2016 Maui Jim Maui Invitational Bracket Unveiled | The Boneyard

2016 Maui Jim Maui Invitational Bracket Unveiled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They should have put UNC on the other side, guess they think GT vs UNC is the dream matchup.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
Looks like UConn is the 4th seed. That's O.K. UConn will just do what UConn always does. Prove they're better on the court.
It's definitely the right seeding for us though. Oregon should be #1, UNC #2, Wisconsin #3 (although I think we're better than their roster), and then good guys at #4.

Reaction Score
First of all this is best possible news. We win against what was a horrid OSU team last year we get a guaranteed match up with UNC. The problem with some of these preason tournaments is that if it does not follow chalk you could leave the island without as many marquee games as one would hope. Uconn is already playing Gtown this year I am not sure another game against them does much for us. If Tenn upsets Wisc and Gtown beats Oregon...we get by UNC you could be leaving Maui with only one really solid RPI game. So the goal is to get some as many RPI friendly games as possible why not play them in second round?

Reaction Score
They should have put UNC on the other side, guess they think GT vs UNC is the dream matchup.
I'd like to think its the best path for UNC . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . to face us.

Reaction Score
Here are last year's RPI scores as of March 13 so it doesn't include the tournament.
UNC 5
Oregon 2
UConn 32
Wisconsin 43
Gt0wn 106
Tenn 145
Oklahoma St 172
Chaminade.......

If Gtown is just a little bit better this year they are a top 100 team. The others, except Chaminade, are at minimum better than most of the cupcakes on our non-conference schedule last year.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Here are last year's RPI scores as of March 13 so it doesn't include the tournament.
UNC 5
Oregon 2
UConn 32
Wisconsin 43
Gt0wn 106
Tenn 145
Oklahoma St 172
Chaminade..

If Gtown is just a little bit better this year they are a top 100 team. The others, except Chaminade, are at minimum better than most of the cupcakes on our non-conference schedule last year.
isn't the consensus that the RPI is Bullshlt? i know they still go by it but dont some teams play so many hard teams away that even though they get smacked their RPI goes up

Reaction Score
isn't the consensus that the RPI is Bullshlt? i know they still go by it but dont some teams play so many hard teams away that even though they get smacked their RPI goes up

It's far from perfect and there are much better metrics, but typically by the end of the season there is a pretty close correlation between RPI and how good a team is.

Reaction Score
All the metrics are flawed. RPI does give you some basis of comparison. The later in the season, the better it works. I like Sagarin myself.

In the first month or so of the season none of them tell you very much. Way too many unanswered questions.

Reaction Score
I guess I'm looking at this schedule the wrong way. I'm trying to figure out when to plan snorkeling and the Luau. Luau might have to be on Thanksgiving.

Reaction Score
An OK St, UNC and Oregon sweep would be an unreal OOC boost. Very much looking forward to this tournament and lots of good teams to play!

Reaction Score
Tickets are now on sale, general admission for the 3 Uconn games comes out to $406 a ticket.

Reaction Score
So I'm getting hyped about the Maui being right around the corner. Yes its a month away, but thats only 4 more weeks of football away.....which'll feel like 2 weeks lol! And I always get hyped for early season tourneys (they're the best)!

Anyway, Oregon (top 10), UNC (top 10), Wisconsin (top 15) are all juicy targets to eat up. Good litmus test to move up/down the rankings.

I predict that we at least get 2nd place in this tourney. Speed kills....and we have a lot of it. I think some of these teams wont be prepared for it.

Thoughts?

Reaction Score
So I'm getting hyped about the Maui being right around the corner. Yes its a month away, but thats only 4 more weeks of football away.....which'll feel like 2 weeks lol! And I always get hyped for early season tourneys (they're the best)!

Anyway, Oregon (top 10), UNC (top 10), Wisconsin (top 15) are all juicy targets to eat up. Good litmus test to move up/down the rankings.

I predict that we at least get 2nd place in this tourney. Speed kills....and we have a lot of it. I think some of these teams wont be prepared for it.

Thoughts?
Second place indicates that we beat Ok St and UNC. I'm not yet going to predict that our young guys can beat last year's NCAA tourney runner-up. That being said, our history in Maui shows we can do it. #MauiMagic

Reaction Score
Yeah I don't think the placement itself matters. I think we want to come out of there with 1 loss or less, and we don't want that loss to be to OKST or Chaminade. If we come out with one loss to any other teams then we'd be in great shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom