2018 Recruiting: Isaiah Mucius - update | Page 7 | The Boneyard

2018 Recruiting: Isaiah Mucius - update

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

Even the NBA is embracing the two small forwards playing together. San Antonio just picked up Rudy Gay to team up with Kahwi Leonard to play together at the same time.
Rudy is a long 6-9. True, not a power guy.

Reaction Score
OK, man, whatever, hang your hopes on that

All I know is that this board was highly critical of Kemba, Shabazz, Boatright and Daniels after their sophomore years. After 2 full years of practice, games, being in the system.

2 years.

It wasn't until the 3rd year that those 4 players shined.

How about you just stop spewing pessimistic garbage? We're talking about a bunch of kids who have been playing basketball their entire lives and were top 100 recruits. You think Terry Larrier and Alterique Gilbert magically forgot how to play basketball? If they are indeed 100% healthy those two are going to be excellent. Diarra is the bigger question mark in my mind. You guys all live to crap all over our team, I'm actually shocked that most people on this board are even UCONN fans and root for the team. If you're going into this season assuming that all the guys who were injured last year are going to suck, do us all a favor and log off of the Boneyard until after this coming up season.

Reaction Score
The reality of our team next year is that we have 4 players returning who have at least been in the same system together for 2 years who are all projected to be double digit scorers. It's been a long time since we could say that. Our problem last year was that if Adams and Purvis weren't both on and we didn't get decent contribution from at least one other we were doomed. Call me an optimist, but we have a lot of talent in Adams, Gilbert, Larrier and Vital. We also have a whole bunch of unknowns, but those guys basically need to step in to fill 1.5 positions (the 5 spot plus subbing out our main 4 guys). If we stay healthy I really believe we are a top 25 caliber team...if not it could be a long year just like last year.
Larrier has played a couple of games in the past two years and hasn't practiced at full strength in close to a year. Alterique has played a couple of D1 games and still isn't at full strength to practice. The idea that we have 4 double digit scorers who have played together for 2 years is nonsense.

Reaction Score
John Mamadou has good hands and can finish around the basket.

The problem we have had is no offense when an elite guard is not present to create and elevate the team independent of strategy.

We have not utilized pick and role in the offense nearly enough to create easy opportunities for the bigs and for the wings on the perimeter. That's coaching. Mamadou and Carlton need to be utilized this way.
John Mamadou?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
John Mamadou?
41F-mm169GL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Reaction Score
Larrier has played a couple of games in the past two years and hasn't practiced at full strength in close to a year. Alterique has played a couple of D1 games and still isn't at full strength to practice. The idea that we have 4 double digit scorers who have played together for 2 years is nonsense.

You're right, I should have said they are in their 2nd season together rather than 2 years. My point is these guys have had time to mesh and I actually think with all the hardship the team saw last year the guys who are left are closer because of it.

Reaction Score
How about you just stop spewing pessimistic garbage? . . . If you're going into this season assuming that all the guys who were injured last year are going to suck, do us all a favor and log off of the Boneyard until after this coming up season.

A bit too harsh, IMO. Different fans have different ways of tempering expectations and rooting for the team. I think its possible to believe every player is going to suck and STILL be a fan who wants every player to not suck. I'm not trying to play mediator or anything, I just think that upstater's argument isn't at the level of "garbage".

Reaction Score
A bit too harsh, IMO. Different fans have different ways of tempering expectations and rooting for the team. I think its possible to believe every player is going to suck and STILL be a fan who wants every player to not suck. I'm not trying to play mediator or anything, I just think that upstater's argument isn't at the level of "garbage".

It's sad times when you can't come to a Uconn men's bball message board of "fans" and post something slightly positive without getting dumped on. We won the National Championship 3 years ago and people are acting like our program has been in the dumps for 25 years. Just trying to bring a little perspective to all the "sky is falling" fans. Even great programs like UNC, Kentucky, etc. have down years. Things will get better, but let's keep in mind that this message board is a reflection on our program as whole (including to potential recruits who may be lurking). So while you guys think dumping on the program that has had a tough year followed by a tough summer doesn't do any harm, I tend to disagree. Not saying everything needs to be sunshine and rainbows on the Boneyard, just making the point that some people on this board are due for a nice little vacation preferably to somewhere that doesn't have internet access.

Reaction Score
John Mamadou?

John,....Mamadou. John you're slacking. You can't play 3 guard offense with 3 guys 6'2 or less and expect to compete and contend to win titles. You need length/size to win in basketball.

We can expect UCONN opponents to double our guards and play zone to prevent penetration like they have been doing last 3 years. We need to play pick and roll basketball utilizing guys like Mamadou to not only give the bigs open looks, but more importantly give options to the guards whether it is to drive to the basket or dish to open bigs or shooters. This will make us harder to defend and elevate UCONN basketball.

#PICKANDROLLADAMS

Reaction Score
How about you just stop spewing pessimistic garbage? We're talking about a bunch of kids who have been playing basketball their entire lives and were top 100 recruits. You think Terry Larrier and Alterique Gilbert magically forgot how to play basketball? If they are indeed 100% healthy those two are going to be excellent. Diarra is the bigger question mark in my mind. You guys all live to crap all over our team, I'm actually shocked that most people on this board are even UConn fans and root for the team. If you're going into this season assuming that all the guys who were injured last year are going to suck, do us all a favor and log off of the Boneyard until after this coming up season.

Aye yaye yaye

Pessimistic?

Realistic.

Did Kemba forget how to play basketball soph year? Shabazz? Deandre? Boatright?

No.

They needed 3 years to develop.

That's a fact

Reaction Score
It's sad times when you can't come to a UConn men's bball message board of "fans" and post something slightly positive without getting dumped on. We won the National Championship 3 years ago and people are acting like our program has been in the dumps for 25 years. Just trying to bring a little perspective to all the "sky is falling" fans. Even great programs like UNC, Kentucky, etc. have down years. Things will get better, but let's keep in mind that this message board is a reflection on our program as whole (including to potential recruits who may be lurking). So while you guys think dumping on the program that has had a tough year followed by a tough summer doesn't do any harm, I tend to disagree. Not saying everything needs to be sunshine and rainbows on the Boneyard, just making the point that some people on this board are due for a nice little vacation preferably to somewhere that doesn't have internet access.

You have good optimism, and I think we both fall into the same category of optimistic fans. Just as upstater's argument wasn't garbage, I don't think yours is either.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Can't we split the difference here a little bit? Seems to me like yes, games are very very important to chemistry, but so are practices. Having Gilbert watching and learning the sets and watching the film, etc will absolutely help him more than if he were a brand new freshman.

With that said - I do still expect some growing pains. However - they do have some veteran presence. Jalen being a junior. Hopefully the talent and previous game experience will help them fight through some of the early chemistry issues against the easy ooc games.

Reaction Score
Can't we split the difference here a little bit? Seems to me like yes, games are very very important to chemistry, but so are practices. Having Gilbert watching and learning the sets and watching the film, etc will absolutely help him more than if he were a brand new freshman.

With that said - I do still expect some growing pains. However - they do have some veteran presence. Jalen being a junior. Hopefully the talent and previous game experience will help them fight through some of the early chemistry issues against the easy ooc games.

I agree with this. I would also add that Gilbert being injured last year might have actually helped us for this year as it gave Vital all of that GAME experience that Upstater is talking about. It sucks that Vance left because we wasted a lot of good game time developing him.

Reaction Score
I agree with this. I would also add that Gilbert being injured last year might have actually helped us for this year as it gave Vital all of that GAME experience that Upstater is talking about. It sucks that Vance left because we wasted a lot of good game time developing him.

Developing him? No way, not with this staff no no no. He did it by himself.;)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Right...that's all I've done here in my 114 posts on the BY is preach positivity. Your post is exactly what I'm talking about. I guess Boneyard Rule #1 is still in full effect: "If you're going to reply to someone, be a d*ick about it"
It's funny. For all the crap the women's board gets on this board, there is a huge contingent that wants this board to be more like the women. I know I won't be believed but I am as positive as they come. I grew up a Sox fan and every year was going to be the year. I understand the feeling, I'm still hoping we can turn this thing around. But all these posters peeing on our respective legs and telling us it's raining is getting to me, I must admit.

Reaction Score
It's sad times when you can't come to a UConn men's bball message board of "fans" and post something slightly positive without getting dumped on. We won the National Championship 3 years ago and people are acting like our program has been in the dumps for 25 years. Just trying to bring a little perspective to all the "sky is falling" fans. Even great programs like UNC, Kentucky, etc. have down years. Things will get better, but let's keep in mind that this message board is a reflection on our program as whole (including to potential recruits who may be lurking). So while you guys think dumping on the program that has had a tough year followed by a tough summer doesn't do any harm, I tend to disagree. Not saying everything needs to be sunshine and rainbows on the Boneyard, just making the point that some people on this board are due for a nice little vacation preferably to somewhere that doesn't have internet access.

You complain about getting dumped on, but a bit more self-reflection is in order. Read your own words:

"How about you just stop spewing pessimistic garbage?"

"You guys all live to crap all over our team"

"I'm actually shocked that most people on this board are even UConn fans and root for the team."

"If you're going into this season assuming that all the guys who were injured last year are going to suck, do us all a favor and log off of the Boneyard until after this coming up season."

"I guess Boneyard Rule #1 is still in full effect: 'If you're going to reply to someone, be a d*ick about it'"

Reaction Score
You complain about getting dumped on, but a bit more self-reflection is in order. Read your own words:

"How about you just stop spewing pessimistic garbage?"

"You guys all live to crap all over our team"

"I'm actually shocked that most people on this board are even UConn fans and root for the team."

"If you're going into this season assuming that all the guys who were injured last year are going to suck, do us all a favor and log off of the Boneyard until after this coming up season."

"I guess Boneyard Rule #1 is still in full effect: 'If you're going to reply to someone, be a d*ick about it'"

I don't understand what you're even talking about...You just quoted a bunch of stuff I said (which are all still as true as they were when I wrote them yesterday), what's your point?

Reaction Score
I don't understand what you're even talking about...You just quoted a bunch of stuff I said (which are all still as true as they were when I wrote them yesterday), what's your point?
That you complained about everyone attacking you. And then proceeded to attack everyone else

Reaction Score
That you complained about everyone attacking you. And then proceeded to attack everyone else

Actually not one of those things quoted was an attack on anyone. Calling a spade a spade is not what I would consider "attacking". We have a crap ton of overly pessimistic posters on the board currently and apparently when they get called out on it they get defensive. I'm done arguing with you guys, let's see how the team performs come March. I for one am not ready to give up on a season that hasn't even started yet, but then again I've been a fan since the 1980's before we were good so I have more patience and optimism than most.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom