2016-2017 Season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2016-2017 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm relaxed just stating cause we all now what's going to happen next year when the streak ends and UCONN has multiple losses in one season!! This board is going to be like the world is coming to a end. Just preparing u in advance!! But it's a long way to think about next year. Let's just enjoy what we all wintnessed!!! st

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Next year will be a challenge. I'm optimistic overall, but there are more than the usual number of unanswered questions. This year, we had a few questions: (1) Who will replace KML's outside shot. At first no one did, but Stewie shot a career high, and Lou got hot the last third of the season. We weren't quite as good from the arc, but we survived fine. (2) Who will be the defensive stopper and rebounder that Kiah was? Again, no one was, but Stewie was pretty close, recording career highs in rebounds and blocks. (3) Could Gabby improve her FT shooting and develop an outside shot? Unequivocally, yes. She went from a 46% FT shooter to a 75% shooter. I'm not sure I've ever seen that amount of improvement in just one season. She also developed a highly reliable shot from 10-16 feet. (4) How much will the freshmen add? A lot. Both Napheesa and Lou started a number of games. Napheesa was a good defender and ball magnet, and Lou found her silky stroke.

Reaction Score
Next year UCONN is going to be very good- as long as they stay healthy. Butler can play- so she isn't Stef, what can you do? she can play hard - commit fouls but add a toughness do some scoring set some picks -- she can still play minutes.

UCONN will have five very good players- Nurse, KLS, Gabby, Collier and Dangerfield. These are skilled all-americans with a great coach. You don't turn into a pumpkin with all the skill and talent and coaching that are available. Natalie and others can play off of these players. UCONN will be fine even if they don't make final four. They'll be top ten. The opponents we play next year are college kids next year- not pros.

Sometimes us Husky fans are so scared to see our team lose that we see ghosts. Just as a reminder of a thread that was created that "UCONN was exposed" after the Texas game which UCONN won by over 20 and the other team- very good never threatened. This UCONN team was one of the greatest of all-time yet any little picky-thing in which the team isn't perfect it means "the team was exposed." That's fans seeing ghosts.

Some need to take a breath and relax and realize 20 year old kids aren't perfect. Yes we are going to lose some games next year. That's how it is supposed to be.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I'm relaxed just stating cause we all now what's going to happen next year when the streak ends and UCONN has multiple losses in one season!! This board is going to be like the world is coming to a end. Just preparing u in advance!! But it's a long way to think about next year. Let's just enjoy what we all wintnessed!!! st
you telling people to enjoy what they just witnessed but you're writing a 5-paragraph essay. Seems that your world is coming to an end 2 days after winning the National Championship. You worry about preparing yourself for next year. No one knows whats gonna happen next year except Carnac and he said he cant see that far ahead.

Reaction Score
I just don't see us being able to compete with the likes or Baylor Notre Dame and South Carolina. When the games were basically won by the 3 rd quarter this season and we went to our bench with butler ekmark even chong our offense went sour. Huge drop off even on the defensive end. Us husky fans have been very very spoiled. We all need to come to realization next year is going to be a completely different year. Absolutely no depth at all. Losing Boykin hurts and not bringing in any bigs in for next year will really hurt. I'm not trying to be a Debby downer here just being realistic. There is a lot of teams that are bringing back a lot talent and top recruiting classes. We will lose to Notre Dame , Baylor and South Carolina. Maryland and Ohio State could go either way. Only team that could defeat us in confrence play will be USF. UCONN at best is a preseason 5. I just think it's going to be a very difficult season next year. If we make it to a final four that would be over achieving. Let's hope 2017 recruiting class will turn out to be a blockbuster one. Remember the last time we had a number 1 recruiting class was when we signed Stewie mo and tuck. So next year is going to be a very long season. Why do u think so many coaches wanted UCONN on there schedule next year. My prediction is 5-7 losses next season. And remember when everyone was picking and poking at Tennessee with all three losses this year. That could be us next season. But Tennessee almost made it to the final four. I'm just saying all of us UCONN fans expect perfection. Next year is going to be a huge change. Yes we will have talent but there are more teams with more and they can't wait to get a crack at UCONN. Oh and we play Stanford? If so that will most likely be a loss. At least GENO isn't afraid to schedule the toughest when he knows it's a completely different team and most likely knows those games will be a loss. But then again GENO doesn't run away from challenge like some coaches. But he prepares them for March. But it will most likely be a very long season. So enjoy this ride cause UCONN won't be dominant. Game is changing and more talent is opting not to go to UCONN. So let's just remember at some point the ride comes to a end. It's life everything comes to a end at some point so embrace the past decade and the new journey starts next year!!

We don't play Stanford until 2017-2018.

Reaction Score
With respect, I find the tenor of some of the responses to my original post rather laughable, especially those that purport to "prepare" the rest of us unwashed and uneducated fans for what potentially looms in our favorite team's short-term future. UConn may actually lose a few next season? Really?? Might not even bring home #12? Gee, the thought never crossed our silly minds.

In many ways, I look forward to next year with huge anticipation, even with the foreknowledge of the possibility of all the looming pitfalls. I contend that the season will be a major showcase of Geno's prodigious talents, a fitting testament to how great coaching can still result in fielding a very formidable team... even with the crippling losses it now faces via graduation. While I fully expect some losses, I make no prediction of any specific losses to any scheduled opponents, some of whom, I think, while currently licking their chops, are in for unpleasant surprises. Sure, the fairy tale ride of back-to-back-to-back-to-back championships may indeed, and probably should, come to an end net year, the streak of UConn's continued relative dominance is far from over, and will not be so long as Geno and staff remains.

Reaction Score
I just don't see us being able to compete with the likes or Baylor Notre Dame and South Carolina. When the games were basically won by the 3 rd quarter this season and we went to our bench with butler ekmark even chong our offense went sour. Huge drop off even on the defensive end. Us husky fans have been very very spoiled. We all need to come to realization next year is going to be a completely different year. Absolutely no depth at all. Losing Boykin hurts and not bringing in any bigs in for next year will really hurt. I'm not trying to be a Debby downer here just being realistic. There is a lot of teams that are bringing back a lot talent and top recruiting classes. We will lose to Notre Dame , Baylor and South Carolina. Maryland and Ohio State could go either way. Only team that could defeat us in confrence play will be USF. UCONN at best is a preseason 5. I just think it's going to be a very difficult season next year. If we make it to a final four that would be over achieving. Let's hope 2017 recruiting class will turn out to be a blockbuster one. Remember the last time we had a number 1 recruiting class was when we signed Stewie mo and tuck. So next year is going to be a very long season. Why do u think so many coaches wanted UCONN on there schedule next year. My prediction is 5-7 losses next season. And remember when everyone was picking and poking at Tennessee with all three losses this year. That could be us next season. But Tennessee almost made it to the final four. I'm just saying all of us UCONN fans expect perfection. Next year is going to be a huge change. Yes we will have talent but there are more teams with more and they can't wait to get a crack at UCONN. Oh and we play Stanford? If so that will most likely be a loss. At least GENO isn't afraid to schedule the toughest when he knows it's a completely different team and most likely knows those games will be a loss. But then again GENO doesn't run away from challenge like some coaches. But he prepares them for March. But it will most likely be a very long season. So enjoy this ride cause UCONN won't be dominant. Game is changing and more talent is opting not to go to UCONN. So let's just remember at some point the ride comes to a end. It's life everything comes to a end at some point so embrace the past decade and the new journey starts next year!!

An entire post (in BOLD no less) predicting doom and gloom (e.g. absolutely no depth, very difficult season next year). Virtually every sentence has a negative connotation.
Here are some examples (there are too many for me to list them all): huge drop off, our offense went sour, very very spoiled, and the worst of all, comparing UConn with Tennessee.
The fans here recognize the challenges next year will present and the overwhelming majority will act appropriately.
Finally, I'm having some difficulty deciding whether you're a pessimistic UConn fan or a common troll. Based on the unrelenting negative tone of your post, I'm leaning toward the latter.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I have a lot of confidence in Geno and the coaching staff getting this team ready next season. A lot of this years top teams lose a lot. A lot of this years top teams don't play defense and we saw that in the NCAAs. I not really worried about next season. We wont win every game by 30+ but we will win a lot of games. I expect Geno to spend a lot of time developing Butler. I also expect to see Gabby knocking down 3's. We have a very balanced attack next season and although we lose 3 SuperStars we have the talent and chemistry to be very good by the end of the season. I [posted a while back which top teams lose top players. ND and Baylor we will be very good next season because they play good defense. So does UConn. Remember nothing is good as it looks and nothing is bad as it looks. Im looking forward to next season.

Reaction Score
I read Mike's post and I never thought I could get depressed after winning #11 but it happened. Then I realized that the post was just an illustration of the laws of physics. Opposites like protons and electrons, matter and anti-matter, Fox News and MSNBC all exist in nature to preserve balance. We have Tonyc who always sees the glass as overflowing while others have trouble even seeing the if the glass is still there. The best advise I have as a fan comes from a beer commercial..."stay thirsty, my friends"...the best is yet to come in terms of seeing a new group of wonderful young women come together as a team and discover their new identity. I don't think we have a right to ask for more than that.

Reaction Score

We who've been around for awhile remember that we've had down years before. Remember 2004/2005? Lost 8 games. But still were on the verge of going to the Elite Eight. And when Tina was a sophomore, she got beaten up by LSU, and we didn't go to the Final Four. And that team had freshman Maya Moore.

So let's root for our ladies to do the best they can. They're fighting an uphill battle. They don't have a great center for the first time in many years. And that is the biggest weakness. But good luck to 'em. We're fans!!!!

Reaction Score
We don't play Stanford until 2017-2018.

Really? Tara is so freaked out by her losses to Connecticut that she won't play us for three years? Wow! If that isn't a complement to Coach Auriemma!

Reaction Score
I read Mike's post and I never thought I could get depressed after winning #11 but it happened. Then I realized that the post was just an illustration of the laws of physics. Opposites like protons and electrons, matter and anti-matter, Fox News and MSNBC all exist in nature to preserve balance. We have Tonyc who always sees the glass as overflowing while others have trouble even seeing the if the glass is still there. The best advise I have as a fan comes from a beer commercial..."stay thirsty, my friends"...the best is yet to come in terms of seeing a new group of wonderful young women come together as a team and discover their new identity. I don't think we have a right to ask for more than that.

Clearly, you haven't watched MSNBC in a long time. Purged every single progressive voice on the station. Fox Lite now. But OT...

Reaction Score
Saniya has one problem she likes to dribble the ball up court,instead of passing it up court and geting the offence going!!

Reaction Score
I am looking at next year with great anticipation. I have no doubt that the returning players will be substantially better. All of them, it's just the way it's is. The new blood, Crystal Dangerfield, Kyla and Molly will surprise. And Geno, CD, Shea and Marissa will perform their magic of integrating the new players into the system. Lots of games will be much more competitive. Who knows what the future will bring but that's what makes it so exciting. Frankly I don't care how many games we win or lose, I can't wait until next October.

Reaction Score
I will worry about next season when the games start. There is a long summer of development ahead and the players we see now could be vastly improved (or not) by the start of next season.

It's not like the program hasn't been through this before. And yes, I realize that we all still need stuff to talk about until next fall.

Reaction Score
Whenever I read about the vast developments waiting to happen in the summer, that little old lady entering the telephone booth "flashes upon the inward eye" and then Clark Kent walks out in Superman's costume.

Reaction Score
I too will be looking forward to next season with anxious anticipation. I find the media and even some of the people on this board to be hilarious , at times. We entered the season with 3 of the top 5 players in the country, arguably the top 3 IMHO. One being arguably , and IMHO , the greatest " College" player of all time. Surrounded by great role players to boot. When you have that kind of talent on a team, I think you are SUPPOSED to win ! I had everything I could to keep from rolling on the floor laughing during the pre-game on tuesday, when it was suggested that the syracuse " pressure " could actually control the huskies.
Anyway, I am concerned about Soniya. I know she was snakebit with the IT band, but I am also not sure she has been put in a great position to succed . I love Kiah, don't get me wrong, but, I have watched last seasons Stanford loss many, many times, and still feel Soniya became a scapegoat. I watch enough husky games over again enough to recognize almost all players get beat occasionally. With that said, exactly what does Geno and the staff want from Soniya's game? My take on Soniya is she is a point guard, capable of scoring. Early in the season, Geno seemed high on her, then she gets no playing time. People on the board will blame it on IT injury, but since we haven't heard about the injury recently , I'm not buying it . Why would he put her into that particular game situation the other night , after not contributing in recent important game situations ? I'm sure it will be used for " motivational " purposes.

Reaction Score
UConn needs post players. Maybe sign a senior graduate or two if any are available. My own opinion here but Butler has not shown much. No foot work. And as for a starting point if she plays well then I would start the Danger Zone. Chong like Butler and Ekmark will really need to impress Geno to play minutes.

Reaction Score
The pendulum did not swing for me. I remember the thread to which you refer, but I never thought Natalie was likely to be a starter. Full disclosure: I was also wrong...thought it would be Gabby, and that Lou would need more grooming before stepping in.

I believe that Butler will be much improved next season when she becomes that much more important to the team. Starting out this past season with nagging injuries and then playing limited minutes have hampered her growth. Whether she starts or not will likely be determined by the type of ball Geno wants to play against a specific opponent......if he wants to be small but quick she sits......if he needs size she starts........

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
First, I don't know about you, but it took me two years to get a Masters, not one.

Usually. But I got mine in one year and two months. It was, to say the least, a very busy year.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I believe that Butler will be much improved next season when she becomes that much more important to the team. Starting out this past season with nagging injuries and then playing limited minutes have hampered her growth.

This is a chicken and egg thing. Had she performed/practiced better she would've played more. The injury put her behind but there didn't seem to be any lingering issues with her hand after she returned. As I told people during the summer there's a big difference between putting up numbers on a non-tourney team where you are the best player and play tons of minutes, and being UConn quality. Think the Dolson comparisons were too bold but hopefully Butler can become a dependable asset to the team.

Reaction Score
This is a chicken and egg thing. Had she performed/practiced better she would've played more. The injury put her behind but there didn't seem to be any lingering issues with her hand after she returned. As I told people during the summer there's a big difference between putting up numbers on a non-tourney team where you are the best player and play tons of minutes, and being UConn quality. Think the Dolson comparisons were too bold but hopefully Butler can become a dependable asset to the team.

I totally agree that it is a chicken and egg thing but a player's confidence is often determined by success or failure in game action....and that confidence or lack there of effects even practice play.........either way this is clearly a make or break year for her if she wants to be a major contributor to the team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom