2022 Fall Training Camp | Page 12 | The Boneyard

2022 Fall Training Camp

Reaction Score
True, that's why I'm glad they're getting Guidone as many reps as possible at C before the start of the season. From all I've read he was FCS-AA at LG for Dartmouth, and even played some TE, but C is a completely new position for him.
Not sure I understand why you take an AA Left Guard and move him to center. There should be better options than de-optimizing a solid position player who has tools for the job he does well. But, what do I know.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Not sure I understand why you take an AA Left Guard and move him to center. There should be better options than de-optimizing a solid position player who has tools for the job he does well. But, what do I know.

Well, it comes down to coaches thinking Haynes and Ofori-Nyadu are good guards and trying to find a spot for Fortin and Guidone. I had no problem with Fortin at C last year when he was healthy. So, maybe it comes down to between Guidone and Fortin, who the staff thought would be a better RT while Lundt heals up. Seems like staff likes the idea of keeping Guidone on the inside as either a G or C whereas they think Fortin can play RT.

I have no faith in any returning player other than Fortin to play C.

Reaction Score
Well, it comes down to coaches thinking Haynes and Ofori-Nyadu are good guards and trying to find a spot for Fortin and Guidone. I had no problem with Fortin at C last year when he was healthy. So, maybe it comes down to between Guidone and Fortin, who the staff thought would be a better RT while Lundt heals up. Seems like staff likes the idea of keeping Guidone on the inside as either a G or C whereas they think Fortin can play RT.

To add on, we don’t know how he will do in the FBS level till he actually plays. We have seen a share of FCS and FBS players come in and underperform. Plus I’m sure Mora wants to play the best guys up front. When you bring in a transfer and the guys you already have on the team prior are stepping it up in practice, it makes your job harder as a coach on who to start because as much as you want depth, you also don’t wanna leave a guy who could be starting at another FBS on the bench. Hence we see a lot of players on the O-line switching around at different positions. It’s a good problem to have but you also don’t wanna lose a potential starter to the portal.

Reaction Score

We might end up seeing 6-linemen lined up on the field if our TE cannot block for certain packages, I believe during spring ball, I saw us run 6-oline at times on certain packages

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
To add on, we don’t know how he will do in the FBS level till he actually plays. We have seen a share of FCS and FBS players come in and underperform. Plus I’m sure Mora wants to play the best guys up front. When you bring in a transfer and the guys you already have on the team prior are stepping it up in practice, it makes your job harder as a coach on who to start because as much as you want depth, you also don’t wanna leave a guy who could be starting at another FBS on the bench. Hence we see a lot of players on the O-line switching around at different positions. It’s a good problem to have but you also don’t wanna lose a potential starter to the portal.

On the flip side no matter how well you manage the roster, playing time and expectations, you can expect to lose 5-10 players a year you thought you had managed well and were developing for the future. It's a brave new world out in the wild west of roster management and I think I'm leaning towards maximize everything each year and let the chips fall where they may in the offseason. Every season is now a rebuild and reload.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
We might end up seeing 6-linemen lined up on the field if our TE cannot block for certain packages, I believe during spring ball, I saw us run 6-oline at times on certain packages

It's not uncommon or unheard of to do that. Just make sure lineman #6 checks in as an eligible receiver. Heck, use five linemen and put a sixth lineman in as a blocking FB or H back.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Guidone did play TE ;)

And if this were Diaco, there would be 11 former QB recruits who were all converted to TE lined up for the play. Defense wouldn't know what to do. All 11 players could throw the ball or catch the ball.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
This thread/Mora has me fired up, might take me from a lurker to a poster on the football board
Navery,

If you're a local I have a pair if tickets for you (and a friend) for any home game this year. I also throw a pretty good tailgate which you are welcome to join, all you'll need is an appetite.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
On the flip side no matter how well you manage the roster, playing time and expectations, you can expect to lose 5-10 players a year you thought you had managed well and were developing for the future. It's a brave new world out in the wild west of roster management and I think I'm leaning towards maximize everything each year and let the chips fall where they may in the offseason. Every season is now a rebuild and reload.
When we start losing kids to move up or laterally for more playing time, I'll figure we've turned a corner. Anybody he's that worried about losing, is probably good enough to see the field.

Reaction Score

In training camp, moving players around an offensive line not only helps your depth, it gives the players a better understanding of everyone's job. That builds understanding and communication among the offensive line. It's a common practice. It also helps the coaches figure out who can play where.

My guess is that Haynes position is written in ink on the two deep. But injuries often interfere with the best laid plans.

Reaction Score
Any news on Cam Ross?
From last week:

-> The ongoing rehab on his injured foot isn’t letting Ross participate fully in the team’s fall practices yet, but the redshirt sophomore from Newark, Delaware is thrilled to be playing a role again nonetheless.

“It was a rough time, but I’m just glad to be back with my team,” Ross said after practice Tuesday at the Shenkman Center. “I definitely learned my limits (during the recovery process), more mentally than physically, I would say. You have a lot of time to think to yourself.” <-

-> Ross said his injured foot is “healthy” and that he would be ready to go when UConn opens its season at Utah State in 24 days. “I feel good,” Ross said. “I’m healthy. I can promise you I’m going to be out there August 27th.” <-

Reaction Score
The UConn Blog after signing day had Mora saying Guidone has League aspirations. Sees Guidone as a future NFL center. Playing OC may have been the come to getting him to commit here.

Reaction Score
Navery,

If you're a local I have a pair if tickets for you (and a friend) for any home game this year. I also throw a pretty good tailgate which you are welcome to join, all you'll need is an appetite.
Sorry, missed this yesterday. I'm in NY but that's local enough for me so may take you up on this. Thanks!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Sorry, missed this yesterday. I'm in NY but that's local enough for me so may take you up on this. Thanks!
You should take me up on it (and I'm happy to introduce more UConn fans to the football program).

It may take Mora a little time to make us competitive but the Rent is an awesome place when packed and a competitive team has always drawn fans.

Check out the schedule and let me know.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom