conference game this year with the possible exception of that SC matchup which is hard to determine at this point in time.

I give SC a sizable advantage in the backcourt over LSU and obviously at center, but with Morrow and Williams at the 3 and 4 slots they might have the edge at those positions, though Kitts, Watkins, Hall and Feagin might be too much depth for LSU to guard without getting in foul trouble. Reese will likely struggle some against Cardoso as has been the case in past matchups. KM will probably try DelRosario out against Cardoso to move AR to the 4 for a stretch. That would move Morrow to the 3 where I think she is less effective. I would not bet against SC winning in BR, but that will be one hostile environment on game night. Oh, and what in the world will Mulkey come up with for an outrageous outfit for that prime time game? An Elvis suit perhaps?
Regarding "I suspect LSU will run through their conference schedule easily enough outside of the SC matchup, where they will likely be favored due to it being a home game." I don't know how the gambling odds makers will rate it by Massey gives LSU only a 28% chance of winning. His score is SC 76 LSU 67.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom