2019 College summer ball - UConn players | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2019 College summer ball - UConn players

Reaction Score
Two Husky pitchers doing well for the Keene Swamp Bats this summer.

Joe Simeone has gotten mentioned on the Summer Huskies Daily Update, and he is definitely having a summer that I am getting intrigued by, especially since he was another guy recovering from hip surgery when UConn's season started last February. Simeone has pitched in 6 games, 4 of them starts. He currently has a 3.57 ERA with 22.2 innings pitched. He has given up 18 hits and 8 walks. Simeone has also 42(!) strikeouts, so that is almost two an inning for him. Opposing batters are hitting .209 against him. Have to think Simeone will be looked at as a starting pitcher candidate in the fall.

Justin Willis is another one of the players who has transferred to UConn, in his case from Vanderbilt. He has having a very nice summer coming out of the bullpen for Keene. 9 games, 15.2 innings, with a 2.30 ERA, and opponents hitting .179 off of him. Willis has given up 4 walks and 10 hits, and has 21 strikeouts, 2 wins to his credit, and also 4 saves. Willis has given up only one hit and no runs in his last 6 appearances, which amounts to 7 innings pitched. This after not pitching for Vandy this past spring. From this summer record it looks like UConn might have another useful arm whenever he becomes eligible to pitch.

Reaction Score

Justin Willis gets a mention. I believe this is the first time any of UConn's incoming transfers has gotten a mention in any of UConn baseball's summer baseball tweets.

Reaction Score
Not sure what type of future Ben Maycock has with UConn baseball, but he is off to a very fast start with the Mystic Schooners, going 2-5 in each of his first three games with the team. Tonight was his fourth game, and he only went 1-4 at the bat, but:

So far Maycock also has 6 strikeouts in 19 at bats, which is a little low for him. He hasn't picked up a walk yet, which for him is a bit of a surprise.

Reaction Score
Toss up btwn dropping into Recruiting thread or Summer Baseball thread:

Familiarity trio of Bristol Blues developing with each other before joining UConn helping to ease the transition from high school to college level

>>Andrew Marrero - a 2019 graduate of Wilbur Cross and a New Haven native - and Garrett Coe - of Lakeside and 2019 graduate of The Gunnery School - were signed by the Blues on July 5 and have been able to speak with Tim Pfaffenbichler, a future UConn teammate and fellow Blues relief pitcher, about some of the experiences they will soon have with the Huskies.

“Tim’s been helping out a lot with helping preparing us for how we should go into the season, and … the certain situations and workouts we have to work on and what we should expect going into the season and how things are gonna roll,” Marrero said. “I feel like he helped out a little bit more with preparing me for how I should do things and what my mentality should be as well.”<<

Reaction Score
Kevin Ferrer (his batting average is back over .400) and Justin Willis (another save) keep chugging along in summer ball:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ben Maycock with another home run for the Mystic Schooners tonight, his third in the short time he has been with the team. Good night for Huskies in Mystic, as Will Lucas also homered, his first for the Schooners.

Reaction Score
Was at the Mystic game yelling "Go Huskies" at times. The Schooners could use more support. Great day trip in the area, end it with a Schooners game. Wish I had thought of this a while ago. Don't want to see them go under like the Plymouth Pilgrims. Wish I saw a Pilgrims game. These teams are assets to the community. There's a few great stadiums in the NECBL.

The team bottles VERY good soda. No idea how they produce it. It's such a community effort that soda bottles are recycled and they thank you for returning bottles.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Another solid start for Joe Simeone last night with 6 innings pitched, 1 run allowed, 7 strikeouts, 7 hits, and no walks given up. Simeone’s ERA for the summer is now 3.14, with opposing batters hitting .229 off of him. This was his fifth start of the summer for the Keene Swamp Bats, the second start in a row where Simeone has gone at least 5 innings, and the third start out of five total where he has gone at least 5 innings. This after a spring season at UConn where while he was just back from hip surgery, Simeone was thrown into the UConn starting rotation at the beginning of the spring season, where he had loads of trouble going more than a couple innings before the proverbial roof would cave in on him. Simeone’s strikeout totals have been impressive this summer (49 in 28.2 innings), now he is also starting to show some innings length to his starts this summer as well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Was at the Mystic game yelling "Go Huskies" at times. The Schooners could use more support. Great day trip in the area, end it with a Schooners game. Wish I had thought of this a while ago. Don't want to see them go under like the Plymouth Pilgrims. Wish I saw a Pilgrims game. These teams are assets to the community. There's a few great stadiums in the NECBL.

The team bottles VERY good soda. No idea how they produce it. It's such a community effort that soda bottles are recycled and they thank you for returning bottles.
That team is not going anywhere as long as Dennis Long is pouring money into it.

Glad you had a good experience, they provide a nice laid back atmosphere and have been successful at bringing in players throughout the years who had opportunities to play elsewhere ( Rios, Jew, Bowens, etc.). They actually sell that bottled Sarsparilla and Root Beer locally year around.

I would hardly consider Fitch HS an example of a great stadium of the NECBL. Cardines field where the Newport Gulls play is one of the most historic fields in the area and they draw very well, but I would hardly call it a great stadium beyond it's historic value. The futures league I would more consider the league for stadium atmosphere and feel.

Reaction Score
Another solid start for Joe Simeone last night with 6 innings pitched, 1 run allowed, 7 strikeouts, 7 hits, and no walks given up. Simeone’s ERA for the summer is now 3.14, with opposing batters hitting .229 off of him. This was his fifth start of the summer for the Keene Swamp Bats, the second start in a row where Simeone has gone at least 5 innings, and the third start out of five total where he has gone at least 5 innings. This after a spring season at UConn where while he was just back from hip surgery, Simeone was thrown into the UConn starting rotation at the beginning of the spring season, where he had loads of trouble going more than a couple innings before the proverbial roof would cave in on him. Simeone’s strikeout totals have been impressive this summer (49 in 28.2 innings), now he is also starting to show some innings length to his starts this summer as well.
Like many of our pitchers, command is the key to success. He goes off the rails when he cannot find the strike zone on a consistent basis. If he keeps the walks down and stays ahead in counts he will do well. He may be a candidate for a weekend starter if he can be effective eatting up innings.

Reaction Score
Kevin Ferrer and Andy Hague continue their torrid hitting:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That team is not going anywhere as long as Dennis Long is pouring money into it.

Glad you had a good experience, they provide a nice laid back atmosphere and have been successful at bringing in players throughout the years who had opportunities to play elsewhere ( Rios, Jew, Bowens, etc.). They actually sell that bottled Sarsparilla and Root Beer locally year around.

I would hardly consider Fitch HS an example of a great stadium of the NECBL. Cardines field where the Newport Gulls play is one of the most historic fields in the area and they draw very well, but I would hardly call it a great stadium beyond it's historic value. The futures league I would more consider the league for stadium atmosphere and feel.
Not a horrible location to end the day, though. What I thought was surprising was they ask for donations for entry and the soda. Drinking that soda and a decent baseball game is not a bad combo.

Cardines is a beauty. Probably the coolest stadium ever where I got to watch some baseball. Been to Fitton and Waconah, too. If you have any suggestions, please list.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Healdsburg Prune Packers and and their pack of Huskies (Langer, Brodnansky, Polonia, Haus, and Kersten) have made it to the California Collegiate League best of three championship series against the Santa Barbara Foresters. Two games scheduled for today, and a game on Sunday if necessary. Santa Barbara won the first game today 8-5, Healdsburg leads the second game 5-2 in the bottom of the 4th with the Prune Packers up.

Reaction Score

Of course, Colby Dunlop, Karl Johnson, and Kyler Fedko are all playing for Bourne this summer.

Reaction Score
Healdsburg Prune Packers and and their pack of Huskies (Langer, Brodnansky, Polonia, Haus, and Kersten) have made it to the California Collegiate League best of three championship series against the Santa Barbara Foresters. Two games scheduled for today, and a game on Sunday if necessary. Santa Barbara won the first game today 8-5, Healdsburg leads the second game 5-2 in the bottom of the 4th with the Prune Packers up.

Reaction Score

Incoming freshman LHP Garrett Coe has only pitched in three games so far for the Bristol Blues, but he has been quite effective when he does get into games. 11 innings pitched, 0.81 ERA, opponents with a batting average of .152 off of him, 5 hits allowed, 7 walks, and 8 strikeouts. A very nice start to his college summer ball career.

In the same game, fellow UConn incoming freshman Andrew Marrero pitched two innings in relief of Coe, and picked up his second save of the summer season for Bristol, allowing no runs or hits, giving up 1 walk, and getting three strikeouts.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Last season for Uconn we got to see catcher Thad Phillips try to play 3B. Well, Paul Gozzo has been getting playing time of late for the New Bedford Bay Sox at positions other than catcher. Gozzo has had some starts at both 3B and 1B, in addition to D.H. and catcher. Perhaps something to look forward to with UConn either in fall ball or in the spring season?

Reaction Score
Colby Dunlop is no longer on the Bourne Braves roster. His stats for the summer at Bourne, 5 games pitched, 14.2 innings, 5.52 ERA, opposing batting average of .328, 20 hits allowed, 2 walks, and 12 strikeouts.

Reaction Score
Colby Dunlop is no longer on the Bourne Braves roster. His stats for the summer at Bourne, 5 games pitched, 14.2 innings, 5.52 ERA, opposing batting average of .328, 20 hits allowed, 2 walks, and 12 strikeouts.

Ugh. This from a guy who, based on how he finished last year, many were counting on as our Friday night starter.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom