2019/20 UConn Recruiting | Page 57 | The Boneyard

2019/20 UConn Recruiting

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Aubrey Griffin article:

“Aubrey gets more comfortable every day,” Ricci said of the versatile captain, who has averaged 21.2 PPG, 6.6 RPG and nearly three steals in very limited action. “Physically, she is fantastic, but she’s just getting back to making good game decisions.”

In the Pride’s lone loss to Rock Creek Christian Academy (MD), Griffin dropped 16 points, snared eight boards and dished three assists. It’s these types of performances that has drawn the attention of Louisville, St. John’s, Miami, West Virginia, Florida, West Virginia, Minnesota and Seton Hall.

“I think many more offers will come,” said Ricci. “Some of these top programs, like a UConn, are just waiting to see what she looks like after coming back from injury.”

Girls Hoops Notebook | The Examiner News

Reaction Score
Asked the question about recruitment. Noncommittal.

PB has a lot of time to make a decision but if you really, really want to go to a specific school that has offers out to other talented players at the same position wouldn't you just verbal to be at the front of the line? Seems that many of the best players tend to wait these days even when they have already made their decision........

Reaction Score
Haley Jones ('19) had 20 points and 12 rebounds on Saturday (12/9).

Through 4 games she's averaging 20 points, 10.3 rebounds, 4 assists, 4.3 blocks, and shooting 70% from the field.

hopefully as the season progresses she'll get it together................;)

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Amari DeBerry ('21) had 16 points, 8 rebounds and 21 points, 8 rebounds in separate games the past seven days.

Reaction Score
12/13

Cameron Brink ('20) had 18 points, 15 rebounds, 4 blocks, and 5 assists yesterday.

1. 6 replies23 retweets33 likes

2. Raoul‏ @Raoul_000 10h10 hours ago
    WBB: Earlier this week, Stanford's head coach trekked up to Oregon to see top-5 2020 prospect Cameron Brink METRO GIRLS BASKETBALL: Southridge 67, Westview 35

DRDbt5_WsAIGIE_.jpg

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
  1. 6 replies23 retweets33 likes

2. Raoul‏ @Raoul_000 10h10 hours ago
    WBB: Earlier this week, Stanford's head coach trekked up to Oregon to see top-5 2020 prospect Cameron Brink METRO GIRLS BASKETBALL: Southridge 67, Westview 35

DRDbt5_WsAIGIE_.jpg

This "mutual interest" bears watching (says my gut). Brink may want to get away from home a bit, but not far enough away that the 'rents could come down and see her or when she comes north to play Oregon or OSU. Plus, the family friends -- the Curry clan -- are down by the Bay. ;)

That's not to say the Ducks and Beavers won't be in play and the fact that she took a trip to Storrs speaks volumes, but something feels right here....

(Please note I'm not even thinking of..and hence, not bringing up...South Bend) :confused:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Paige Bueckers reminds me of Sabrina Ionescu. They are both very smooth.

I thought of the Ionescu comparison the other day too. There are definitely some similarities. To my untrained eye, Bueckers is a bit quicker. Both have a great basketball IQ and intensity level.

Reaction Score
SIuconn Husky, I can't agree with you more. Paige Bueckers would be an incredible signing. She'll be arriving just in time to take over for Crystal.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
There's also another potential advantage for Bueckers in any Ionescu comp. Bueckers is listed at 5-11 and even 6-0 in one place. At barely 16 she could blow by Ionescu's 5-10 making her more of a point forward. She's already shown the ability to use her height to her favor in high school. More growth would make her that much more difficult to defend.

Reaction Score
When I first watched Bueckers I questioned whether the way she seems to glide around the court would work against faster and quicker players in college. But the more I watched the more I noticed that when she chooses she has very very quick feet. She also has an incredibly quick lateral move and a lightning fast first step on drives.
I wouldn't try to put her in any one position on the court. Her skills cover several positions already and if she can get stronger she'll be a 4 position player by the time she's a freshman.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The more I hear about Azzi Fudd (which is nothing but good things), the more I'm beginning to think that she is a "must get" for UConn. No doubt she is coveted by every division 1 program in the country, but only a scant few have any chance of signing her.

You know a player is special when you read various articles about them, and the word "transcendent" is used.
One can only imagine the tons of interest mail she receives weekly from schools/coaches across the country.
The top 25 programs all tend to fish in the same general area of the pond. It's a good bet that Fudd has already been offered by all or most of them.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The more I hear about Azzi Fudd (which is nothing but good things), the more I'm beginning to think that she is a "must get" for UConn. No doubt she is coveted by every division 1 program in the country, but only a scant few have any chance of signing her.

You know a player is special when you read various articles about them, and the word "transcendent" is used.
One can only imagine the tons of interest mail she receives weekly from schools/coaches across the country.
The top 25 programs all tend to fish in the same general area of the pond. It's a good bet that Fudd has already been offered by all or most of them.
I was going to watch Azzi this week, but I'm dealing with a stubborn cold.

St. John beat Good Counsel (Kaili's alma mater) comfortably on Wednesday. Azzi had 9 points. One of the leading scorers was Dikembe Mutombo's niece.

Azzi and her team are off to the Nike TOC next week. I expect they will do well.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
When I first watched Bueckers I questioned whether the way she seems to glide around the court would work against faster and quicker players in college. But the more I watched the more I noticed that when she chooses she has very very quick feet. She also has an incredibly quick lateral move and a lightning fast first step on drives.
I wouldn't try to put her in any one position on the court. Her skills cover several positions already and if she can get stronger she'll be a 4 position player by the time she's a freshman.

Judging by your tag name and insights into Miss Buecker's foot speed, you probably already know -- or wouldn't be surprised to learn -- that she was also a superb sprinter and hurdler on the track before deciding to concentrate solely on basketball.

This ability to ramp up to top gear -- often called "burst" speed -- is very much apparent in the way she can move at fast speed in between b-ball moves. It's akin to clearing a hurdle and maintaining/getting back up to sprint speed. Comes in handy.

CharlieBball and I have watched Michelle Sidor, a highly ranked shooting guard from Saddle River Day in NJ and she can run hard -- and at pace -- all game long, much like the soccer midfielder she once was. Helps with running defenders off screens and/or breaking presses.

Paige has good endurance,but strikes me as being more of a sprinter at this stage in her career. She'll only get stronger as she ages.

Reaction Score
Judging my your tag name and your insights into Miss Buecker's foot speed, you probably already know -- or wouldn't be surprised to learn -- that she was also a superb sprinter and hurdler before deciding to concentrate on basketball. This ability to ramp up to top gear -- often called "burst" speed -- is very much apparent in the way she plays. That ability to move at fast speed in between b-ball moves in reminiscent to clearing a hurdle and maintaining/getting back up to sprint speed. Comes in handy.

Thanks for the insight. In the world of horse racing the ability to have a burst of speed more than once in a race is called "tactical speed" and is both rare and highly prized in longer races. Bueckers has a habit of taking a little hop just before blowing past defenders that reminded me of something that I finally figured out was the Ali shuffle that the former champ used just before landing a quick combination.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Thanks for the insight. In the world of horse racing the ability to have a burst of speed more than once in a race is called "tactical speed" and is both rare and highly prized in longer races.

That's cool to know, too. Thanks.

I've watched Sidor a few times a year her first two years and it's impressive to see her turn it on in the latter stages of halves and wear down defenders.

I've seen Paige primarily on edited portions of games, save for the championships, but really like her gait, so to speak. She's fast, for sure, but looks pretty effortless.

Reaction Score
That's cool to know, too. Thanks.

I've watched Sidor a few times a year her first two years and it's impressive to see her turn it on in the latter stages of halves and wear down defenders.

I've seen Paige primarily on edited portions of games, save for the championships, but really like her gait, so to speak. She's fast, for sure, but looks pretty effortless.

I added another comment to my post you may remember if you are old enough

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I added another comment to my post you may remember if you are old enough

Ali - Alydar - Affirmed. Yup....old enough to remember them all. :rolleyes:

Can't say I've seen anyone that runs like Mick "The Quick" Rivers, though. And that's probably a good thing ;)

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom