2020 Starting 5 & Bench | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2020 Starting 5 & Bench

Reaction Score
It would not surprise me to see Carlton on the bench, but I think Hurley gives him the nod as the stater and more minutes to others
I was thinking the same thing.

Reaction Score
Wouldn’t that burn a year of eligibility for Martin since he already red shirted?
He redshirted? When/where?

He played 2 years at URI. He has 3 years left to play 2. If he gets a waiver, he'll play the next two, if not, he'll sit next year and play 2.

Reaction Score
With an Achilles, yeah. I'd be surprised if he played at all. Bringing him back in late Feb seems like a bad idea. He'll barely have time to shake off any rust and you could blow a year's eligible for a handful of games.
Late February seems like a very bad idea if he's on track to return in January (as reports have suggested).

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
He redshirted? When/where?

He played 2 years at URI. He has 3 years left to play 2. If he gets a waiver, he'll play the next two, if not, he'll sit next year and play 2.
You’re right I’m just stupid and thought he did for some reason

Reaction Score
Hearing Javonte Brown Ferguson will likely redshirt, and Martin will sit out like RJ Cole did. Fluid situation due to injuries and COVID, but that was initial plan.

If Martin is sitting I’m not sure we want to redshirt Javonte. That’ll leave us with 12 guys, one being Polley returning from an ACL and one being Akok returning from an Achilles. So essentially 10 healthy guys. One or two injuries and we’re back to where we’ve been the past 2 years...can never have enough healthy bodies.

Reaction Score
Whaley is a high energy role player. He started out of necessity, he has the right attitude to be a bench player. Carlton will start for sure.

Reaction Score
Cole
Bouk
Jackson
Whaley
Carlton

Sanogo gets more minutes than Carlton but Carlton will start beginning of the season. Not saying Sanogo won't be better than Carlton but i don't see how a Senior Carlton will be worse than a Freshmen Sanogo especially to start off the year. From what his coach said he'll also pick up some bad fouls so im sure he's gonna have to learn to adjust and thats gonna come from game experience.

Have a feeling Carlton is gonna be much better than we think.

Reaction Score
Whaley is a high energy role player. He started out of necessity, he has the right attitude to be a bench player. Carlton will start for sure.

The last half of the season, Whaley blew Carlton out of the water. He was efficient on offense and defense, and did just about everything we needed. If Carlton drops some weight and plays smarter, I think he can get back to form, but let's not kid ourselves and think Whaley is a starter.

With the newfound depth at the 5, I wouldn't be surprised if we started both (or Whaley/Sanogo), and based on matchups switched to a smaller lineup (Polley/Martin at the 4) when needed.

Whaley:
9.8 PPG
7.6 REB
0.9 AST
1.3 TO
2.1 BLK
1.0 STL
2.8 PF
19.1 minutes per
60% FG
77% FT (3.4 attempts)

Carlton:
5.1 PTS
5.2 REB
0.7 AST
1.5 TO
0.7 BLK
0.4 STL
3.1 PF
18.4 mpg
51% FG
47% FT (1.1 attempts per)

Reaction Score
If Martin is sitting I’m not sure we want to redshirt Javonte. That’ll leave us with 12 guys, one being Polley returning from an ACL and one being Akok returning from an Achilles. So essentially 10 healthy guys. One or two injuries and we’re back to where we’ve been the past 2 years...can never have enough healthy bodies.
You can always take a redshirt off. We can plan to redshirt him, and never play him unless we need to. You don't have to "declare" a redshirt. Just don't play the guy, and as long as he's remained academically eligible, he'll have that year on the back end. But once you play him, you've burned his redshirt.

College Basketball Redshirting Rules

Reaction Score
The last half of the season, Whaley blew Carlton out of the water. He was efficient on offense and defense, and did just about everything we needed. If Carlton drops some weight and plays smarter, I think he can get back to form, but let's not kid ourselves and think Whaley is a starter.

The numbers are even more in Whaley's favor when you look at the last seven games, starting with Akok's injury when more minutes opened up.

Once Akok went down: 12.6 & 8.4 plus 3 blocks per game. .552 from the floor. His passing skills don't translate to the box score either. Kind of ironic that he was a much better version of what we'd hoped to get out of Akok and he was buried on the bench all season.

This stretch was admittedly against pretty bleh competition outside of Memphis and Houston (which is why I mentioned that I don't it's a lock that we'll play a ton of smallball with Whaley at the five this coming season). The kid was really friggin good.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
You can always take a redshirt off. We can plan to redshirt him, and never play him unless we need to. You don't have to "declare" a redshirt. Just don't play the guy, and as long as he's remained academically eligible, he'll have that year on the back end. But once you play him, you've burned his redshirt.

College Basketball Redshirting Rules
I thought they changed the rule for redshirting where you could play a certain percentage of games, or was that only for football? Or did I just make that up?

Reaction Score
With an Achilles, yeah. I'd be surprised if he played at all. Bringing him back in late Feb seems like a bad idea. He'll barely have time to shake off any rust and you could blow a year's eligible for a handful of games.

That's my sentiment as well. I hope he proves me wrong, but that is a devistating injury to come back from. He'll probably play, but to get back to where he was will be a grind.

Reaction Score
I thought they changed the rule for redshirting where you could play a certain percentage of games, or was that only for football? Or did I just make that up?
You didn't make it up. I believe that's only for football which is why i added the link at the end of the post, but no, I'm not positive.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Brown-Ferguson gonna be averaging like 8 mpg this year lol. I would love if this starting 5 materialized at some point prior to big east play

1- Cole
2 - Bouk
3 - Jackson
4 - Whaley
5 - Sanogo
I like that 5. Until I remind myself that Martin and Polley will be very important as scorers. Especially against zones.
It looks like a front court logjam. But then I remember the 2nd championship team, where 5 front court guys 6'8" or better (Mek, CharlieV, JoshB, Hilton & Marcus White) coexisted quite nicely, all contributed and 4 went in the first round of their respective drafts.

Reaction Score
That's my sentiment as well. I hope he proves me wrong, but that is a devistating injury to come back from. He'll probably play, but to get back to where he was will be a grind.

And we're looking for skill improvement on top of the physical rehabilitation. This will be a lost year for him, but I do think he should play in the 2nd half to start gaining game confidence in his body.

Reaction Score
Cole
Bouk
Jackson
Sanogo
Carlton starts, but Ferguson gets more minutes
lets all just put the notion that sanogo will be the starting PF to rest now before it gains any traction
edit- and that brown will get more minutes than whaley

Last edited:

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
There are so many pieces I don't know where to begin. Bouk and Jackson are penciled in as starters IMO.

Cole
Bouk
Jackson
Sanogo
Carlton starts, but Ferguson gets more minutes

This line up can win the Big East
Sanogo is a center. I think our starting lineup looks something like.

Cole
Bouk
Jackson or Martin
Whaley or Jackson
Sanogo

With Gaffney backing up Cole and getting minutes at the 2. Adams backing up Bouk and getting minutes at the 3. Springs backing up Whaley. Carlton backing up Sanogo. Polley and Akok TBD. Javonte Brown Ferguson redshirting. This team is super deep Hurley is going to have some upset kids and maybe a transfer of two for sure.

One thing that we’re lacking a little bit of is big game experience. We’ll have 3 or 4 new starters, 5 completely new starters from last years first game, none of whom have played in meaningful games in March against quality opponents. I think the experience aspect of the team is a little overrated. That will come.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
We are going to be playing big boy basketball next season, and a league like the Big East will chew up frosh centers in the beginning of the season. Any of the inexperienced bigs will have trouble staying on the court, as will Carlton.

We can't play any more 4 guard lineups in the Big East. If we try 30 minutes of small ball, the opponent will get every rebound and score at will on us.

I do expect one of the young bigs to emerge and take over the center spot by season's end. Not sure who though.

I was afraid next season might be a rebuilding year, but I am feeling better about UConn's ability to compete next season.

Reaction Score
Did you watch this past season? Whaley was way better than Carlton. There were a couple games Whaley was the best player on the court.

Reaction Score
Absolutely. For some reason I was crucified a few weeks back for suggesting this if we added a big. Perfect scenario. It sounds like Sanogo wants to get to the league quickly but imagine this depth at center in 2022:
Junior Sanogo
RS Sophomore Javonte Brown Ferguson
Freshman Clingan
If sanogo is still here as a junior something has gone terribly wrong. He wants to get to league quickly and for a big man that’s one or two years max on campus.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom