2004 Most Talented Roster Ever | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2004 Most Talented Roster Ever

Reaction Score
True, if Tyus Edney doesn't go the length of the court against Mizzou and or if we play UCLA on a neutral court we are probably cutting down our first net. We got screwed so many times playing road NCAA games, that's why it was so nice playing at MSG in '14.
It really was ridiculous for a while. Like in 98 when we had to play UNC in Greensboro. That was a complete home game for them, that could have easily gone in our favor on a neutral court.

Reaction Score
My recollection of 2004 was that they were so talented, that they got lazy at times during the year. That lead to a few upset losses.

Contrast to 1999, which had a spectacular regular season, but which had to work a little harder.
But remember also a major factor in 04` was ok4 having back issues but got healthy and Shad getting into the starting lineup later in the year and it started to come together. Once the big east tourney started that team was all business. Although i think they did get a bit lazy against Gtech in the championship game and JC taking his foot off the peddle allowed that game to have a much closer score at the end. We all know that game couldve ended with us winning by 30 rather easily.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It really was ridiculous for a while. Like in 98 when we had to play UNC in Greensboro. That was a complete home game for them, that could have easily gone in our favor on a neutral court.
FL in FL, TX in TX, NC in NC, UCLA in CA and MD in DC off the top of my head.

Reaction Score

We've had a lot of bad luck in that regard.

We played in Cincinnati when Ohio State bounced us in 92
We played in Miami when Florida bounced us in 94
We played in Oakland when UCLA bounced us in 95
We played in Greensboro when UNC bounced us in 98
We played in San Antonio when Texas bounced us in 03
We played in DC when George Mason bounced us in 06 (less being screwed, but GM is like 10 mi)
We played in Detroit when Michigan State bounced us at the Final Four in 09

We've even had virtual home games against Tennessee in 00 in Birmingham and Kansas in 16 in Iowa...

Or we're getting SCREWED~!

Although we've had regionals in NJ, Syracuse and MSG... but yeah.

Reaction Score
We've had a lot of bad luck in that regard.

We played in Cincinnati when Ohio State bounced us in 92
We played in Miami when Florida bounced us in 94
We played in Oakland when UCLA bounced us in 95
We played in Greensboro when UNC bounced us in 98
We played in San Antonio when Texas bounced us in 03
We played in DC when George Mason bounced us in 06 (less being screwed, but GM is like 10 mi)
We played in Detroit when Michigan State bounced us at the Final Four in 09

We've even had virtual home games against Tennessee in 00 in Birmingham and Kansas in 16 in Iowa...

Or we're getting SCREWED~!

Although we've had regionals in NJ, Syracuse and MSG... but yeah.
Thanks for the list, I completely forgot about the 09 MSU home game, ugh.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the list, I completely forgot about the 09 MSU home game, ugh.

Some of it is bad luck.

'94 was kind of crap. We should have been a #1 seed out West, but we face planted against Providence, and then it's also hard for me to get angry when we basically choked a slam dunk Final Four appearance away when the team we were facing and the rest of the region rolled out the red carpet for us.

'95 surprised me not that we were a #2 seed, but that they stuck us in a region with UCLA and put UMass out east. It did no favors to us - and honestly didn't do favors to UCLA, either.

'98 I don't cry an ounce about. UNC was the #1 seed - they got the draw they deserved to get. Had less to do with us and more to do with them.

'06 and '09 were also bad luck. I mean no one was counting on George Mason in an Elite 8 and the Final Four is just where the Final Four is... North Carolina had to play them in Detroit, too.

So it's a mix of everything. '95 is kinda the one that always stuck in my craw. UMass really wasn't good enough to justify a #2 seed in the east and they also stuck Villanova out there as a #3 a a reward for winning the conf. tournament. We really should have been out east - especially with Wake Forest being by far the weakest #1 seed. I just thought the committee did a bad job of seeding. Don't forget, we also had Maryland and Oregon in our end of the bracket. Texas was a freaking #11 seed... Mizzou, Utah, Indiana.... not an easy bracket for anyone and UCLA was freaking #1 in the country. Then they stuck us and them in the same group together...

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
'95 really hurt. The 06 team had the talent to win it all but I think most of the guys checked out and were draft dreaming. The 04 team was stacked and had the most talent, IMO. 99 team had talent but lets face it, they were on a mission and no one was going to stop them. 09 was peaking at the right time until Dyson was hurt. 14 was better than 11 but Kemba was indomitable. People still talk about Danny Manning and Kansas but what Kemba did in 11 trumps that, IMO.

Good times. Man we had some great teams to watch, didn't we?

Reaction Score
'95 really hurt. The 06 team had the talent to win it all but I think most of the guys checked out and were draft dreaming. The 04 team was stacked and had the most talent, IMO. 99 team had talent but lets face it, they were on a mission and no one was going to stop them. 09 was peaking at the right time until Dyson was hurt. 14 was better than 11 but Kemba was indomitable. People still talk about Danny Manning and Kansas but what Kemba did in 11 trumps that, IMO.

Think I'd take the 14 team over the 11 team if they played, just on matchup alone.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
94 had the most guys who stuck in the NBA. That's the most "talented" team.
'04 was the best team but '99 beats all of them if they actually played.

Reaction Score
Think I'd take the 14 team over the 11 team if they played, just on matchup alone.
I think the 2011 team works the 2014 team. 2011 had more size and athleticism and also the best player in that matchup. The toughness of AO and Roscoe inside and defensively would be a big factor, imo.

Reaction Score
You don’t get how much better college basketball teams were in 1990 than they were in 2009.

It’s good that you do realize winning the BET is better than losing in the quarterfinals.

Some people seem to have taken up the 09 team’s cause because they like to play what if with the Dyson injury. They can play pretend that the FF loss to MSU wasn’t as miserable as it was.

Even giving 09 every benefit of the doubt I don’t see anyway to conclude that the roster was better than 99, 04 or 06.

Not only do 99 and 04 immediately look better on paper... they actually... you know... won.

Hey, I’m the one that says the 09’ team was playing the best I’ve ever seen a UConn team play before Dyson went down. However, I am not saying it was our best team ever. I’ll take 99’ on that.

Reaction Score
I think the 2011 team works the 2014 team. 2011 had more size and athleticism and also the best player in that matchup. The toughness of AO and Roscoe inside and defensively would be a big factor, imo.

The 14 team dealt with size very well in the tourney, AO would have gotten his boards but don't think he'd be that much of a scoring presence. Roscoe doesn't really move the needle much in that game IMO. Kemba is for sure the best player in that game but Boat is one of the 2-3 best we've ever had defensively at guard and you can make the case that, after Kemba, the 14 team has the next 4 best players in that game. I also think the 14 team had a much tougher road in their tourney run than the 11 team.

Reaction Score
I like Bazz as much as Kemba in a title game. Kemba was better in some ways, but Bazz had the “right in your face 3 ball” to stop runs, save us with the shot clock running down and blow games open. I seriously don’t know who I’d choose if I had the choice.

Reaction Score

The 06 team gets killed but George Mason played out of their heads that second half and executed almost perfectly. They shot 50% for the game, including 9-18 from three. We would have beaten them 9 out of 10 times, unfortunately that night was the one out of ten.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom