2020 Starting 5 & Bench | Page 10 | The Boneyard

2020 Starting 5 & Bench

Reaction Score
Yes, because I'm sure Hurley recruited a PG who had to sit out just for him to get a wake up call when he can finally play. I can't take this post seriously. You're pleading for probably the 8th or 9th most talented guy on the team to get more minutes while saying one of the best players won't be a 25mpg guy.

Agree to disagree. Time will tell. Just like Cole was the best player in practice last year.. Better than Bouk huh ?

Reaction Score
Agree to disagree. Time will tell. Just like Cole was the best player in practice last year.. Better than Bouk huh ?

Yeah I guess the people I spoke to who were in practice every day and all the insiders saying the same thing are all wrong just because you say so. How would you know how either Cole or Bouk looked in practice? I swear some of you are rooting for Cole to be a let down.

Reaction Score
Cole will be a good player but he is a undersized 2. This team needs a floor general with all the talent that is amassed IMO. Like a T Brown. or dare I say Ollie. a point guard who runs the team first and scoring is second. Cole is a gunner. Who’s job on last team was to score. He is a smaller guard too.

Reaction Score
It's not Polley over Whaley, it's Polley with Whaley
you have sanogo on the bench? to be clear, i don't have polley starting at PF but he'll obviously get minutes there. i just think we should start big.

Cole (25) Gaffney (15)
Bouk (20) Gaffney (10) Adams (10)
Jackson (20) Polley (10) Bouk (10)
Whaley (20) Polley (10) Springs (10)
Sanogo (20) Carlton (10) Whaley (5) Brown (5)

B-Akok*
RS-Martin

Last edited:
Reaction Score
you have sanogo on the bench? to be clear, i don't have polley starting at PF but he'll obviously get minutes there. i just think we should start big.

Cole (25) Gaffney (15)
Bouk (20) Gaffney (10) Adams (10)
Jackson (20) Polley (10) Bouk (10)
Whaley (20) Polley (10) Springs (10)
Sanogo (20) Carlton (10) Whaley (5) Brown (5)

B-Akok*
RS-Martin
In the first game of the season yeah, not expecting him to come in and start game 1 freshman year. I'm sure by the end of the year he's starting with Whaley but there's so many things that will happen in between it's impossible to try and predict that now. Hard enough guessing a game 1 lineup

Reaction Score
I thought they changed the rule for redshirting where you could play a certain percentage of games, or was that only for football? Or did I just make that up?
I think you are confusing a medical redshirt with a regular redshirt. you can’t take a medical RS If you play more than x % of games. If you play 5 min you burn your regular redshirt. And a medical must be granted by NCAA it’s not automatic like a regular RS

Reaction Score
Cole will be a good player but he is a undersized 2. This team needs a floor general with all the talent that is amassed IMO. Like a T Brown. or dare I say Ollie. a point guard who runs the team first and scoring is second. Cole is a gunner. Who’s job on last team was to score. He is a smaller guard too.
Disclaimer: I really haven’t see RJ play much so I can’t predict if he’ll be as great or JH claims or a role player off the bench as other insist. But he’s a pg who averaged about 6 apg his first 2 years. I can’t see how you think he’s an undersized 2

Reaction Score
We’ll see. Point being I’m not burying him by projecting 10 minutes per game. With our depth that’s how I see it shaking out. He has a lot of competition for minutes.

You don't take a transfer who averaged 13 and 7 and play him 10 minutes per game. You just don't. He is going to get at least 15-20 minutes per game, minimum.

Reaction Score
You don't take a transfer who averaged 13 and 7 and play him 10 minutes per game. You just don't. He is going to get at least 15-20 minutes per game, minimum.

Listen man if he earns more than 10 minutes a game then we’re going to be better than even I expect. I WANT the guy to be good. But at the same time he’s a 3/4 in our system. He will be competing with Bouknight and Jackson for minutes at the 3 and with Akok and Whaley at the 4. I can’t pencil him in for 20+ minutes when he’s going up against competition like that. 2021-22 is a different story. I could easily see him getting 25 minutes when Bouk and Whaley are gone. But to say he’ll get 15-20 minutes minimum for next season if he’s eligible is a little much. If he plays next season those 15-20 minutes are coming from Bouknight, Jackson, Whaley, and Akok...

Reaction Score
In my opinion.. At Howard ..RJ had to be both the floor general and be a scoring guard due to their roster.. He has consistently outplayed 4 and 5 star D1 talented players while in HS.(on a HS team nationally ranked)..And on the AAU circuit.. He has also shown that he can perform vs BE and Big 12 guards at the college level when the opposing team is "focusing " on him.. trying to stop him.. His HOF HS coach said he consistently out-performed these 4*/5* in the biggest games.. DH does not need him to score a ton of points.. He needs a floor general..Along with JG.. I think we're in great shape at the point.. I see RJ as a left handed KEA with a jumper..

Reaction Score
I wanted to put Gaffney as a starter over Jackson, and I think that's likely the lineup early if Jackson is on the same path as Bouknight where he gets slowly integrated.

But definitely agree that the minutes with 2 bigs have to be limited. The Sanogo addition doesn't change the ideal lineups I want as much as it makes me a lot more comfortable that we can go big when needed and won't have a talent dropoff
Definitely agree, Gaffney starts next year.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Cole is a gunner. Who’s job on last team was to score. He is a smaller guard too.
You don't know this any more than I do. And I say Cole is a team player and will do what it takes to win. That's why he is here, to win games at a higher level; not being content to be the big fish in a small pond. His last team needed the scoring, this team will need him to move the ball around. His maturity will give him an edge in the starting PG competition.

Reaction Score
In my opinion.. At Howard ..RJ had to be both the floor general and be a scoring guard due to their roster.. He has consistently outplayed 4 and 5 star D1 talented players while in HS.(on a HS team nationally ranked)..And on the AAU circuit.. He has also shown that he can perform vs BE and Big 12 guards at the college level when the opposing team is "focusing " on him.. trying to stop him.. His HOF HS coach said he consistently out-performed these 4*/5* in the biggest games.. DH does not need him to score a ton of points.. He needs a floor general..Along with JG.. I think we're in great shape at the point.. I see RJ as a left handed KEA with a jumper..

I’ve tried making all these points for the last 6 months but nobody wants to listen I guess. Everything you said is true, and a lot of people are going to look dumb when RJ lights it up for us.

Reaction Score
You have no idea what you're talking about. Taliek Brown and RJ Cole are the same height.

“But when you watch RJ play, there’s not a whole lot of ways we can help him,” Dan Hurley said. “He’s a high-IQ player, so it’s not like we come in here and work on his decision making. He throws the ball to the places you’d want your guards to throw the ball, when you want them to throw the ball. So for him, it’s nuance, little things, like develop a relationships with your teammates.

“He’s going to be really good for us. Knowing we’ve got him in our back pocket, it’s not going to make me feel better this November, but knowing you’ve got a guy waiting with his feel and IQ and ability to raise everyone around him - that feels good.”

“R.J. is a tremendous offensive player,” Hurley, the former Seton Hall guard and onetime Rutgers assistant coach, said Thursday. “I compare him to a quarterback who gets the ball out on time. He just sees the floor, is a tremendous pick-and-roll, ball-screen player. Tremendous court vision and just very, very efficient offensive player that I think has the ability to make everyone around him better because of the way that he sees the floor, just how efficient he is in terms of how he uses his dribble.

Reaction Score
Definitely agree, Gaffney starts next year.

I could get around this to start. Cole, Gaffney, Bouknight, Whaley, Sanogo with Jackson as our 6th man. Only thing is that leaves us with no ball handlers off the bench.

Reaction Score
I could get around this to start. Cole, Gaffney, Bouknight, Whaley, Sanogo with Jackson as our 6th man. Only thing is that leaves us with no ball handlers off the bench.
If Martin is eligible I can see him getting more minutes over Jackson early on. Later in the year that could easily change.

I think Jackson has the higher ceiling, but there's an adjustment to make. Martin has D1 experience on a decent team. Jackson has to prove he can make that transition. I can also see them on the court together as Jackson probably has better vision and Martin may be a better shooter.

I'm drooling over Jackson suiting up for us for a couple years, but Martin is a solid player. I know you, didn't say he wasn't. I know. You're not ripping Martin, etc etc, I'm just saying I think you might be undervaluing his experience, strength, etc. while Jackson has to get used to this level of competition. The A-10 is a lot closer to the Big East than HS is.

There is so much in flux though due to the injuries/waiver/COVID situation. It's nice to finally have depth problems.

Reaction Score
If Martin is eligible I can see him getting more minutes over Jackson early on. Later in the year that could easily change.

I think Jackson has the higher ceiling, but there's an adjustment to make. Martin has D1 experience on a decent team. Jackson has to prove he can make that transition. I can also see them on the court together as Jackson probably has better vision and Martin may be a better shooter.

I'm drooling over Jackson suiting up for us for a couple years, but Martin is a solid player. I know you, didn't say he wasn't. I know. You're not ripping Martin, etc etc, I'm just saying I think you might be undervaluing his experience, strength, etc. while Jackson has to get used to this level of competition. The A-10 is a lot closer to the Big East than HS is.

There is so much in flux though due to the injuries/waiver/COVID situation. It's nice to finally have depth problems.

I hope I am undervaluing his experience and strength. Like I said, if Martin is good enough to earn 20+ minutes a night with our depth at the 3/4 we’re going to be a lot better than I expect. If he’s good enough to take minutes from Bouk, Jackson, Whaley, and Akok then we have top 10 potential.

Reaction Score
I hope I am undervaluing his experience and strength. Like I said, if Martin is good enough to earn 20+ minutes a night with our depth at the 3/4 we’re going to be a lot better than I expect. If he’s good enough to take minutes from Bouk, Jackson, Whaley, and Akok then we have top 10 potential.
I know how much you love Cole and I'm on the same page where I think he's going to be great. So I post this as a reason why I think you're going to grow to love Martin. Martin posted a better BPM compared to Cole both freshman and sophomore years (0.8 vs 0.4 and 2.5 vs 2.3) and he did it at a much higher level of competition. We're very lucky to have both

Reaction Score
I know how much you love Cole and I'm on the same page where I think he's going to be great. So I post this as a reason why I think you're going to grow to love Martin. Martin posted a better BPM compared to Cole both freshman and sophomore years (0.8 vs 0.4 and 2.5 vs 2.3) and he did it at a much higher level of competition. We're very lucky to have both
In my opinion.. I believe DH would view TM being able to play in 2020 as a "bonus".. Not a prerequisite to 2020 team success.. If he can't play in 2020..He'll be tremendously valuable as a practice player for the young guys.. And he will grow as a player playing vs more talented guys than at URI.. If we have the success Yarders are hoping for in 2020.. I think DH sees minutes for TM in the 2021 season

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I think it’s very possible Hurley starts the season with Cole + the 4 returning starters and makes the new guys earn their spot in game action.

Reaction Score

There is nothing I'd love more than to grow to love Martin. I think he is a decent talent but that if he plays this season that he has a LOT of guys to beat out for minutes at the 3/4. For 2021-22 he will likely be a featured player.

Reaction Score
I think it’s very possible Hurley starts the season with Cole + the 4 returning starters and makes the new guys earn their spot in game action.

especially to start the season where the offseason program isn’t what it normally looks like

Reaction Score

So that would be...Cole, Gaffney, Bouknight, Whaley, Carlton? I think I’d be very surprised to see Whaley + Carlton start together. That’s 3 v 5 on offense.

Reaction Score
In 1999 Ricky played the point when Khalid was not in. In 2004 Ben played the point when Taliek was not in. You really don't need to have another point guard coming off the bench. I expect RJ and Jalen to play 20 -25
minutes together and 7 - 10 each at the point with Bouk or BA at shooting guard.

Reaction Score
I'll set forth the one incontrovertible fact. Cole was good enough that Hurley spent 3 scholarship years on a player who would only give him two years, and while seeing him practice against UConn this year didn't even sniff after recruiting other point guards.

Could Hurley be wrong in his analysis? Sure. But do you think that's where the smart money is?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom