2012 Roster -- Quarterbacks | The Boneyard

2012 Roster -- Quarterbacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sorry for the delay, but work interferes. Time to get to the heart of the matter and discuss our QBs. Unfortunately for the team, but fortunately to save time, this discussion is easier than it looked like it would be a month ago.

QB play has held this program back from the moment Dan Orlovsky graduated. We had competent, in the range of conference average, QB play in '07 under Tyler and '09 behind Endres and Frazer. But that's been it. We've been at or very close to the bottom of the league in QB play in '05, '06, '08, '10 and '11. Frankly, it is remarkable that we have had the success we've had with the QB play we've had. Will it get better this year? Well, if it does it will be because of the group below.

The job belongs to Cody Whitmer, the RS Soph Juco transfer. Originally recruited by Illinois, lost the job to a good QB, had a good year, but with too many picks, in JUCO and is now here. Had a very good spring game but for (here it is again ) interceptions. Hopes are high. We'll have to see.

Johnny McEntee, now a RS Sr. walk-on from CA, is now the back up. We've covered last year extensively, and there is no need to beat the young man up again. I still think he throws it well enough to be a productive QB, but whether the footwork, decision making and other tools improved -- who knows. Assuming that he learned from last year, he should be a competent backup if needed. But if we need him too much ....

Scott McCummings, now a RS Soph, is back. It is not clear to anyone if McCummings is, or ever will be, ready to be an every down QB -- he missed badly some stunningly easy, open throws last year -- but there is no question that he was a terrific weapon in a wildcat offense last year and played a significant role in us getting to 3-4 in conference after the horrid OOC start. The Syracuse game, he was simply unstoppable. There is no reason to think he can't be improved this year, with everyone being more familiar with the offense, but what we don't know is whether we'll use the wildcat more or less. Presumably, if Whitmer is effective, it will be less. Note that there have also been reports that Michael Smith and Kamal Abrams, who was a high school QB, got snaps as the wildcat QB while McCummings was out of camp.

Casey Cochrane's injury makes it highly unlikely that he will take the redshirt off this year, so we can save a longer discussion about him for another time. Additional depth is provided by walk-ons Driscoll, who has at least had time to learn about our system, and the newcomer Leu.

The play of Cody Whitmer, and the ability to get something out of McCummings and the wildcat if we finally have a QB we can count on, will, obviously, play a large role in how well we do this year. I'll say it again as we get to the start of the season, but I still believe that if we get Big East average QB play we can content for the conference title and the Sugar Bowl bid.

Reaction Score
I still believe that if we get Big East average QB play we can content for the conference title and the Sugar Bowl bid.
Nice job. Agree with that conclusion too. I think the time since that game has probably helped the skill players absorb the playbook a little better. I look for good things on both sides of the ball this year.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the write up.

I've been to the two open practices, I can confirm that McEentee's footwork has not improved. Not trying to get on him but I just didn't see any improvement leading up to him passing the ball.

McCummings is interesting. At last year's open practice he had a noticeable ugly hitch in is throwing motion, that hitch was not evident on Tuesday. He looked much more accurate throwing the ball during the drills and he does have a cannon and an NFL QB physique. When play went "live" against the defense he was still wild on his throws, but I think there is hope for a better throwing version of Scott McCummings this year. He is just a Sophomore. I think he has the potential to emerge as the full time starter (another TL) at some point in the future, and could be more than the Wildcat guy this year of something were to happen to Chandler Endres.

Make Whitmer earn his full name, I like it. He has to show us something in a real game.

Reactions: pj

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
javon williams has been taking some wildcat snaps. bobby puyol was a hs qb as well as kicker. how many years did we go without a trick play? just throwing that out there...

good job bl.

Reaction Score
javon williams has been taking some wildcat snaps. bobby puyol was a hs qb as well as kicker. how many years did we go without a trick play? just throwing that out there...

good job bl.

Jhavon Williams and Michael Smith both wear "6". There might be some confusion as to which one is taking wildcat snaps. Maybe they both are.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I think that Crispin Whitmer is going to have a solid year, also.

I've always felt that a QB needs to feel like he is in a rhythm to excel at the craft. As much as I think that McCummings was very good in the wildcat last year, I really don't like what the in-and-out does to the "throwing QB" when he comes in for 1 or 2 downs every set. I think I would much prefer it if Whitmer is allowed to be a 3-down guy every set until he shows that he can't be. (of course, I say that now, and then I'll be the first one to yell loud enough to annoy my neighbors if McCummings breaks off a 40-yard run out of the wildcat) That's just my two cents, anyway...

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Jhavon Williams and Michael Smith both wear "6". There might be some confusion as to which one is taking wildcat snaps. Maybe they both are.
hmm good point. makes sense.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Give him a break. He did get Lorenzen's name right because he just went with Tyler :)

Reaction Score
Thanks Biz.

We'll br better at QB this season. How much better and how injury free we stay on the OL will ultimately dictate how the season goes.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the write up.

Make Whitmer earn his full name, I like it. He has to show us something in a real game.
I agree with BL's analysis and I think we'll see something this year. Calvin Whitmer is going to be a major upgrade I think. As I wrote earlier on some qb thread, while I'd rather not have any INTs, without knowing the details its hard to know what they mean. A desperate 50 yard heave at the end of a half is an INT but not the same as a throw into the linebacker's gut at your own 15. And I liked the fact that after throwing one in the Blue-White, he came out in his next series and threw the ball well and drove for a touchdown.

Reaction Score
at least he hopefully won't "throw" any INTs in our own end zone. as much as TOs are a pain in the ass, if we can effectively move the ball otherwise i can live with them. when you're only putting together 250 yards of offense they're game killers but i think we'll be moving the ball 400-450 yards a game this year, and i think our defense will get enough TOs of their own that we can live with 12-18 INTs this season

Reaction Score
Sugar Bowl! That's what I'm talking about. Otherwise, why play?

I loved how fast the ball came out of Casandra Whitmer's hand. Very decisive. And I expect his confidence to grow after he plays a bit.

The INTs are okay with me if they are throw in confidence and he scores a bunch of TDs. Our defense can bail him out of trouble if he throws INTs but if he doesn't put up points, it won't matter what our defense does. I am aware this runs counter to the convention wisdom.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the write up.

I've been to the two open practices, I can confirm that McEentee's footwork has not improved. Not trying to get on him but I just didn't see any improvement leading up to him passing the ball.

McCummings is interesting. At last year's open practice he had a noticeable ugly hitch in is throwing motion, that hitch was not evident on Tuesday. He looked much more accurate throwing the ball during the drills and he does have a cannon and an NFL QB physique. When play went "live" against the defense he was still wild on his throws, but I think there is hope for a better throwing version of Scott McCummings this year. He is just a Sophomore. I think he has the potential to emerge as the full time starter (another TL) at some point in the future, and could be more than the Wildcat guy this year of something were to happen to Chandler Endres.

For the MD game he Cal (Ripken) Whitmer.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Competent QB play by Chris Whitmer will be huge this year. It makes McCombs life easier and it helps to the defense off the field (or maybe not if he's putting it in the end zone;)) . I'm excited about the prospect of an pro offense. It is more fun, especially for the casual fan, to watch. Still, the New Englander in me is hesitant to start naming bowl locations just yet. Might want to wait until a snap or two before we start that.

Thanks for write up BL.

pj

Reaction Score
at least he hopefully won't "throw" any INTs in our own end zone. as much as TOs are a pain in the ass, if we can effectively move the ball otherwise i can live with them. when you're only putting together 250 yards of offense they're game killers but i think we'll be moving the ball 400-450 yards a game this year, and i think our defense will get enough TOs of their own that we can live with 12-18 INTs this season

If we get 400+ yards per game, we will be in the Sugar Bowl. Only one team, Houston, had more than 400 ypg last year (http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/passing). They went 13-1. For a BCS conference team to do that would be remarkable.

Reaction Score
The most important thing I'm looking for from Charlie Whitman in two weeks is that the guy takes the offense over the goal line. Many times. Maybe then, the sticker can come off the front off the helmet.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I'd be thrilled with TL level play from CW. I doubt he'll play well enough to offset a high turnover rate.

When it comes to our QB's, taking care of the ball is job 1 and job 2. Hitting wide open targets is 3rd with exciting QB play a distant fourth.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
I think Chester Whitfield would tell us all that the last selection of BCS teams this year is the Orange Bowl again, not the Sugar Bowl, and that he will be leading our team to victory in Miami at the end of the season. Otherwise, good stuff BL.

January 2013 games: Fiesta, Sugar, Orange

Reaction Score
I've heard that Whitmer looks WAY better than he did in the spring and it wasn't even close between him and MN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom