2019-2020 Bowl Game Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

2019-2020 Bowl Game Thread

Reaction Score
No...I'd never defend the Big 12...weak conference with a history of weak scheduling.

Just saying that scheduling crap FBS teams like UConn, UMass, Rice, New Mexico State, Rutgers is as bad or worse than scheduling a Weber State...that's all.

And saying...if you play in a weak conference, you need to bolster your schedule with strong OOC....but if you are in a strong conference, your OOC is less important...

LSU played four teams in the final CFP top 13 before the bowls...they needed no OOC augmentation.

With scheduling being done on the order of ten years ahead in some cases, it’s borderline impossible to “schedule well” in any meaningful sense, beyond how hard it is to do so with only three or four open slots.

It’s a nice theoretical idea but doesn’t match up with the reality.

Reaction Score
Oregon seems to be the real deal. I thought for sure Wisconsin would handle them readily, but they went toe to toe

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I will say that while I started bowl season engaged, I stopped watching after the first two playoff games. The playoffs are making the bowls irrelevant.

Reaction Score
I am a football guy...have watched most bowls. And enjoyed them. They are intersectional football games.

The Big Ten guys and SEC guys were very interested in the Alabama-Michigan game...I watched in our only sports bar surrounded by these guys in their colors...it was fun.

The bowl games have never been very relevant to a national championship....It is folks who demand some relevance to enjoy a bowl game that won't enjoy them.

Me and Basketball? I don't watch until the Elite Eight...and if I am not interested in a match up, I don't watch then. The #9-16 seeds are just fodder...so I do understand not being interested if not relevant.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I will say that while I started bowl season engaged, I stopped watching after the first two playoff games. The playoffs are making the bowls irrelevant.

Maybe it's due to growing up in CT and knowing no CT or New England school would ever be crowned NC, but I'm increasingly ambivalent about the BCS college playoff system. There was something to traditional bowl games on New Year's Day along with longstanding conference matchups. And truth be told, arguments about the mythical champion were more fun than actually having one decided on the field through a formal playoff (the merits of selection of those four teams is still debatable).

If the BCS college playoff system disappeared, I wouldn't miss it. I do miss meaningful games on New Year's Day.

(corrected due to pedantic complaints :rolleyes:)

Last edited:

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I have enjoyed the games. Most have been competitive. To me the biggest surprise was Minnesota. It's amazing how fast Fleck has turned things around.

Reaction Score
The games have been exciting then you realize it’s just an exhibition makes bowl season a bunch of propaganda.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
The games have been exciting then you realize it’s just an exhibition makes bowl season a bunch of propaganda.
4 teams play for a championship, so what's wrong with the other 126 getting a chance to play one extra game?

Even if it is an exhibition as you say, the players love it (swag, pride), the coaches love it (extra practices), fans love it (someone is watching these games....or they wouldn't keep adding bowls)....so how is this a bad thing....or "propaganda"?

I always thinks its odd when people complain there are too many bowls...or they don't mean anything....well...then don't watch them! And leave the rest of us alone who enjoy them....lol.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
4 teams play for a championship, so what's wrong with the other 126 getting a chance to play one extra game?

Even if it is an exhibition as you say, the players love it (swag, pride), the coaches love it (extra practices), fans love it (someone is watching these games....or they wouldn't keep adding bowls)....so how is this a bad thing....or "propaganda"?

I always thinks its odd when people complain there are too many bowls...or they don't mean anything....well...then don't watch them! And leave the rest of us alone who enjoy them....lol.
<----This X 10

Reaction Score

Im all for a 25 team CFP.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
BC didn't deserve this doggie bowl. Down 17-0, do they just refuse to come on the field after 1/2 time?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I heard on radio today Rutgers has more bowl wins in the past 20 years than Michigan.
I am not independently verifying that statement.

Reaction Score
BC didn't deserve this doggie bowl. Down 17-0, do they just refuse to come on the field after 1/2 time?

I'm a Cincinnati guy, don't know much about Boston College.....Does BC have trouble getting athletes in academically? I know they're playing without their coach and top RB, but their players sure resemble Mid American Conference talent level.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'm a Cincinnati guy, don't know much about Boston College.....Does BC have trouble getting athletes in academically? I know they're playing without their coach and top RB, but their players sure resemble Mid American Conference talent level.

Their pass rush looked OK. Not so much everyone else.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I am so sick of the same tired "we didn't want to be there" excuses when a team gets thumped in a bowl game. The fact that there is a postseason month of exhibition games is because the P5 want to feel superior and give all their teams a trophy at the end of the year, but if they are going to complain about it, why play the games?

Reaction Score
The interesting thing about that BC/Cincy game is that all 5 of Bc's offensive linemen were either All ACC or honorable mention ACC. Cincy's defensive line which is very, very young absolutely blew them up. You can make up all the excuses you want(rb not playing), but the rb who did play was also honorable mention ACC. That Cincy team will most likely win the division the next couple years and likely be the ACC champ at some point. Fickell has accumulated talent even better than i expected. They're loaded for some years to come.

Reaction Score
BC had some decent linemen...but not enough else...or they would have beaten .500 in conference.

Reaction Score
The interesting thing about that BC/Cincy game is that all 5 of Bc's offensive linemen were either All ACC or honorable mention ACC. Cincy's defensive line which is very, very young absolutely blew them up. You can make up all the excuses you want(rb not playing), but the rb who did play was also honorable mention ACC. That Cincy team will most likely win the division the next couple years and likely be the ACC champ at some point. Fickell has accumulated talent even better than i expected. They're loaded for some years to come.

If they can settle in on a QB they have a chance to go to an even higher level. Built depth at nearly every position but Ridder leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to throwing the ball. The backup QB is a much better thrower but not much experience yet. Although they did sign a QB for 2020 playing in the all american bowl tomorrow.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom