2020 Piath Gabriel 6’5 | The Boneyard

2020 Piath Gabriel 6’5

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
First time hearing about this young lady. Does anyone have any further info on her?

Reaction Score
Gabriel really blew up this summer on the circuit! She started to grow into her 6'5 frame and her athleticism really took off. She can rebound, block shots, runs the floor very well, has good hands, and can pass out of the post. She needs to work on finishing around the rim with both hands, her mid range jump shot, and on her back to the basket game, but she has a ton of potential.

Reaction Score
First time hearing about this young lady. Does anyone have any further info on her?
" We are going outside of the top-100 here. Gabriel plays high school basketball for Bradford Christian Academy (MA) and AAU for the Lady Rivals. Gabriel isn’t on any top-100 list, but she is a name that everyone should know. The 6’5 center has received multiple division one offers, most recently from the University of North Carolina and the University of Pittsburgh. Gabriel is a prolific shot blocker on the inside and a terrific rebounder. While her offensive skillset will certainly need to improve in order to become an impact player at a Power-5 school, Gabriel has all of the tools to do so. In the past two seasons, her offensive game has improved immensely. She can score in the post, is capable of hitting the face-up jump shot, and has stretched her range a bit as well. Gabriel is one to watch this July. Outside of Pitt and UNC, she holds offers from Ohio State, Penn State, Marquette, Miami, Florida, West Virginia, and Virginia Tech."
"Salem, N.H., Bradford Christian Academy forward Piath Gabriel, who is the sister of Wenyen Gabriel, was one of the main targets for the U of L staff. Gabriel, who has seen her recruitment explode this summer, was track every game she played during the seven-day period by a member of the U of L staff.

The 6-foot-4 Gabriel was offered by U of L a year ago and has more close to 20 scholarship offers on the table at this point. She’s most recently been offered since the end of the evaluation period by LSU and Miami.

Gabriel was ranked as the No. 88 prospect in the nation heading into the summer by Prospects Nation and was the No. 23 forward in the class by ESPN. At one point, Gabriel was ranked as a top 60 player by ESPN but was unranked nationally at the start of the summer.

She was one of the top performers for the Lady Rivals at the Adidas Gauntlet event and Indy 500 event in Indianapolis. The Lady Rivals team is loaded with talent, including

ESPN's recruiting evaluation from last July on Gabriel reads: “Versatile front court prospect brings mobility, shot blocking presence to the key; emerging offensive threat on the perimeter complemented by back-to-basket game potential; rebounds and initiates the fast break.”

Gabriel landed a Kentucky offer in November of 2018 and at the time that was her first SEC offer. She also now has offers from Florida, North Carolina, Illinois, Pittsburgh, Penn State, Marquette, Virginia Tech and others.

She was named to the Adidas Select team this past spring."

Reaction Score
I refuse to get my hopes up until an actual big signs on the dotted line.....

Reactions: HGN

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Fear not UConn. The lord is with thee

Reaction Score
I am confused (at 75 a not unusual situation). Has Piath been offered and accepted UConn scholarship? I don’t see a mention in Courant.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some interesting background information on the Gabriels journey to the US. They were originally from the Sudan. They fled war-torn Sudan for Cairo, Egypt and then applied to immigrate to the US. When their immigration request was approved, the family felt as if they had won the lottery.

They moved to Manchester, NH where there is a sizable Sudanese community. All of Piath’s older siblings attended college in the US. 6’9” brother Wenyen was a scholarship b-ball player at KY, which also offered Piath. Wenyen’s idol is fellow Sudanese player Manute Bol. He currently plays for the Sacramento Kings.

Finally, Piath’s name in Sudanese means “Good”.

Reaction Score
I am confused (at 75 a not unusual situation). Has Piath been offered and accepted UConn scholarship? I don’t see a mention in Courant.
I saw an earlier post where it looked like her AAU team announced the offer on social media.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Appreciate everyone's input but we really do need an assessment from Sluconn.
Is it even possible that a recruit to whom UConn extended an offer isn’t even on Sluconn’s radar? If so, my faith in humanity has suffered a severe blow. :(

Reaction Score
nice shot... and getting back on D looks good enough to join UConn

While there are a lot of BIGS who can lumber up and down the court, the ability to actually run the court is an absolute requirement for any BIG at UConn. Clearly, we can check that box for Piath Gabriel.

Thought I was the only one who saw that. LOL Only UConn fans would downplay an outside jumper and focus on what came next. Geno has taught us well.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Thought I was the only one who saw that. LOL Only UConn fans would downplay an outside jumper and focus on what came next. Geno has taught us well.
Something else I noted. While there is a dearth of highlights on Piath, there is a lengthy highlight on her brother Wenyen in an NBA summer league game with the Kings vs Golden State. Wenyen knocks down a couple 3’s and scores frequently both on the break as well as in the post with his back to the basket.

Wenyen signed a joint contract with the Sacramento Kings/Stockton Dragons (G-League) as a free agent after 2 relatively modest seasons with KY. What I was struck by was Wenyen’s athleticism and potential. I would not be surprised if he develops into a solid NBA player.

I have no idea how much basketball the Gabriel children played before they arrived in the US, but I am just speculating that Geno sees the same level of athleticism and potential in Piath.

Finally, I will also speculate that Geno sees something very familiar in Piath’s journey. When the Gabriels arrived in the US, they spoke little English, and yet the family with 6 children has been successful with all the children making it to college. I suspect Piath reminds Geno of his early days in a new country speaking a foreign language.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom