2013 recruiting ranking reality | The Boneyard

2013 recruiting ranking reality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn has the 2nd lowest class of all BCS conferences (team that were in in 2012) scored by average recruit rank. Only higher than Temple that had a coaching change.

Almost comical people are excited or think UConn football recruiting has vastly improved. Based on what?

Reaction Score
UConn has the 2nd lowest class of all BCS conferences (team that were in in 2012) scored by average recruit rank. Only higher than Temple that had a coaching change.

Almost comical people are excited or think UConn football recruiting has vastly improved. Based on what?

Who's rankings are you referring to?

Rivals has the class listed as the 64th - one ahead of Kansas State

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/teamrank/2013/all/all

247 has it ranked as #68.

http://247sports.com/Season/2013-Football/CompositeTeamRankings

Scout has it as #60.

http://connecticut.scout.com/a.z?s=342&p=9&c=14&yr=2013

pj

Reaction Score

The 247 composite rankings (http://247sports.com/Season/2013-Football/CompositeTeamRankings) have these schools with a lower average player rating: BYU, SMU, Wake Forest, Temple, BC.

And we are under-rated because we get a lot of athletic basketball players who took up football recently. In this class, Jordan Fuchs, Tommy Myers, some others.

It's a good class. Many players are under-rated. A guy like Josh Marriner is rated two stars but he's a terrific running back with elite speed.

Reaction Score
Instead of doing some research like an intelligent individual, he's just a troll that saw Rivals rank us at the bottom of the Big East and then assume the Big East is the worst BCS conference.....and hence you have second worst of the BCS

Just absolutely trollish

Reaction Score
Look at the actual avg recruit ranking, not the aggregate team rank. The avg recruit rank is the measure of quality of recruits.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
And even aside from that- based on their accomplishments (all state, big 33, all county, etc), based on the schools kids had offers from when they picked UConn- all are solid indicators that, yes, this is UConn's best recruiting class. No one is saying the class compares with Auburn or Ole Miss. But these kids have the foundation of size and athleticism (in my opinion more so than prior classes) to grow in to very good football players.

Reaction Score

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Look at the actual avg recruit ranking, not the aggregate team rank. The avg recruit rank is the measure of quality of recruits.
The avg recruit rank is a way to gloss over facts and troll. Good day.

Reaction Score

By whose numbers? I've seen both BC and Syracuse actual avg recruit ratings below UConn and they are in BCS conferences.

Reaction Score
Troll? Gloss over facts? Haha.

I'm talking the reality that UConn fball recruiting is lousy and has actually gotten worse under PP, using a generic benchmark.

Go dispute all you want, you certainly can't based on the lousy product he's put on the field for 2 years.

UC = 2.48
BC = 2.53 (coaching change)
Cuse = 2.58 (coaching change)
Temple = 2.37 (coaching change)

The avg recruit rank is a way to gloss over facts and troll. Good day.

Reaction Score
What a joke. This posted doesn't add any substance to the argument. But really dude? Can't we just be happy with how the class rounded out and wait to see how these kids develop and perform before we put too much stock in where the class is ranked?

Reaction Score

I'm talking the reality that UConn fball recruiting is lousy and has actually gotten worse under PP, using a generic benchmark.

Go dispute all you want, you certainly can't based on the lousy product he's put on the field for 2 years.

UC = 2.48

That stat is diluted by size of class... UConn is recruting and signing higher rated kids than in previous years.

Reaction Score

UC = 2.48

If I look at nothing but your numbers, the most obvious conclusion to draw from them and them alone is that despite the decades of a head start Syracuse and BC had in developing their football programs, at this point there is no statistically meaningful advantage left.

Have a nice day.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

UC = 2.48
If you read about our class (http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/020613aaa.html), read about the classes that the other three schools pulled, and conclude that theirs are better... You truly are the worst evaluator of talent on earth.

Reaction Score

based on a few things: 1) Higher Rated Classes than before.

Rivals Team Rank: 2013: #64, 2012 #77, 2011 # 101, 2010 # 83
Scout Team Rank: 2013 # 66, 2012 # 66, 2011 # 81, 2010 # 69

For services has this class as the best Uconn class in the last 4 years (I could have looked farther, but thought 4 years was enough). Didn't check ESPN or 24/7 because they have not been in the business as long and wouldn't get sufficient info.

2) Talent at the skill positions:

Boyle, Cochran, maybe Lagow (QB), Marriner, Williams (RB), Gutierrez, Bradley, Thomas, Lemelle (WR), Thompson, Stapleton, Fuchs, Myers (TE).

The most talent we have brought in at the skill positions that I can ever remember. Kids in this group who have other BCS offers, but chose UConn. Not something that occurred nearly as much before. Some of the TEs may end up switching positions but still the best core this program has had in my memory.

3) Keeping the local kids home.

Successful programs are able to keep talent from leaving the state. Of course they cannot keep all of it, but still Uconn signed the #2, 4, 5, 9, 10 players in the state in this previous recruiting class. Last year, Uconn signed the #1, and #4 player.

The rivals rankings (used here) only list CT players back to 2008. Uconn did not sign a top 5 player in the state until 2011 (#4). The previous two years they have signed 5 of them. Uconn is getting better local talent to stay in CT.

Reaction Score

If you try looking a little deeper than the simplest measurement available you'll see the improvement we've had in our classes over the last few years. If you don't want to put any effort into your evaluations then you're entitled to think whatever you want, but it's not an intelligent analysis.

Since you seem intent on not thinking let me put it this way. If Ohio State had a class made up of 20 4 star kids and 3 5 star kids they have an average rating of 4.13. If on signing day Urban Meyer finds a 2 star kid he really likes and adds him, did his class just get worse? By your simpleton measures the average grade went from 4.13 to 4.04, but in the real world, he improved his class because he added a kid that he liked. And if you've ever watched a college football game you'd also know that the 2 star kid could end up the best of the class.

Reaction Score
Anyone who knows anything about UConn's recruiting knows this is the best class we've ever had.

To respond to the uneducated only wastes our time. Enough of that has been done over the last few days.

For a supposed UConn fan to create such a thread begs the question....what ax does he have to grind and is it personal with PP?

I'm not a big fan of PP but this class is very much the best we've had.

Reaction Score
Anyone who knows anything about UConn's recruiting knows this is the best class we've ever had.

To respond to the uneducated only wastes our time. Enough of that has been done over the last few days.

For a supposed UConn fan to create such a thread begs the question....what ax does he have to grind and is it personal with PP?

I'm not a big fan of PP but this class is very much the best we've had.

Agree on all counts.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure that Kivon and Boland weren't even rated and they were given 5.2's on signing day because they signed with a big program. I doubt the guys at Rivals even saw more than a minute of tape on those guys. This brought our avg. down not to mention the size of the class dilutes it too. We had to add depth though. Only a novice, uninformed, troll would consider this not one of if not our best recruiting class.

Reaction Score
The 247 composite rankings (http://247sports.com/Season/2013-Football/CompositeTeamRankings) have these schools with a lower average player rating: BYU, SMU, Wake Forest, Temple, BC.

And we are under-rated because we get a lot of athletic basketball players who took up football recently. In this class, Jordan Fuchs, Tommy Myers, some others.

It's a good class. Many players are under-rated. A guy like Josh Marriner is rated two stars but he's a terrific running back with elite speed.

Yes, the OP was a little harsh in his/her tone and rankings aren't worth much but for perception - - that said, we still finished in the bottom 10 of all BCS plus Indy teams in the Rivals and 247 rankings and 11th from the bottom in Scout. I'm not including the new NBE additions.

Reaction Score
I am merely stating that using an independent service (Rivals) UConn's avg recruit ranking is 2nd lowest among all BCS teams yet we have heard how great of a class we have this year.

I guess the expectations are so low that this is a positive.

The overall team rankings are strictly a volume count, not a quality one.

I think PP is awful and nothing he has done has proven otherwise.

pj

Reaction Score
The class closed strong. Neglecting the last minute signings of Taylor and Boland, commits after Jan 1 were: Jalen Stevens 3* DE; Chasz Wright 3* OT; Cory Jasudowich 3* LB; Jordan Fuchs 3* TE; Junior Joseph 3* LB; Brian Lemelle 3* WR; Tim Boyle 3* QB; Chris Britton 3* LB. Those are 247sports rankings. January commits averaged 3.0 stars.

The average was pulled down by Don Brown mailing in the recruiting year on the defensive side and only offering 2* players. Once he left, and Weist was hired on offense, recruiting picked up steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom