#2 Oregon lost to UCLA | Page 2 | The Boneyard

#2 Oregon lost to UCLA

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Beaver hit squad? That's bold. I provided video for others to "judge for themselves"
I'm referring to the folks at Benny's House.

Reaction Score
Thanks. Honestly it looked like a push to me even though Plebe says it was not. And then throwing the water bottle, not a good look.
I have to agree... in the video, SI's left arm goes out toward Gildon in a "push" motion and Gildon's left shoulder clearly moves back. Either SI made contact in an angry push or Gildon "dodged" it... either way, it looks like it took place. Really competitive athletes sometimes lose control...i.e., the water bottle toss...not unlike a MLB player "slamming" his batting helmet down in the dugout after making an out in an important point in a tight ball game. I am not saying it's "right" or "acceptable"...but it happens and is a venting moment. SI got caught on camera...which made it available to criticize.

Reaction Score
Wow, the Beaver hit squad is all over it, huh.

Again, where is the push? She flails her arm in disgust in Gildon's direction, yes. It was a really, really bad look, and she should have controlled her emotions. But it's not even clear to me that she made any contact with Gildon, much less "pushed" her.

Clearly you won't be convinced, but there were two different angles of the event on the telecast showing the Burke rebound. She definitely made contact with Gildon's arm and the angle under the basket also showed Gildon's arm in motion after the contact. I also agree it sounded worse than it looked but maybe that was Ionescu's controlling of her emotions.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Most Boneyard devotees agree that there are six teams--UConn, Baylor, Oregon, Louisville, Notre Dame and Mississippi State--in serious national championship contention...and then a drop-off after that. So earning a No. 1 or No. 2 overall seed should mean that the top two seeds won't have to face any of the other members of the NC Six-Pack in the regionals. That's a big deal, isn't it?

Of course, as Plebe and others have pointed out, the 1 vs. 8 and 2 vs. 7 bracketing is theoretical and the Committee may consider other factors in assigning teams to different brackets.

But I'm hoping UConn maintains its top two ranking and that the Committee honors that effort by assigning the No. 7 or No. 8 overall seed to Albany. Wishful thinking?

Reaction Score
So does ND get a pass on the two loses with Young out too?
I think the committee looks at injuries a bit but not in the complete pass range when considering the top end of the field . UCLA is a bad loss as was MSU and as were UNC and Miami for ND

I agree totally. My comment was about how the committee will see it.

Under the current system team A beats team C by 50 points. Then team B beats team C in triple OT by 1. Both teams A & B get exactly the same credit. Or the opposite. Team A loses to C in triple OT. Team B loses to C by 50. Are these 2 losses equivalent? As long as the formula only sees games as wins and losses the rankings will be distorted. There are good losses and bad wins but the quality of play is never a factor in making the 64 or in seeding.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Clearly you won't be convinced, but there were two different angles of the event on the telecast showing the Burke rebound. She definitely made contact with Gildon's arm and the angle under the basket also showed Gildon's arm in motion after the contact. I also agree it sounded worse than it looked but maybe that was Ionescu's controlling of her emotions.
You may be right. When I was watching it live I replayed it 2 or 3 times trying to see if she'd actually pushed her, and I really couldn't tell for sure. Ultimately, whether it was a push or not, it's definitely a low moment for Sabrina. Let's hope it's a learning moment, and I hope that she made amends with her teammate afterwards.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom