2013 recruiting ranking reality | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2013 recruiting ranking reality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Troll? Gloss over facts? Haha.

I'm talking the reality that UConn fball recruiting is lousy and has actually gotten worse under PP, using a generic benchmark.

Go dispute all you want, you certainly can't based on the lousy product he's put on the field for 2 years.

UC = 2.48
BC = 2.53 (coaching change)
Cuse = 2.58 (coaching change)
Temple = 2.37 (coaching change)

What does Cincy have anything to do with this?

Reaction Score
UC = UConn in this

It's good everyone is excited, fine, but the raw measure suggests UConn recruiting is still lousy when compared to other BCS teams

What does Cincy have anything to do with this?

Reaction Score
2) Talent at the skill positions:

Boyle, Cochran, maybe Lagow (QB), Marriner, Williams (RB), Gutierrez, Bradley, Thomas, Lemelle (WR), Thompson, Stapleton, Fuchs, Myers (TE).

The most talent we have brought in at the skill positions that I can ever remember. Kids in this group who have other BCS offers, but chose UConn. Not something that occurred nearly as much before. Some of the TEs may end up switching positions but still the best core this program has had in my memory.
This. I have been saying for years that in general at the skill positions we were behind the other programs. You could see it on the field, it was tangible. I dont remember Uconn winning recruiting battles against as many other BCS schools as they did this time. Cant wait to see this group grow.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
On paper this looks to be their best class ever. They certainly got more kids who had offers from more legitimate programs.

Look at the draft picks from 07-12 in the other thread and then explain to me why anyone cares about recruiting rankings? We'll find out who can evaluate, recruit and develop over the next few years.

This class looks like it has some players that may push guys early in their careers. Staff really needs that because if they struggle this year the natives are going to get restless.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
UConn has the 2nd lowest class of all BCS conferences (team that were in in 2012) scored by average recruit rank. Only higher than Temple that had a coaching change.

Almost comical people are excited or think UConn football recruiting has vastly improved. Based on what?

Stars are built on the amount of subscribers. I have heard that a number of times. I know that happens, but you can continue to think what you like. What matters in the big picture is what happens on the field over the next couple of years. The stars are not the end all unless your talking about five stars which there are thirty a year. After that it is all fairly close.

Reaction Score
I think the big thing this year is that we went head to head with other schools and beat them out. Lemelle, Shafenacker, Jasudowich, Marriner, Wright, Hadley, Joseph, Stevens all had multiple BSC offers. Even though Boyle fell into our lap, he had options.

Lemelle was the biggest get for sure.

Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/school/_/id/41

Our class was ranked 72 of 75 on ESPN. BYU, UCF and Minnesota were ranked lower.

OTOH...we have 14 3 star kids this year.

2012: 15 3 star kids
2011: 4 3 star kids
2010: 0 3 star kids
2009: 0 3 star kids
2008: 0 3 star kids
2007: 0 3 star kids
2006: 0 3 star kids

They don't go back any further. So in the PP era we have recruited 29 3 star kids. Prior to PP, 4. How this couldn't be seen as an improvement is beyond me.

Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/school/_/id/41

Our class was ranked 72 of 75 on ESPN. BYU, UCF and Minnesota were ranked lower.

OTOH...we have 14 3 star kids this year.

2012: 15 3 star kids
2011: 4 3 star kids
2010: 0 3 star kids
2009: 0 3 star kids
2008: 0 3 star kids
2007: 0 3 star kids
2006: 0 3 star kids

They don't go back any further. So in the PP era we have recruited 29 3 star kids. Prior to PP, 4. How this couldn't be seen as an improvement is beyond me.

image.jpg

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
its all about:
-positions filled
-other offers
-combine ratings(actual #'s like 40 times)
-camp matchups and reviews
then
-stars/recruiting websits stuff

our stars will go up as our fanbase gets bigger. more subscribers and more clicks. but whats going on right now is we had such a good class that the sites have to give many of our prospects 3* or they had to give them 2* to hold down the overall #. as result each side spread the 2* around trying to not look bad. what u will see in my overall review will surprise u.
the other offers are better than any class before. thats all u need to know. heres a great example. tommy hopkins out local OT recruit. i and others posted here about him for a bit before he committed just thru word of mouth h was on radar but the sites didn't have much. just a profile or a local new paper blog type stuff. he went down to a combine i think it was in nj. he put up good #'s and then on the field he got matched up with some monster dl kid(i think it was a kid from eca ranked very high) and held his own and shocked a lot of ppl. uconn besides the local aspect and all that had its info and offered him. tommy grew up knowing of the uconn brand as we now have been around for 10 years and knew he wanted to play here. somewhere where he can get a good education, strive for the nfla nd family friends can see it etc etc. so he gave us a verbal. he then shut his recruitment pretty much down. didn't need to go hunting for offers or answer all the phone calls etc. some sights decided to read that camps report and rate him 3* becuase they knew he wa clearly a good player. other sites took advantage of the fact that he decided uconn was bes tfor him and wasn't looking else where and called him a 2* kid. sites do this with a lot of our local kids all the time. the exposure here is less and also the amount of teams is less with none being in the b12/sec so the sites use that as a guage to say where the kid ranks. if a kid verbals to uconn but list uconn committed with texas, bama and florida interest, just watch what happens when he gets rated.

in closing, STFU and stop. u have no clue.

Reaction Score
Bro, these are the #s, Inotech style

It is what it is, don't kill the messenger

its all about:
-positions filled
-other offers
-combine ratings(actual #'s like 40 times)
-camp matchups and reviews
then
-stars/recruiting websits stuff

our stars will go up as our fanbase gets bigger. more subscribers and more clicks. but whats going on right now is we had such a good class that the sites have to give many of our prospects 3* or they had to give them 2* to hold down the overall #. as result each side spread the 2* around trying to not look bad. what u will see in my overall review will surprise u.
the other offers are better than any class before. thats all u need to know. heres a great example. tommy hopkins out local OT recruit. i and others posted here about him for a bit before he committed just thru word of mouth h was on radar but the sites didn't have much. just a profile or a local new paper blog type stuff. he went down to a combine i think it was in nj. he put up good #'s and then on the field he got matched up with some monster dl kid(i think it was a kid from eca ranked very high) and held his own and shocked a lot of ppl. uconn besides the local aspect and all that had its info and offered him. tommy grew up knowing of the uconn brand as we now have been around for 10 years and knew he wanted to play here. somewhere where he can get a good education, strive for the nfla nd family friends can see it etc etc. so he gave us a verbal. he then shut his recruitment pretty much down. didn't need to go hunting for offers or answer all the phone calls etc. some sights decided to read that camps report and rate him 3* becuase they knew he wa clearly a good player. other sites took advantage of the fact that he decided uconn was bes tfor him and wasn't looking else where and called him a 2* kid. sites do this with a lot of our local kids all the time. the exposure here is less and also the amount of teams is less with none being in the b12/sec so the sites use that as a guage to say where the kid ranks. if a kid verbals to uconn but list uconn committed with texas, bama and florida interest, just watch what happens when he gets rated.

in closing, STFU and stop. u have no clue.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Bro, these are the #s, Inotech style

It is what it is, don't kill the messenger

yellor stars on a website are not actual stats u clownasz. if u like to look at stars go to disney or sites.

Reaction Score
Go take it up with the editors of Rivals.

UConn fball is at a low level and not improving, tell yourself whatever you want to offset the pain.

yellor stars on a website are not actual stats u clownasz. if u like to look at stars go to disney or sites.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

UConn fball is at a low level and not improving, tell yourself whatever you want to offset the pain.

i can give 2 frucks about rivals. i cna live with or without them in this world. your the 1 coming here judging a class by shiney stars and a website with rankings. do u read the hartford courant and believe what dez connor says about play reports from practices over the summer? he is just as qualified as any employee on the recruiting sites. not ripping dez, just saying into not like tony dungy and bill parcells are the ones rating kids. if any one on those sites was good enough to actually evalute kids they would be a college football coahc on some level, a hs coach or a employee of a tv station talking on the air about the topic.

thye sucker ppl like u who think it matters. its a perception thing and its a war i want to have that others here dont. i honestly think our stars ise lately is a mix of a couple things some in our control as fans and some in uconn footballs control as coaches. but the truth at the end of the line is player stats, potential and other offers are the way to measure a kid. not stars and beat writers. so please, instead of trying to bash uconn players, if your looking for a fight join me in my blue tie crusade.

Reaction Score
UConn has the 2nd lowest class of all BCS conferences (team that were in in 2012) scored by average recruit rank. Only higher than Temple that had a coaching change.

Almost comical people are excited or think UConn football recruiting has vastly improved. Based on what?

Silly post. Again, folks place way too much credence on these recruiting sites. I think this class is solid and it appears we got more of our targets than we have in most, if not any, year. Ultimately, this will get proven out as these kids develop and play over the next few years.

pj

Reaction Score

You proved you were a moron in your first post and now you've proven you're ill-tempered.

Even people who only know how to count up to 3 know we're improving, all they need to do is look at the number of 3* in prior classes. People who know football know we're improving by leaps and bounds, because you can't teach the kind of size and athleticism our recruits have. You can coach up skills and make an athlete into a 5* player. So elite basketball players, decathletes, and 6'6" or 6'7" 300 pound behemoth offensive linemen with agility and wheels even before they come into a college weight program are outstanding recruits.

Dan's point that almost all our guys are rated 3* on one site or other is a good one. There's no consensus that any player is a 2* player, except the late additions Taylor and Boland, maybe Matt Walsh and Tommy Myers are 2* on every site but Matt was Register's CT Player of the Year and has a great football motor, the kind of smashmouth guy every coach wants on his team, and Myers is an outstanding athlete who took up football late and didn't play the camps/recruiting game.

BCS offers are a far better indicator than *s, because coaches are better evaluators than recruiting site scouts and they can't afford to make mistakes in offers or they lose their jobs. The fact that nearly all our players were wanted at other BCS programs has never happened before.

So we'll keep on enjoying UConn football and you should go find some wet blankets you'll feel at home with.

Reaction Score
husky91, there's a feature on this forum called the ignore button. I have a feeling that it will be used extensively with regard to your posting.

Reaction Score
I like the fact that their starting pipelines in states and schools. Look at don bosco nj, (samra), st. aquinas fl (schafenacker), (lagow) plano, best high schools in Texas, Lemelle (pa). bradley came from a great high school team, these are the top teams and leagues in the country. This will pay dividends in the long run. Also to the fact on paper it looks like their bringing in playmakers. I don't think Uconn has ever brought in 2 top 100 wr's in the country before ever. To say recruiting isn't getting better doesn't have a clue how upgrade in playmakers talent can make a big difference come game time. Look at the kid from Maryland (diggs) freshman and you can see what elite talent can do for a program. Amazing to watch that kid with the football, hopefully bradley can do the same here at Uconn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom