2012 Roster -- Defensive Backs | The Boneyard

2012 Roster -- Defensive Backs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
All that is left is the Defensive Backs so we will review them now, and then I will try to do my pre-season analysis and prediction tomorrow. (And then figure out what I'm preparing for my tailgate.)

As with the Linebackers, it is easy to assume that Defensive Backs will be stronger. Why? Well, because we return all 4 starters. Yes, we lost Seniors Harris Agbor and Gary Wilburn, and Jerome Junior transferred out, and all of them started at some point last season, But the four best guys -- the four guys who would have been on the field at the end of last year with everyone healthy (at least in my view) are all back.

At Corner, Blidi Wreh-Wdilson returns as a RS Sr. for his fourth year as a starter. Blidi missed a chunk of last year with an injury, and we missed him huge when he was out, but if healthy he should be as good as anyone in the conference. Opposite him is Dwayne Gratz, the redshirt Senior from New Jersey in his 3rd year as a starter. Dwayne did not have quite the year I expected him to have last year, and didn't step up as I would have hoped with Blidi out, but is a good CB and an excellent CB at supporting the run (in the manner Tyvon Branch was). I am hoping we have a season from him equal to what I expect out of Blidi. Behind them is a mystery. While Gary Wilburn just got victimized beyond belief when Blidi went down, Taylor Mack, who showed promise playing as a true frosh, stayed nailed to the bench. Now a true Jr., he will back up one side while Stevenson, the RS Frosh, will back up the other. Hopefully one steps up at least in the nickel. Behind them are the RS Frosh Clark, the true frosh Williams and the walk-on Kantor who we have seen get on the field on special teams.

At safety, both Byron Jones and Tymeer Brown had ups and downs last year but as frosh earning their spots as the season wore on that was to be expected. Hopefully we see continued improvement for both. Apparently they will be backed up by Gil Stlouis and Adams, with Lee presumably in the mix as well. Behind those five are three true frosh, Floyd, Melinfonwu and Marder, and one walk on.

So Safety play is a bit of a question, but should be improved over last year, and CB play will hopefully be outstanding. This unit should be better, and should help lead the D to what is a strong bounceback year, especiallly against the pass.

pj

Reaction Score
Barring injury, it looks like a very promising group. I expect a big jump from the safeties and nickel corner. Hopefully we can get the backup corners good experience in preparation for next year. It would be nice to have some blowouts to permit that.

Reaction Score
i'm excited about our CBs because we have about as much experience as is possible starting and they're backed up by very talented young guys. what more can you want? i thought Stevenson looked great in the Spring game and from day one Mack has come off as extremely athletic. safeties should be improved from last year. overall i guess safeties are probably the weakest part of our defense, but i think they'll be fine.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Just looking for Gratz to be more consisten among this group. He obviously has the potential and I would completely agree with respect to his run support but sometimes he just seems to have mental lapses which is someone you really cannot afford at this position.

Really looking forward to what our two safeties can do in Year 2. Could be special.

Reaction Score
They need to be as advertised since they'll be facing better offenses, more experienced QB's and faster receivers than last year. (Miles Shuler of Rutgers is one of the fastest players in all of college football and, even without Sanu, their passing attack could be lethal.)
Fourth quarter conditioning, and our ability to sustain drives on offense will go a long way in giving us a competitive edge in what is increasingly a game of having your best players fresh when it counts.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Just looking for Gratz to be more consisten among this group. He obviously has the potential and I would completely agree with respect to his run support but sometimes he just seems to have mental lapses which is someone you really cannot afford at this position.

Judiciously stated and I agree. He just might be the key as teams may avoid Wilson. We need Gratz to be solid this year

Reaction Score
BL - thanks for taking the time to go through each unit of the team with your insights. I'm sure it's a time consuming thing, and there are many readers here, including me, that greatly appreciate it.

I really don't have much too add on anything at this point, shocking I know, I'm just excited to see it all out on the field in a couple days.

Reaction Score
Yes, could be. I also think Lee comes into the picture eventually and given his size could be a thumper.

Reaction Score
Gratz needs to be solid or he will lose his job.

Gratz is solid. I don't know why people thought he did poor last year, I thought he was servicable and did a fine job despite not having a consistent pass rush. I don't think that any of the backups on the two deep are any where near as good as Gratz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom