2017 Commit #4- Ryan Dickens (Hazlet, NJ) - Decommitted | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2017 Commit #4- Ryan Dickens (Hazlet, NJ) - Decommitted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
I tend to agree. Granted, kids bail after giving verbals all the time, and that leaves a school in a tough position where they've stopped recruiting a position. But it just seems much worse when a kid stops talking to or showcasing himself to other D1 programs and loses a scholarship. It looks like this kid's other options were much lower level so he may not have any other options, and even getting in to other schools academically at this point is tough. It's how the system works, so I'm not saying RE shouldn't pull an offer, but it doesn't make it pleasant. I'm sure it's tough for the staff to make the call to the kid. Good luck to the kid.

Schools continue to recruit committed kids all the time if they are worth the effort.

Reaction Score
Best of luck to Ryan, hopefully he lands somewhere good for him. Unfortunately, with an entirely new staff and Diaco not exactly lining up a stellar class for the coming year, there was bound to be some sausage-making in the recruiting process for this coming year. Hopefully Randy et al were as open and honest as possible with him and can help him find a new home for the fall. The program has made a major shift in direction over the past month, presumably for the better, there will be some unfortunate consequences as a result.

I don't mean to belittle Ryan, but this is preposterous.

At the time he committed to UConn he had "numerous FCS and Ivy offers and was waiting to hear back from Navy, UMass, and Northwestern." Suddenly he's jumping from FCS schools and UMass to Nebraska? Schonvisky has become absolutely insufferable.

Reaction Score
Is it possible that he has a wrestling scholarship and will be a walk-on for football

No. If you have an athletic scholarship to play another sport, and you walk on to the football team, you count against the 85 scholarship limit. Otherwise, the limit would be meaningless.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I guess ATTACK and MAYHEM were too much for him.

Hope he likes husking corn.

Reaction Score
Best of luck to Ryan, hopefully he lands somewhere good for him. Unfortunately, with an entirely new staff and Diaco not exactly lining up a stellar class for the coming year, there was bound to be some sausage-making in the recruiting process for this coming year. Hopefully Randy et al were as open and honest as possible with him and can help him find a new home for the fall. The program has made a major shift in direction over the past month, presumably for the better, there will be some unfortunate consequences as a result.

I don't mean to belittle Ryan, but this is preposterous.

At the time he committed to UConn he had "numerous FCS and Ivy offers and was waiting to hear back from Navy, UMass, and Northwestern." Suddenly he's jumping from FCS schools and UMass to Nebraska? Schonvisky has become absolutely insufferable.

It wouldn't be if Diaco sees him as ideal fit for his system. Late in the recruiting game Diaco, taking a chance on one or two kids like this isn't going to make or break a program like Nebraska.

Reaction Score
No. If you have an athletic scholarship to play another sport, and you walk on to the football team, you count against the 85 scholarship limit. Otherwise, the limit would be meaningless.

Is that a UCONN specific rule? This is not the case at other schools. I know for a fact that Tennessee and Maryland have done this, just to name 2.

Reaction Score
It wouldn't be if Diaco sees him as ideal fit for his system. Late in the recruiting game Diaco, taking a chance on one or two kids like this isn't going to make or break a program like Nebraska.
Thing is, if this kid is truly good enough for a high-end FBS program to take a shot at him, why hasn't anyone else? And why did no other FBS school offer him when he was available in the first place? If you're "waiting to hear back" from UMass and Northwestern you're not exactly garnering a lot of serious interest.

Reaction Score
Is that a UCONN specific rule? This is not the case at other schools. I know for a fact that Tennessee and Maryland have done this, just to name 2.

It's an NCAA rule. If someone goes to Maryland on a track schollie and they walk on to the football team, it counts against the 85 man limit.

That doesn't mean they can't play -- just that there ended up bein a football scholarship open.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
It's an NCAA rule. If someone goes to Maryland on a track schollie and they walk on to the football team, it counts against the 85 man limit.

That doesn't mean they can't play -- just that there ended up bein a football scholarship open.

Yes, it's an NCAA rule, also known as the "Bear Bryant Rule". Bear would put 130 kids on swimming and track scholarships. If you have a scholarship, and play football, you count as 1 of the 85 football scholarships. That said, you can be a walk-on, paying your own way and do whatever you want and not count against the 85.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
If this comment relates to Ryan, or any other commit like him, I'd remind coach Brown that honor works both ways. Kids de-commit all the time, as we're seeing. What matters is both parties being honest with each other and hopefully finding the best fit for each.
I just put that in a tweet to Coach Brown.

Reaction Score
Thing is, if this kid is truly good enough for a high-end FBS program to take a shot at him, why hasn't anyone else? And why did no other FBS school offer him when he was available in the first place? If you're "waiting to hear back" from UMass and Northwestern you're not exactly garnering a lot of serious interest.
I think you're putting too much stock into who offered. He committed the summer before his senior year. We have poured many players to the NFL with that profile. Committed early, few to no other offers.

Now if the argument is that few Diaco recruits have yet to show much on the field and why would this kid be different, I can't say I disagree.

Reaction Score
I think you're putting too much stock into who offered. He committed the summer before his senior year. We have poured many players to the NFL with that profile. Committed early, few to no other offers.

Now if the argument is that few Diaco recruits have yet to show much on the field and why would this kid be different, I can't say I disagree.

"Edasll" has poured many players to the NFL. Credit Edsall for that, not a lot of coaches can evaluate low profile kids and turned them into NFL talent like he did. Diaco tried and failed immensely. Bottom line is this kid was offered by the previous staff, which aren't here anymore. If Edsall and company feels he doesn't fit the system they're trying to instill, then I don't see an issues with them pulling the scholly.

Reaction Score
"Edasll" has poured many players to the NFL. Credit Edsall for that, not a lot of coaches can evaluate low profile kids and turned them into NFL talent like he did. Diaco tried and failed immensely. Bottom line is this kid was offered by the previous staff, which aren't here anymore. If Edsall and company feels he doesn't fit the system they're trying to instill, then I don't see an issues with them pulling the scholly.
Neither did I. Try to keep up though, the question was the kid getting an offer from Nebraska where Diaco, is now DC. Also P recruited Obi, and Noel Thomas. Both will be in the league next year. Neither had a ton of offers.

Reaction Score
Neither did I. Try to keep up though, the question was the kid getting an offer from Nebraska where Diaco, is now DC. Also P recruited Obi, and Noel Thomas. Both will be in the league next year. Neither had a ton of offers.

No, I'm keeping up. Just stating the obvious that these low profile kids aren't easy to turn into NFL talent, which in turn helps produce a better than average football team. Edsall deserves kudos for that, because not a lot of coaches can do that. PP and Diaco tried and couldn't. It's not easy to do. Noel Thomas and Obi were both 3* players, rated pretty good on the recruiting sites. Offers? Don't see how Obi didn't have more offers cause the kid was/is an athlete, but again still was rated as a 3* player. Thomas 3* player with offers from Temple and Rutgers not so much low profile players like the kids Edsall put into the NFL.[/QUOTE]

Reaction Score
No, I'm keeping up. Just stating the obvious that these low profile kids aren't easy to turn into NFL talent, which in turn helps produce a better than average football team. Edsall deserves kudos for that, because not a lot of coaches can do that. PP and Diaco tried and couldn't. It's not easy to do. Noel Thomas and Obi were both 3* players, rated pretty good on the recruiting sites. Offers? Don't see how Obi didn't have more offers cause the kid was/is an athlete, but again still was rated as a 3* player. Thomas 3* player with offers from Temple and Rutgers not so much low profile players like the kids Edsall put into the NFL.
[/QUOTE]
Right, and I agree with you on Edsall here. My question is Schonvisky's argument that this kid is suddenly going to get a scholarship offer from Nebraska. Nox's point about him now having played four years certainly would help him (I have no clue how he performed this year) but it still seems very far-fetched that one of Diaco's first moves as DC at Nebraska is going to be giving this kid a scholarship on the hopes that everyone but UMass, UConn, Northwestern, Navy, and FCS schools was wrong in evaluating his talent and potential. I'm no recruiting expert, but I find it very, very difficult to believe Nebraska would be interested here.

Reaction Score
Right, and I agree with you on Edsall here. My question is Schonvisky's argument that this kid is suddenly going to get a scholarship offer from Nebraska. Nox's point about him now having played four years certainly would help him (I have no clue how he performed this year) but it still seems very far-fetched that one of Diaco's first moves as DC at Nebraska is going to be giving this kid a scholarship on the hopes that everyone but UMass, UConn, Northwestern, Navy, and FCS schools was wrong in evaluating his talent and potential. I'm no recruiting expert, but I find it very, very difficult to believe Nebraska would be interested here.

Same here. I doubt Nebraska will extend this kid an offer, but if it was to happen then it wouldn't surprise me one bit. Diaco has been incompetent for the past three years.

Reaction Score
Same here. I doubt Nebraska will extend this kid an offer, but if it was to happen then it wouldn't surprise me one bit. Diaco has been incompetent for the past three years.

Baylor offered another one of our decommitts. If this kid has a B1G offer from Northwestern I suppose Nebraska is not that big of a stretch.

Reaction Score
Baylor offered another one of our decommitts. If this kid has a B1G offer from Northwestern I suppose Nebraska is not that big of a stretch.

Didn't rule it out completely. With Diaco on your team crazy is normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom