2015-16 College Hoops Discussion Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2015-16 College Hoops Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Connecticut has all the pieces in place to rejoin the national title picture

There are a couple of lines I disagree with, but for the most part, this SB Nation author seems spot on.

"There is no area -- size, speed, talent, experience -- where this squad fails to pass the preseason test. If the ingredients all blend perfectly then there's no reason for Connecticut to not be back in the national title picture. If they fight the process the same way they seemed to at times last season, then they can expect to end up in the same place."

If anything, he seems to give some players the benefit of the doubt in ways many fans wouldn't.

Reaction Score
Connecticut has all the pieces in place to rejoin the national title picture

There are a couple of lines I disagree with, but for the most part, this SB Nation author seems spot on.

"There is no area -- size, speed, talent, experience -- where this squad fails to pass the preseason test. If the ingredients all blend perfectly then there's no reason for Connecticut to not be back in the national title picture. If they fight the process the same way they seemed to at times last season, then they can expect to end up in the same place."

There are a few things that this guy ... and National writers ... didn't get. Kromah, Giffey and others were core parts of why we came together; experience is so very important in our play. Ryan Boatwright fought the good fight all season and he was consistent; but, we lacked the pieces to win games at times. We don't just put things on paper and roll out the balls.

This year, I think, we have some of the leadership pieces with kids maturing and feeling more comfortable in the Program.

Second, we should not have been a 7 seed. We should have been a 4/5 given our season accomplishments and we got dinged. And, Saint Joseph's and Phil Martelli was a very tough 10 seed. They were solid 1 through 5. I think they weren't going far in that tournament because of lack of depth; but their guards, interior and Bembry were excellent. We did slip by them. But, on my part, there is great admiration for the tough game they played. We did not have an easy draw. In fact, Villanova wilted to us in the second half. That was our easiest game ... the Mildcats.

Reaction Score
There are a few things that this guy ... and National writers ... didn't get. Kromah, Giffey and others were core parts of why we came together; experience is so very important in our play. Ryan Boatwright fought the good fight all season and he was consistent; but, we lacked the pieces to win games at times. We don't just put things on paper and roll out the balls.

This year, I think, we have some of the leadership pieces with kids maturing and feeling more comfortable in the Program.

Second, we should not have been a 7 seed. We should have been a 4/5 given our season accomplishments and we got dinged. And, Saint Joseph's and Phil Martelli was a very tough 10 seed. They were solid 1 through 5. I think they weren't going far in that tournament because of lack of depth; but their guards, interior and Bembry were excellent. We did slip by them. But, on my part, there is great admiration for the tough game they played. We did not have an easy draw. In fact, Villanova wilted to us in the second half. That was our easiest game ... the Mildcats.

I agree with all of this, but the author did much better than most. I would argue that KO leading his first team to 8th place in the Big East was a huge accomplishment and not a disappointment as the author implies.

Reaction Score
The 2012-2013 team being disappointing is a growing narrative amongst CBB writers that is really starting to get annoying. I actually liked most of the write-up but I could do without the lead-in.

Reaction Score
CBS top 100 players, Gibbs, DHam, and Brimah make the cut

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaab/eye...nd-one-college-basketball-players-for-2015-16

39. STERLING GIBBS, UConn

This is my pick for America’s most impactful transfer. Remember, before Seton Hall’s season went off the rails, he was a legitimate All-America candidate. Look for him to be the lead guard that replaces Ryan Boatright this year. -- SV

48. DANIEL HAMILTON, Connecticut

Hamilton is another player at UConn that will take a step forward this season. He averaged nearly 11 points per game as a freshman last season in high minutes. Now, he just needs to work on his efficiency, particularly around the rim given his slashing ability. -- SV

8. AMIDA BRIMAH, UConn

Brimah is the reigning American Athletic Conference Defensive Player of the Year who led the nation with 121 blocks last season. The 7-foot center shot 67.4 percent from the field last season, which is the best field goal percentage any UConn player has ever recorded. -- GP

Reaction Score
CBS top 100 players, Gibbs, DHam, and Brimah make the cut

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaab/eye...nd-one-college-basketball-players-for-2015-16

39. STERLING GIBBS, UConn

This is my pick for America’s most impactful transfer. Remember, before Seton Hall’s season went off the rails, he was a legitimate All-America candidate. Look for him to be the lead guard that replaces Ryan Boatright this year. -- SV

48. DANIEL HAMILTON, Connecticut

Hamilton is another player at UConn that will take a step forward this season. He averaged nearly 11 points per game as a freshman last season in high minutes. Now, he just needs to work on his efficiency, particularly around the rim given his slashing ability. -- SV

8. AMIDA BRIMAH, UConn

Brimah is the reigning American Athletic Conference Defensive Player of the Year who led the nation with 121 blocks last season. The 7-foot center shot 67.4 percent from the field last season, which is the best field goal percentage any UConn player has ever recorded. -- GP

Grayson Allen @ #41 after 1 solid game (when he was the 4th or 5th option) is pretty insane. Its impossible to make a top 100 but I just thought this particular ranking was egregious.

Reaction Score
Grayson Allen @ #41 after 1 solid game (when he was the 4th or 5th option) is pretty insane. Its impossible to make a top 100 but I just thought this particular ranking was egregious.
its a joke how overrated allen is . I must be completely missing the boat on him because dx is all over him as an nba prospect as well. Don't see how he is a better pro prospect than hamilton, who produced as a frosh and is also 4 inches taller while playing the same position.

Reaction Score
Why All-American Kris Dunn passed on NBA to return to Providence

"I know I could've had a good chance at being a lottery pick, but I didn't know the game as well. I'm going to be going to the NBA, 21 years old, and really only played one year of college basketball. I have to not only work on my game, but off the court I've got to work on my maturity. For instance, say if I get picked to the Clippers right now. I'm talking to a dude like Paul Pierce? He don't want to hear jokes. He's got a family. He wants to worry about staying healthy. I want to learn how to be a professional. It's almost strictly business there. I felt I needed to be a college player and a college person for one more year. Friends and family and fans, they only see the good on the court. I know, personally, the things I have to work on. I felt I need another year to develop those skills. I don't want to go to the NBA and not be ready. There's a lot of guys who go there, and their skills aren't developed. Some players don't like to admit it, but I can see my flaws."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...n-why-he-passed-on-nba-returned-to-providence

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Why All-American Kris Dunn passed on NBA to return to Providence

"I know I could've had a good chance at being a lottery pick, but I didn't know the game as well. I'm going to be going to the NBA, 21 years old, and really only played one year of college basketball. I have to not only work on my game, but off the court I've got to work on my maturity. For instance, say if I get picked to the Clippers right now. I'm talking to a dude like Paul Pierce? He don't want to hear jokes. He's got a family. He wants to worry about staying healthy. I want to learn how to be a professional. It's almost strictly business there. I felt I needed to be a college player and a college person for one more year. Friends and family and fans, they only see the good on the court. I know, personally, the things I have to work on. I felt I need another year to develop those skills. I don't want to go to the NBA and not be ready. There's a lot of guys who go there, and their skills aren't developed. Some players don't like to admit it, but I can see my flaws."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...n-why-he-passed-on-nba-returned-to-providence
I'm rooting for this kid. Hope he gets a lucrative NBA contract when the time comes.

Reaction Score
His thinking is great . Going to college for four years if youre talented is underrated ( see knicks young pgs Galloway + grant ). However I'm pretty sure he was a lock lotto pick in 2015, still unclear how he passed that up ...With his injury history and what not

Reaction Score
I found his comment on Paul Pierce funny. Apparently you become humorless once you reach his age. I'm a willing listener if he ever wants to try some of his jokes out.

Reaction Score
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...ar-heels-are-no-1-in-preseason-top-25-and-one

4. MARYLAND TERRAPINS • 2014-15 Record: 28-7

Melo Trimble and Jake Layman both postponed entry into the NBA Draft to return to school, which gives Maryland two experienced and great pieces. Add to that a couple of McDonald's All-Americans in Rasheed Sulaimon and Diamond Stone, and Georgia Tech transfer Robert Carter, and it's easy to see why the Terrapins are just about everybody's pick to win the Big Ten.

10. GONZAGA BULLDOGS • 2014-15 Record: 35-3

The Zags must replace a backcourt of Kevin Pangos, Gary Bell and Byron Wesley, which isn't ideal. But they're so good up front with Kyle Wiltjer, Domantas Sabonis and Przemek Karnowski that another 30-win season seems likely, and Mark Few's first Final Four is a possibility.

16. UCONN HUSKIES • 2014-15 Record: 20-15

The addition of Seton Hall transfer Sterling Gibbs should ease the loss of Ryan Boatright. And every other player who averaged at least 4.0 points per game is back -- including Amida Brimah, who doubles as the nation's leading returning shot-blocker and reigning AAC Defensive Player of the Year. Simply put, UConn shouldn't miss the NCAA Tournament this season like it did last season.

24. SMU MUSTANGS • 2014-15 Record: 27-7

The Mustangs won't play in the NCAA Tournament regardless of how many games they win because of a postseason ban for NCAA violations. Still, they're one of the country's best teams on paper thanks to Nic Moore and Markus Kennedy. That inside-outside duo combined to average 26.4 points, 8.6 rebounds and 6.2 assists last season. The only question is whether SMU's diminished goals will result in a lack of enthusiasm for a season headed nowhere.

25. CINCINNATI BEARCATS • 2014-15 Record: 23-11

All but one player from a 23-win team is back -- as is head coach Mick Cronin, who missed most of last season for medical reasons. Consequently, it's reasonable to assume the Bearcats will be really good defensively again. And they could challenge for an AAC title if they improve offensively considering Cincinnati has won 42 straight games when scoring at least 60 points.

Reaction Score
Julius Erving Small Forward of the Year Award presented by University of Massachusetts
  • Jaylen Brown, California
  • Daniel Hamilton, Connecticut Huskies
  • Rodney Purvis, Connecticut
  • Brandon Ingram, Duke
  • John Brown, High Point Panthers
  • Troy Williams, Indiana
  • Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk, Kansas Jayhawks
  • Wayne Selden Jr., Kansas
  • Alex Poythress, Kentucky
  • Damion Lee, Louisville Cardinals
  • Ben Simmons, Louisiana State Tigers
  • Jake Layman, Maryland
  • Denzel Valentine, Michigan State Spartans
  • Justin Jackson, North Carolina
  • DeAndre Bembry, Saint Joseph’s Hawks
  • Malik Pope, San Diego State Aztecs
  • Michael Gbinije, Syracuse Orange
  • D.J. Hogg, Texas A&M
  • Brandon Taylor, Utah Utes
  • Nigel Hayes, Wisconsin

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebask...n-watch-lists-for-positional-awards-announced

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'd call it karma for the Cincinnati poster that was trolling us throughout the season - think the handle was payday or something similar.

That dude was annoying. He was even embarrassing another semi regular Cincy fan (kobe).

Reaction Score
Some stuff on Maryland from B1G Media Day:

Big Ten Men's Hoops ‏@B1GMBBall 22h22 hours ago
Melo Trimble of @TerrapinHoops named the 2015-16 #B1GMBBall Preseason Player of the Year.

Jonas Shaffer ‏@jonas_shaffer 4h4 hours ago
Turgeon on Diamond Stone: "What he's improved on is he's changed his body. He's lost weight." #B1GMediaDay

Jonas Shaffer ‏@jonas_shaffer 4h4 hours ago
Turgeon on Stone: "Defensively is where he's really going to have to improve." #B1GMediaDay

Jonas Shaffer ‏@jonas_shaffer 3h3 hours ago
Turgeon thinks Damonte Dodd can be the Defensive Player of the Year. As in, the NCAA's Defensive Player of the Year.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
Rodney Purvis may be one of my favorite UConn players of all time. I think he's primed for a HUGE year, but his love for UConn and his kindness to fans will always remain legacy in Storrs. His loyalty, leadership and ambassadorship to UConn should make him captain this year. I'd love for him, Brimah and Omar to be this year's captains. Good mix of senior, on court, and classroom leadership.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom