2022 Coaching Carousel Begins… | Page 9 | The Boneyard

2022 Coaching Carousel Begins…

Reaction Score
When you are the school that has to give Karl Dorrell a huge buyout to take the position, you should strongly consider being more patient with the next hire because you clearly aren’t a destination job.
They should see if they can take Mel Tucker back as the MSU folks would likely be real interested at this point.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

So...didn't Hugh Freeze just sign an extension until 2030?

And I don't see Kiffin going to auburn. He is better off at Ole Miss. Ole Miss will tolerate a mediocre season. Auburn won't. Auburn is a crappy job. I think he is at Ole Miss until Saben retires...or a similar level job opens up.

Ruhle doesn't seem like an SEC coach to me...but he did well at Baylor.

Reaction Score
The new Auburn Coach could be Hugh Freeze but I say it will be TCU's Sonny Dykes--or outside shot--Luke Fickell (Brian Kelly started the Yankee to the SEC trend).
I'd love to see Matt Rhule at Colorado. I'm not enamored with the guy everyone mentions, Iowa State's Matt Cambell.

Reaction Score

he should be.... everybody knew BCU was having a down year.... It's just that everybody also thought that UConn Football wasn't worth 2 pennies... WRONG! we're on the uptick folks... and there's still a few on this board that fall along with that pessimistic mindset... Get over it and get on board.. UConn Football is on the way back... still got work to do, but, finally, you (we all) can see we're headed in the right direction...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I think Harsin is a really good coach and Malzahn is killing it at UCF. Auburn may want to look in the mirror. Although burning through more coaches and driving that program further into the ground is more fun as a non-Auburn fan.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I would rank the P5 openings from a coach's perspective:

1) Wisconsin - Big 10 school, tradition, decent local recruiting, should do fine in NIL.
2) Georgia Tech - ACC which means opportunity to improve the program because there is only one other powerhouse in the league. Great local recruiting and Atlanta location should make it an NIL powerhouse. Great academics too.
3) Arizona State - no academic requirements and SoCal recruiting is wide open now with USC and UCLA playing their falls in the midwest. Decent history and potential to become a powerhouse in the West with the right coach. Relatively loyal to coaches, to a point.
4) Auburn - Completely unrealistic expectations for the #2 school in Alabama. Auburn fired Chizek 2 years after winning a national championship. There are 8-10 programs in the SEC with more potential than Auburn. Auburn's only natural advantage, its willingness to cheat shamelessly, no longer matters in an NIL world.
5) Nebraska - I am not sure this program is even trying anymore. I think they fire a coach every few years to pacify the alums but UConn has almost as much chance of making the Top 10 in the next 5 years as Nebraska. If you want to see a great Nebraska team, look it up on youtube. There won't be one in Lincoln ever again.
6) Colorado - I forgot Colorado, and I think everyone else does too. This program is DEFINITELY not trying. Their fans have never cared, and the only time they were good was when Bill McCartney was importing LA Crips members. Colorado fans are happier lighting up and hitting the slopes rather than worrying about a football game, and I can't blame them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think Harsin is a really good coach and Malzahn is killing it at UCF. Auburn may want to look in the mirror. Although burning through more coaches and driving that program further into the ground is more fun as a non-Auburn fan.
The question with Harsin is whether he goes down into a different HC position like UAB or Colorado, or takes a power coordinator position.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The question with Harsin is whether he goes down into a different HC position like UAB or Colorado, or takes a power coordinator position.

ASU might be interested. I think he could do good work there.

Reaction Score

1) Wisconsin - Big 10 school, tradition, decent local recruiting, should do fine in NIL.
2) Georgia Tech - ACC which means opportunity to improve the program because there is only one other powerhouse in the league. Great local recruiting and Atlanta location should make it an NIL powerhouse. Great academics too.
3) Arizona State - no academic requirements and SoCal recruiting is wide open now with USC and UCLA playing their falls in the midwest. Decent history and potential to become a powerhouse in the West with the right coach. Relatively loyal to coaches, to a point.
4) Auburn - Completely unrealistic expectations for the #2 school in Alabama. Auburn fired Chizek 2 years after winning a national championship. There are 8-10 programs in the SEC with more potential than Auburn. Auburn's only natural advantage, its willingness to cheat shamelessly, no longer matters in an NIL world.
5) Nebraska - I am not sure this program is even trying anymore. I think they fire a coach every few years to pacify the alums but UConn has almost as much chance of making the Top 10 in the next 5 years as Nebraska. If you want to see a great Nebraska team, look it up on youtube. There won't be one in Lincoln ever again.
6) Colorado - I forgot Colorado, and I think everyone else does too. This program is DEFINITELY not trying. Their fans have never cared, and the only time they were good was when Bill McCartney was importing LA Crips members. Colorado fans are happier lighting up and hitting the slopes rather than worrying about a football game, and I can't blame them.

It's a good list.

Reaction Score

One thing you have to think about. Auburn won a national championship not too long ago, so it is a place you can do that. I don’t think you can win a championship at the other schools listed.

Reaction Score
Auburn is a snake pit with a lot of big donor influence....

Having a great season ends up being a kiss of death when not repeated...Not countiing Steele's one year and Harsin...their previous four coaches had been fired and had been previously awarded SEC Coach of the Year at Auburn.

Reaction Score
One thing you have to think about. Auburn won a national championship not too long ago, so it is a place you can do that. I don’t think you can win a championship at the other schools listed.
Two coaches won ship there recently. But they do have really high unrealistic expectations there. When Bama is in your state, good luck.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

All Auburn had going for it was its willingness to completely disregard NCAA regulations, and an alumni base willing to fund its rule breaking. They outbid 5 or 6 other schools for Cam Newton, and won a title. Those days are over.

In an NIL world, everyone can pay their players, and there are plenty of alumni bases out there with more money than Auburn's. If Vanderbilt's alums every decided they wanted to have a good team, they could curb stomp Auburn's in a bidding war. Auburn has no local industry to draw from for NIL, nor a wealthy extended fan base beyond their alumni. Put Auburn side by side to Georgia Tech in an NIL world, and it is no contest. The SEC money is great, but that goes to the school. I wouldn't put it past the school to funnel money back out to the players, but there are a lot of claims on that money going into the athletic department, and it is also still illegal beyond a stipend.

And what player is going to want to deal with that when they can go to GTech or anywhere else and get paid above board?

Reaction Score
Auburn is Little Brother. The boosters are beyond insane. It’s the kind of place that you only take the job unless your buyout ensures you can buy a mansion in West Yellowstone or Jackson Hole and never work again.

Reaction Score

I was curious about Colorado and I've found they have a few message boards. Will Colorado stick with the PAC 12? Crawl back to the Big 12? End up in the MW? They have a thread about USC/UCLA with 6,163 posts.

They also have a coaching search thread and this guy included Jim Mora way back on Oct 2.

In order:
Brennon Marion
Jim Mora
Ricky Rahne
Jeff Traylor
Eric Bienemy
Bronco Mendenhall

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I was curious about Colorado and I've found they have a few message boards. Will Colorado stick with the PAC 12? Crawl back to the Big 12? End up in the MW? They have a thread about USC/UCLA with 6,163 posts.

They also have a coaching search thread and this guy included Jim Mora way back on Oct 2.

In order:
Brennon Marion
Jim Mora
Ricky Rahne
Jeff Traylor
Eric Bienemy
Bronco Mendenhall

The Colorado football head coaching search is high on the list of things I am not following. When I first put my list together of P5 openings, I forgot to include Colorado because I forgot they are P5. While I would like Mora to stick around, I get if he wants to make one last run at a P5 school. Either way, I am pretty sure he is not going to ask my opinion so there is not much I can do about it.

Reaction Score
The Colorado football head coaching search is high on the list of things I am not following. When I first put my list together of P5 openings, I forgot to include Colorado because I forgot they are P5. While I would like Mora to stick around, I get if he wants to make one last run at a P5 school. Either way, I am pretty sure he is not going to ask my opinion so there is not much I can do about it.

Only place I’m not sure about is Georgia Tech. I don’t know that they are that committed to successful athletics. I mean they hired Paul Johnson who ran a gimmicky offense that was probably never going to win a championship. Good enough coach but hiring him means you figure to go 9-4 every year. I do agree that in a 1 team league there is opportunity. Just not convinced Georgia Tech is that interested in asking it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom