• Eric Brainard - (Jr) RB Hebron, CT [Plymouth St] 5'9" 187lb
  • Ellis Marder - (RS Fr) S
  • Andreas Knappe (RS Fr) Defensive line
  • William Oldach (So) Long snapper [Hopkinton, MA] 6'4" 280lb
  • Noel Thomas (Fr) WR
  • Jesse Joseph (RS Sr)
  • Deshon Foxx (Jr) WR
  • QB's= Casey Cochran, Chandler Whitmer, Scott McCummings
Coaches haven't been updated yet. If this is old news please ignore.

Reaction Score
Jesse Joseph on there, but no Jennings. I remember there being questions on medical redshirts for both.

Reaction Score
Lots of # changes for the skilled guys... Good to have an update though... Been waiting for some official news for awhile it seems....

Reaction Score
Bennett coming back is very good news. No matter what you think of his play, or the OL's play, last year, it means we have everyone but Adam Masters (who missed the last third of the season anyway) back. Any changes made will now be changes made for improvement -- because someone gets beaten out -- and not of desperation.

Joseph coming back was known. Jennings said he wanted to apply, and didn't get honored on senior day, but no one knew why he thought he had a chance. He didn't. Too bad and I wish the young man luck, but totally expected.

Looking at who isn't back, David Kenney, who would have been a RS Sr. backup outside LB, and Shortell, the Juco transfer who might have been competing to start at TE are gone. Also gone are a number of walkons, the only one of whom I remember ever seeing the field was Kantor, the DB from suburban DC. Back on the depth chart at TE is Hansson, the Floridian who was not on the roster last year.

Reaction Score
Bennett being listed is big news..... Let’s see if it holds true until July....

Reaction Score
Bennett coming back is very good news. No matter what you think of his play, or the OL's play, last year, it means we have everyone but Adam Masters (who missed the last third of the season anyway) back. Any changes made will now be changes made for improvement -- because someone gets beaten out -- and not of desperation.

Joseph coming back was known. Jennings said he wanted to apply, and didn't get honored on senior day, but no one knew why he thought he had a chance. He didn't. Too bad and I wish the young man luck, but totally expected.

Sucks for Jennings, I hope he does well on pro day.

Reaction Score
What is the difference between "running back" and "tailback?"

Reaction Score
I noticed that Mark Hansson TE is back on the spring roster after being academically ineligible. That's big cause he really showed the ability to catch the ball last spring, and he can definitely block being a converted OL. He's the favorite to start at TE next year.

Reaction Score
I know I'm going to get blasted, because he struggled so badly at times last year, but if Bennett's knees hold up, I think he has pro potential.

Watching him come off his man and pick up a blitzing lber in the spring game a few years back left quite an impression on me. Only Will Beatty was better IMO than Bennet so far at LT, and that includes Krug.

Reaction Score
Looks like some of the heights and weights are updated....
but Hemingway and Nwokeji are still at 261/262 respectively. They either haven't updated them yet, or something is going on with these 2. However, Samra is updated from 250 to 290....so we have that going for us.

Reaction Score
And, for those interested, This puts our scholly count at 83.

Removed- Shortell, Kenney
Added- All current commits, Hansson, Bennett

Reaction Score
I know I'm going to get blasted, because he struggled so badly at times last year, but if Bennett's knees hold up, I think he has pro potential.

Watching him come off his man and pick up a blitzing lber in the spring game a few years back left quite an impression on me. Only Will Beatty was better IMO than Bennet so far at LT, and that includes Krug.

Bennett came to this program with talent. I have no clue if all the injuries have had a long term physical effect, but the fact that he struggled last year having not played so much over the prior five was not shocking.

I don't know about pro potential, but I'm not surprised if he has a very good year next year. (Assuming our OL buys in to whatever scheme the coaches are giving them.)

Reaction Score
And, for those interested, This puts our scholly count at 83.

Removed- Shortell, Kenney
Added- All current commits, Hansson, Bennett

Huh? How in the world can you come up with 83? We didn't finish last year with 85 and we haven't announced this year's signing class yet.

Reaction Score
Huh? How in the world can you come up with 83? We didn't finish last year with 85 and we haven't announced this year's signing class yet.

It includes the kids who have committed but not yet signed, according to all 3 major recruiting sites.

Reaction Score
What is the difference between "running back" and "tailback?"
Are you asking this as a general question, or specifically about how some of our players are classified?

If you are asking the question generally:

"Running back" is the general term for any player lined up in the backfield other than the QB and H-back/Tight End types....they might be the featured runner, or a bigger Fullback type who might only be there for blocking purposes, or a Fullback who might cross over into pass catching like Anthony Sherman did. The "tailback" is specifically referring to the featured ball carrier in an offense.

If you are asking the question specifically for us:
For our roster, I assume the generic "running back" refers to a player they either see as a "tweener" in the backfield and haven't decided yet where to put him (like Lou Allen or Martin Hyppolite-a big tailback/small fullback), or refers to a Scout team player that will never see the field so they aren't concerned with identifying a specific position-since his real job is to get beat up against the 1st Team Defense trying to emulate whatever part of the opponents' running game they want him to give the defense a look for.

Reaction Score
but Hemingway and Nwokeji are still at 261/262 respectively. They either haven't updated them yet, or something is going on with these 2. However, Samra is updated from 250 to 290....so we have that going for us.

I didn't see anyone's weight updated. Samra was listed at 290 last year

Reaction Score

lighter ol might be better for the new offense

Reaction Score

Listed weights are not always accurate. Maybe competitive advantages or maybe administrative laziness ... who knows. It has been noted numerous times that the coaching staff doesn't go out of their way to provide accurate or up to date player weights.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Springtime is when we get the weight's and other info. Anything now means nothing

Reaction Score
I think Bennett showed much improvement in the last third of last season. After the Syracuse game I actually thought they should sit him, but I noticed a big improvement. So, if he's back, I think it's really big news. We would have some depth at the tackles, becuase I think Friend has some talent as well.

Of course, we need two things to happent to go along with this OL. First, we need to add another back who doesn't go down every time someone on the opposing defense farts. Second, whatever GDL did to completely duck up our run blocking needs to be addressed. Him taking up golf on a permanent basis would probably do the trick.

Reaction Score
Jim Fuller (@NHRJimFuller)
1/24/13, 9:47 PM
#UConn spring football roster includes pair of departures Post original url/VmhNCg

"Thursday, January 24, 2013

Spring roster is up

Figured I would pass on that UConn has posted its spring roster on the university's official website. Missing from the list of players is tight end Neil Shortell, a junior-college teammate of starting quarterback Chandler Whitmer and special teamer David Kenney. A source indicated to me that Shortell is no longer enrolled at UConn while Kenney is expected to compete with the Huskies' track and field team and could opt to head to a FCS program in the fall to play his final season.

With the loss of Shortell that means four of the six tight ends on UConn's 2012 roster will not be returning as John Delahunt, Ryan Griffin and Spencer Parker will graduate or have already graduated. That leaves Sean McQuillan and James Horan as the only returning tight ends.

Two of the three Huskies who were expected to apply for an additional season of eligibility are on the roster. I've been told that defensive end Jesse Joseph was granted a fifth year as was expected while things are looking promising for offensive tackle Jimmy Bennett to receive a sixth season of eligibility. Unfortunately, the news is not as promising for defensive end Teddy Jennings who is appears won't be given another season to play.

There are also some number changes including linebacker Graham Stewart going from No. 24 to 2 and safety Obi Melifonwu switching from No. 30 to No. 20. Early enrollees Dhameer Bradley and Noel Thomas have been given No. 1 and 24 respectively and both are listed as receivers.

UConn's spring practice is set to begin on Mar. 11 while the pro day is Mar. 27.

Finally, with the hiring of T.J. Weist as offensive coordinator and receivers coach and Kermit Buggs as running backs coach and special teams coordinator, next up is for head coach Paul Pasqualoni to name a new defensive coordinator. Rumblings are that defensive line coach Hank Hughes is the top candidate and a hire could be announced by next week at the latest.

Jim Fuller at 9:46 PM"

Jim/NH Register have really stepped up coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom