2016 Commit #4 - Quayvon Skanes (WR/S) Chicago Illinois | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2016 Commit #4 - Quayvon Skanes (WR/S) Chicago Illinois

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Kid has speed and awareness with knack to make people miss in the open field. Another great get for the staff. Welcome to the #DogPound Skanes!!

Reaction Score
It's fairly amazing..

I spent a week pointing out that our expectations shouldn't be so low and got killed. Gee maybe I was right it's not out of line to have expectations to beat a Northwestern, an NC State, Duke and actual FBS schools.

The funny part to me is that I'm negative for having expectations - but the positive people are the ones who gave up and set their expectations to zero.
I was afraid you were transitioning from the The Big Joe to the Moriarty character in Kelly's Heroes.

Reaction Score
It's fairly amazing..

I spent a week pointing out that our expectations shouldn't be so low and got killed. Gee maybe I was right it's not out of line to have expectations to beat a Northwestern, an NC State, Duke and actual FBS schools.

The funny part to me is that I'm negative for having expectations - but the positive people are the ones who gave up and set their expectations to zero.

Exactly what I was thinking! I was just hoping we would pick up some left overs from the University of New Haven or Southern CT. Whaler do you have brown eyes? Just wondering?

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
I like how you win no matter what the outcome ... that's kind of Trump-like. (leaving out the Trump bankruptcies, litigation, lost jobs, hurt feelings)
what about the Trump hair?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well the usual cast has taken their shots. I'm still waiting on Bnich and Sportsart to join the party.

It's hilarious to watch them further prove their cluelessness.

There are dozen posters who could have been summed up in :'can't win, don't try'

Reaction Score
I am of the opinion that getting excited by having competition from Illinois, Northwestern, Eastern Illinois, Toledo, Western Michigan is cool in June ... but I am more excited when talent is actually on the field and looks like they are physically imposing and can develop.

Reaction Score
Great place to make your mark. Opportunity abounds with a first class university and program that wants you as a player on the field.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I am of the opinion that getting excited by having competition from Illinois, Northwestern, Eastern Illinois, Toledo, Western Michigan is cool in June ... but I am more excited when talent is actually on the field and looks like they are physically imposing and can develop.

Guess what?! The two things are connected!

Reaction Score
Guess what?! The two things are connected!

Not always. 100% correlation? Nope.

What do we think of Diaco (and then Cummings, Poindexter, Brown, Lineburg, Wolthausen, Rearden, Corley, Verducci, Patterson) as evaluators?

Too early to tell. Do you like the stories (post signing day) of what they saw in kids? I accept that we would be better off if we regularly were beating Rutgers in NJ/NY, Pitt in Western PA, Maryland in MD, BC in New England and Syracuse in the prep schools. My belief - here we are 4 kids in - is we are doing better at this than we had in the HCRE or PP era. Edsall had some great raw finds - things you just don't expect (Butler, Blidi, Anthony Sherman, Danny Murray, Will Beatty).

I am not disagreeing with you whaler11. Nor trying to be argumentative. I am just trying to be a fan and judge what is going on with this specific staff versus our previous on a year to year look.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not always. 100% correlation? Nope.

What do we think of Diaco (and then Cummings, Poindexter, Brown, Lineburg, Wolthausen, Rearden, Corley, Verducci, Patterson) as evaluators?

Too early to tell. Do you like the stories (post signing day) of what they saw in kids? I accept that we would be better off if we regularly were beating Rutgers in NJ/NY, Pitt in Western PA, Maryland in MD, BC in New England and Syracuse in the prep schools. My belief - here we are 4 kids in - is we are doing better at this than we had in the HCRE or PP era. Edsall had some great raw finds - things you just don't expect (Butler, Blidi, Anthony Sherman, Danny Murray, Will Beatty).

I am not disagreeing with you whaler11. Nor trying to be argumentative. I am just trying to be a fan and judge what is going on with this specific staff versus our previous on a year to year look.

Is it a perfect correlation? Of course not.

And if you gave P a class full of guys that you stole from SEC schools he'd still have a cruddy team.

If you are beating better programs for players how well you can evaluate is less important - because the sum of the coaches at those schools know how to evaluate, even if the market isn't perfectly efficient.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
It's hilarious to watch them further prove their cluelessness.

There are dozen posters who could have been summed up in :'can't win, don't try'
Yes, that's exactly what they said:rolleyes:

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Jim Fuller linked to this Chicago Tribune article. Kid had an offer from Iowa as well.

Skanes caught 41 passes for 981 yards and 12 touchdowns for the 12-2 Wildcats last season. He fell short of winning a state title when Rochester scored 21 points in the third quarter to pull away in a 49-28 win in the Class 4A state title game.

Skanes is working on erasing the memories of that loss by capturing a state championship in track. He ran a leg in Phillips' city title-winning 100 relay on Saturday.

His work in the classroom is another selling point to colleges. McAllister said Skanes has a 3.7 grade-point-average.

"Quayvon has always been motivated, and since we lost in the championship game, he's added that to his motivation," McAllister said. "Some schools say he's too small, and that irks him.

"Indiana told me that I was too small," Skanes said. "That just makes me work harder because I know I have good speed."

Reaction Score
Is it a perfect correlation? Of course not.

And if you gave P a class full of guys that you stole from SEC schools he'd still have a cruddy team.

If you are beating better programs for players how well you can evaluate is less important - because the sum of the coaches at those schools know how to evaluate, even if the market isn't perfectly efficient.

LOL

That's the whole point. If you know the efficient market theory, you realize that FOOTBALL recruiting is far from an efficient market. And, UCONN - our University - is probably the very best example why it's not efficient. Market Geography, Timing, Information from key sources ... all poorly processed.

• A large number analyze and value. (not true - particularly in NE/NY ... also Eastern Canada, plus small schools, kids that don't go to primary football target high schools or attend combines)
  • New information comes to the market independent from other news and in a random fashion. (true)
  • Evaluation adjust quickly to new information. (not true ... and I think there is a timing issue. Kids that come on fast in their senior year often are not found because lots of the major P5 and like are near full. Edsall thrived on this)

It is a long way from the stock market. Or other asset classes - even real estate. There are enormous whole that make this inefficient.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
LOL

That's the whole point. If you know the efficient market theory, you realize that FOOTBALL recruiting is far from an efficient market. And, UCONN - our University - is probably the very best example why it's not efficient. Market Geography, Timing, Information from key sources ... all poorly processed.

• A large number analyze and value. (not true - particularly in NE/NY ... also Eastern Canada, plus small schools, kids that don't go to primary football target high schools or attend combines)
  • New information comes to the market independent from other news and in a random fashion. (true)
  • Evaluation adjust quickly to new information. (not true ... and I think there is a timing issue. Kids that come on fast in their senior year often are not found because lots of the major P5 and like are near full. Edsall thrived on this)
It is a long way from the stock market. Or other asset classes - even real estate. There are enormous whole that make this inefficient.

The NBA and NFL drafts aren't perfectly efficient either but you don't see anyone trading a lottery pick for 3 second rounders or a top 5 NFL pick for 3 fifths and a sixth.

The market doesn't have to be perfectly efficient to understand if you take 20 kids with Alabama/Auburn offers and 20 kids with FAU/FIU offers who is going to win in the longrun.

Acting that a market isn't informative because it isn't perfectly efficient is ridiculous. Any study of professional sports drafts would show you this even if sometimes Tom Brady lands in the 6th round.

That UConn got to 5-2 in a weak conference twice doesn't prove the market is anything. The fact that they are well below .500 in conference play as an FBS school actually tells you a lot more about the market than two cherry picked outliers. You know, sample size, variance and whatnot.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
EXCELLENT start to the Class of 2016. Welcome aboard!
Thanks Dooley. For a few minutes there I felt like I was back in an insufferable Econ 220 class in Storrs, and I was starting to feel bit nauseous. Hopefully, this thread is back on track now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom