2012 Roster -- Linebackers | The Boneyard

2012 Roster -- Linebackers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sorry to all that I'm running behind on this. On vacation and internet time has been taken up with work. In any event, will try to be done by the end of the weekend.

The defense is left to cover, and I'm starting with Linebackers, mostly because of how excited I am about the unit. Why? Well, for starters all three starters are back. Sio Moore is back as a RS Senior and third year as a starter. Sio burst onto the scene playing a key role in our run to the Fiesta in 2010. Last year, he played what looked to be the same position on the weakside, but he played it entirely differently. He was great runstopping and blitzing, but was asked to spend far more time guarding slot receivers and RBs coming out of the backfield and, frankly, struggled. If he gets the new schemes, and his new role, there is no reason he can't have a monster year. In the middle, Yawin Smallwood from Worcester returns for his RS Sophomore Year. He started as a Frosh last year, also was great against the run, and showed good athletic ability but not great positioning on pass defense. Again, I expect a huge, huge improvement from him as he learns from his year starting. Jory Johnson also returns as a Rs Sr. Jory started all last year and part of each of the two years before that (each time Scott Lutrus got hurt). I don't think Johnson is the athlete, or has the big play ability, that Moore and Smallwood have, but he's solid and experienced and should be better with more understanding of Don Brown's ways.

Last year, behind the three starters, we saw a tiny bit of Jerome Williams but none (except pure mop-up) from the other backups -- Opoku, Kenney and Osiecki. Williams and Opoku transferred out, Osiecki moved to FB and Kenney is still there but doesn't figure in the two deep at LB. But, the depth at LB seems to be much, much better. Donohue, who played as a backup for Don Brown at Maryland and followed him here, has now sit out his year and has two years of eligibility left. In the preseason depth chart, he was an "or" with Jory Johnson. Vann and Ashiru were both listed as backups for the first half or so of last year, but kept their redshirts on when the LBs stayed healthy and for now will play at least on specials, and presumably will compete for starting roles next year when Sio and Johnson graduate. Nothing but good things has been heard about them yet. If we're to believe what we hear, we may see six LBs play this year. Personally, I don't expect that (barring injury) but the fact that the coaches talk about them all being ready can only help.

Depth behind the two deep is provided by Kenney, now a RS Jr. who could also play Safety, Brandon Steg, the RS Soph in the middle, and true frosh (presumably all redshirting) Hicks, Vinci and Stephens. Graham Stewart, the Xavier -- Middletown player who started his career in Florida, will be sitting out this year before joining the party with three years of eligibility left next fall.

So, with three starters back and much more quality depth, the play from this unit can only be improved. Last year, it was great against the run and not nearly good enough against the pass. This year, second year in the new system, hopefully it's consistently great. I think it can be.

Reaction Score
Good write-up, as always. This linebacker core gets me pumped. Sio was surrounded with youth, a defense having growing pains, and lack of breather last. I think he will have a monster year and we will see him reverting back to the form we came to love in 2010.

Reaction Score
Im hoping someone earns the right to start over Jory to be honest. He is fundamentally sound but his lack of athleticism was at times a killer. He especially struggled covering backs out the backfield on wheel routes. Even if he doesn start I think he will be a valuable asset to the defense.

Reaction Score
two words. Ass. kickers. (assuming everyone stays healthy)
EDIT: Vann will make a major contrib this year too

Reaction Score
Last year seemed in too many situations the Lb's were caught in no mans land, not dropping enough to cover passes and not get a legit pass rush. Rather than playing at football speed, seemed to be unsure of what to do. 2nd year in this defense should help here, especially against unusual offensive sets and during really aggressive defensive calls.
Don't see 3 linebacker set being able to handle any 4 wide out sets, not sure how you substitute to match up but need to be able to get a fifth back in rather than putting Sio out there on someone he can't cover (or defensive play where he has to cover other than a TE). Lutrus seemed to be able to drop and cover better than most, not sure any of these guys have that capability.

Reaction Score
All of the LB's have commented that their greater familiarity and comfort with the D system has made them all quicker in their reactions and faster in their pursuit. Look for lots of mayhem from this group!

Reaction Score
Nice write-up Biz.

Lot of respect of Jory. For four years he's been an after thought in some very good backer corps and all he does is play solid football. I would not bet against him having a big year.

When all is said and done, Smallwood may be the best we've ever had at the position given the athlete he is.

Reaction Score
Last year seemed in too many situations the Lb's were caught in no mans land, not dropping enough to cover passes and not get a legit pass rush. Rather than playing at football speed, seemed to be unsure of what to do. 2nd year in this defense should help here, especially against unusual offensive sets and during really aggressive defensive calls.
Don't see 3 linebacker set being able to handle any 4 wide out sets, not sure how you substitute to match up but need to be able to get a fifth back in rather than putting Sio out there on someone he can't cover (or defensive play where he has to cover other than a TE). Lutrus seemed to be able to drop and cover better than most, not sure any of these guys have that capability.

don't forget about Lawrence Wilson. he was great against the pass. i think Smallwood will be fine against the pass, but i agree with you we might have some trouble against 4 WR sets. we just have to hope our LBs can blow the play up before they can run their routes. i'm really getting pumped to watch these guys because i think they're going to be a wrecking crew

Reaction Score
How many passes did Smallwood knock down at the line last year. I bet more than 5. He will be a monster this year.

Reaction Score
One thing to keep in mind is that this defense works when everyone does their job. The LBs looked bad in spots in pass coverage because they were handing people off to people that were out of position. Improved secondary play will make the LB corp look 1000% better.

Reaction Score
Who on our D has a mean streak? Someone who intimidates, creates an attitude, and backs it up? Someone like a Danny Lansannah or Deleston. Does Sio play this role?

I think we need this element in our D. Maybe Don Brown fills this role - I see attitude and swagger in him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom