2016 UConn commitment: Molly Bent [merged thread] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2016 UConn commitment: Molly Bent [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Man is the Boneyard slipping or what?
“I was on campus Wednesday and I loved every minute. I knew right away." Said Molly.
How is it that a 5'9" (allegedly) prospect can spend an entire day wondering around a 4,093 acre campus spent a good deal of time with sophomore Gabby Williams and UConn’s incoming freshman class of Katie Lou Samuelson, Napheesa Collier, and De’Janae Boykin and not be spotted?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
All the videos of Bent that were up on Youtube a few hours ago have been taken down by the owner. Now, why would someone put videos up and then remove them just as people were starting to watch them?
Maybe because people like me are being too critical of her play.

Reaction Score
All the videos of Bent that were up on Youtube a few hours ago have been taken down by the owner. Now, why would someone put videos up and then remove them just as people were starting to watch them?

My guess is that the videos were uploaded for recruiters to see and are no longer needed.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
My guess is that the videos were uploaded for recruiters to see and are no longer needed.

Well I hadn't thought of that. Whatever the reason, I was looking forward to watching a few more. I know CocoHusky wasn't all that impressed but I liked what I saw in one of them. Pretty smooth mid-range jumper, a nice handle, and a couple of very good bounce passes in transition. Plus, she was constantly moving.

Not sure what will be expected of her and the roster is packed, but she might turn out to be a good backup point and hybrid guard.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It's good to get a recruit who turned Princeton down. :)

Molly will certainly help the team GPA.

Reaction Score
Except that the videos for her AAU teammate, Vanessa Edgehill, are still up, and she's committed to Boston U. And I'm pretty sure they were all posted by the same person.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Except that the videos for her AAU teammate, Vanessa Edgehill, are still up, and she's committed to Boston U. And I'm pretty sure they were all posted by the same person.
Vanessa Edgehill is the girl I referred to in my other post #24 with a brace on her knee as being a comparable player to Molly.

Reaction Score
Seeing as were unlikely to get a big before that ...I hope not.
Have to wait and see if Cox visits in the fall and what McCoy decides (she reportedly plans to decide by March).

Reaction Score

Maybe Geno requested they be taken off.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Ultimately we all have to defer to Geno and staff for everything. Molly will be wearing a UCONN uniform and I will cheer for her as loud as I can. My opinion was not just based on watching her You Tube video. It was based on the rankings of the other players that were linked to UCONN in recruiting that could play the SG position-All of which were named in my post.

Last edited by a moderator:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
With a roster of 10 plus players, there is always a lot of room for non-superstars, and in fact this tends to make for a better team chemistry as not everyone is going to get meaningful minutes in games. Uconn has had some really great team members who never got significant minutes, and some who were never on the 'national radar' who ended up contributing significantly more than anyone would have guessed coming out of HS. Maria Conlon is probably the poster child for the latter, but Jessica Moore is another example of a player who was never touted as a world beater but contributed significantly. The others are players like the Valley sisters, Gardler, Tahirah Williams, Buck, McLaren, etc. They were all integral team members, had some shining moments, a great four years, and a good (and free) college education.
I have no idea about Bent's skills or how she will develop at Uconn, but obviously the coaching staff likes her a lot, and she is very excited with her choice and her chance. Good enough for me.

HGN

Reaction Score
Good question Sluconn.......I was thinking the same thing.

Reaction Score
There is very little doubt that Molly is a very intelligent player. I hope that she is the type of player that can contribute and not play just at garbage time. Geno and his staff must have seen something they liked about Molly, and not just her attitude or they wouldn't have offered her a scholarship. I trust their judgement.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
I foresee Geno's turning to CD for a sub in the middle of the game and saying, wait for it, wait for it, "Get Bent."
The name is sportswriter and BY heaven:

"Molly bolts down sideline leaving Irish defender in dust"

"Molly bent on leading Husky offense"

"Molly anchors Husky perimeter defense"

All puns aside, I wish her well, if we battle Monmouth...............................

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Maybe because people like me are being too critical of her play.

Very well could be Coco. I suspect they were put up there by her former AAU Coach - her dad. What I saw in the first one I posted in the uncommitted thread was someone with excellent floor spacing and movement without the ball with exceptional defensive footwork for a HS player. It was a Barnstable tape - so she was a frosh or soph - confusing because she entered Tabor as a soph.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
With a roster of 10 plus players, there is always a lot of room for non-superstars, and in fact this tends to make for a better team chemistry as not everyone is going to get meaningful minutes in games. Uconn has had some really great team members who never got significant minutes, and some who were never on the 'national radar' who ended up contributing significantly more than anyone would have guessed coming out of HS. Maria Conlon is probably the poster child for the latter, but Jessica Moore is another example of a player who was never touted as a world beater but contributed significantly. The others are players like the Valley sisters, Gardler, Tahirah Williams, Buck, McLaren, etc. They were all integral team members, had some shining moments, a great four years, and a good (and free) college education.
I have no idea about Bent's skills or how she will develop at Uconn, but obviously the coaching staff likes her a lot, and she is very excited with her choice and her chance. Good enough for me.
UcMiami no disagreements with your post just a slightly different point of view based on the SG position and the other candidates that were under consideration. The coaching staff envisions a role and sees something in every player- even our walkons have a role to play. Stewie and MoJeff will graduate together and leave big holes in the UCONN team. For the SG position Chong, Eckmark, Bent, Nurse are the candidates. At the PG position Nurse, Dangerfield, Chong, &Bent??? are the options. I will probably get crucified for saying this but all the candidates are role players (non-superstars as you call them) IMO. Dangerfield has the potential to be special but not as a Freshmen.
So from among the candidates for both the PG and the SG position two candidates will have to step up to keep the team in NC contention IMO.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
but obviously the coaching staff likes her a lot, and she is very excited with her choice and her chance. Good enough for me.

Damn right. That was a recruiting that went lickety split fast.

Reaction Score
I think that UCMiami's points are well taken. Team, chemistry, role playing, and versatility enter into Geno's decisions. As UC points out there have been many players who have come here as unheralded freshman and then become important members of the team.

This off-season's rash of transfers (we had Sadie leave earlier) shows that you can't fill every roster position with players who will expect (demand) significant playing time. Ms. Bent may become a starter, and may wind up one of our greats, but she comes in knowing about Dangerfield, and Nurse (and maybe Chou) and is still willing to make the committment to work and compete.

We have to believe that Geno thinks he knows something about how well she will perform in a Husky uniform. Like UC, I can think of others that surprised us, and still others who played little and yet made a contribution to the team.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think that UCMiami's points are well taken. Team, chemistry, role playing, and versatility enter into Geno's decisions. As UC points out there have been many players who have come here as unheralded freshman and then become important members of the team.

This off-season's rash of transfers (we had Sadie leave earlier) shows that you can't fill every roster position with players who will expect (demand) significant playing time. Ms. Bent may become a starter, and may wind up one of our greats, but she comes in knowing about Dangerfield, and Nurse (and maybe Chou) and is still willing to make the committment to work and compete.

We have to believe that Geno thinks he knows something about how well she will perform in a Husky uniform. Like UC, I can think of others that surprised us, and still others who played little and yet made a contribution to the team.

LOL! We have no Chou because we went with Bent.
We have a Chong which is better than any Chou.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
UcMiami said:
With a roster of 10 plus players, there is always a lot of room for non-superstars, and in fact this tends to make for a better team chemistry as not everyone is going to get meaningful minutes in games. Uconn has had some really great team members who never got significant minutes, and some who were never on the 'national radar' who ended up contributing significantly more than anyone would have guessed coming out of HS. Maria Conlon is probably the poster child for the latter, but Jessica Moore is another example of a player who was never touted as a world beater but contributed significantly. The others are players like the Valley sisters, Gardler, Tahirah Williams, Buck, McLaren, etc. They were all integral team members, had some shining moments, a great four years, and a good (and free) college education. I have no idea about Bent's skills or how she will develop at Uconn, but obviously the coaching staff likes her a lot, and she is very excited with her choice and her chance. Good enough for me.
I agree with you but I think one of the Valley girls was highly ranked and I think Kelli was too. Heather wasn't chopped liver either!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Coco - I certainly think Nurse is a potential 'superstar' - her freshman year was far better than Jefferson's, and compares favorably with JenR, Bria, Rene, Tiffany, and even DT. She shot twos and threes better than all of them, had comparable assists to the best of them with a lot fewer turnovers, rebounded and played defense extremely well in comparison. And Dangerfield is coming in with a very high reputation. I would add Lou to the mix for SG as Geno and others have mentioned her in that regard. While Chong has had some problems in her first two years she has also had some bright moments - if she puts it together she can be very effective and Eckmark before injury was the first freshman off the bench. Still not sure where Williams fits but her being used defensively if not offensively as a guard is also an option.
And while Uconn has been interested in your list of other guards, I haven't seen a lot of indication that they are likely to come - Geno particularly likes recruits who really want to come to Uconn. The fact he has offered and accepted a commitment from Bent, might suggest that the interest from and in the guards on you list is not very strong. There are not a lot of players that Geno pursues late into the process - perhaps understanding that a player who isn't sure Uconn is the right choice, may not be firmly committed to the Uconn process should they eventual decide to come.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I agree with you but I think one of the Valley girls was highly ranked and I think Kelli was too. Heather wasn't chopped liver either!
My point was not based on ranking with the 'also contributed' list of players, but based on them never being starters and major contributors in the minutes/stats of the box scores. Players like Chong and Stef were not in the usual rarified air of players the board gets excited about in terms of national rankings - anything over 20 is 'also rans' here! Kelly Faris also falls into that universe with a HG ranking of 34 and a 94 scouts grade.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Here's hoping that Tabor comes out this way to play a game next season...maybe at Loomis or Suffield?
I would love to see her play. Hmm...Loomis has an annual mid-December event with quite a few
New England prep schools there. I do know a basketball-related soul there....I 'll see if the field is already complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom