$2 Beer night… what a joke | Page 4 | The Boneyard

$2 Beer night… what a joke

Reaction Score
Hartford Line service has already cut massively into freight availability. Can't run later without significantly hurting an already strained freight situation. Could they and should they make it work for event nights? Absolutely, but it's not as easy as flipping a switch. May also get better as the Hartford Line gets more double-tracking, of which the next phase is happening shortly.
They did that for north/south portion of Brightline passenger service in Florida. They added another set of tracks from Cocoa south where the freights run on the Florida East Coast Railway and now share tracks with Brightline. Took multiple years but that distance is 180 miles or so. The east/west portion of Brightline from Orlando east is all new tracks until it reaches Cocoa.

Reaction Score
Not sure if there is a transportation thread, but there are a few of us who post in the beer thread. The more, the merrier….

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Train travel rules.

I took my first longer-ish distance Amtrak trip in 2022 when I had to take the train from Stamford to Baltimore for an educational conference. Such a relaxing experience and it was fun being able to get around without even thinking about parking.

I'll take the same trip this summer as the Yankees will be in Baltimore the same weekend as my birthday. Never been to a game at Camden Yards, so can't wait for that and even though I was there for work, Baltimore became one of my favorite American cities.
Amtrak is great. Used to take it from Stamford to Philly all the time and loved it. Metro-North was pretty good for day to day commuting but would be late all the time which was aggravating esp when I had to be somewhere. But the trade off of not having to sit on I95 or the Merritt for an hour and a half to drive 20 miles was worth it.

Reaction Score
Amtrak is great. Used to take it from Stamford to Philly all the time and loved it. Metro-North was pretty good for day to day commuting but would be late all the time which was aggravating esp when I had to be somewhere. But the trade off of not having to sit on I95 or the Merritt for an hour and a half to drive 20 miles was worth it.
Acela from Stamford to DC, Wilmington, Philly, PVD, Boston is a no-brainer. Beats the hassle and stress of driving or flying every single time.

Reaction Score
I live in WeHa and am within walking distance of 2 fastrack stations
I could take the Troutbrook trail, which is about 20 minutes by bike from my house to the Elmwood station but obviously that’s not within walking distance. I spent many years taking the 72 just to avoid the aggravation before work, and after work my point is other than the fortunate few like you, there is a great inconvenience to taking so-called mass transit in Connecticut. My son commuted several months from home to Stamford. . The morning was OK on Amtrak, but because of his schedule he could not take Metro North and Ct Rail home. He was dependent on Amtrak, which was real unreliable. Several times I had to pick him up in New Haven because of Connecticut rail schedule

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I usually get into Hartford by 5 PM, so parking is easy and cheap (street parking and the parking meter is usually about a dollar).

Timing is usually the key and I suspect the root of most complaints for the meltdown following the DePaul game.

I have season tickets for football, but only go to a few basketball games per year (This year, they happen to be the first two home games of 2024). As such, I treat those few games games as I do football Saturdays. As events and I am typically able to get a couple hours off at the end of a workday, if need be. Maybe some season ticket holders feel comfortable cutting it more close to tip off, but I think the flipside is to accept that some games will not go as as smooth as others.

Vs. DePaul, my son (11 y.o.) and I arrived on campus and parked in one of the many spots on the first level of the North Garage, as Gampel was opening its doors, but with not particularly wanting stadium food for dinner, went trekked to Blaze. We still got into the arena for the National Anthem. Afterward, the walk back to the garage took longer than getting out.

Same for Sunday. We got into Hartford at 10:30 and parked in our usual lot ($10), met my friends at Urban Lodge, and entered the arena as the rockets were glaring red. We went to Agave afterward, but was back home, and walked the dogs before the 4:30 playoff game.

Reaction Score
My only issue was Amtrak on the Saturday after Thanksgiving years ago. I had roundtrip ticket from Hartford to Stamford but had to take Metro-North to New Haven from Stamford on return trip since people were sitting on the floor when train arrived in Stamford. I then boarded in New Haven to get back to Hartford.

I have since taken it with no issues.

Reaction Score
Eh get over it. The alternative is…regular priced beers all night. Glad some people got their cheap ones in. But I mean what do you expect? You could still get a full priced beer no problem so wasn’t like you didn’t get booze. The place was rockin and drunk so it’s not like you didn’t get the atmosphere you wanted. Seems like the big gripe is “but i didn’t get one”. Well tough break, it was first come first serve. No good deed goes unpunished. Why would UConn run promos if when they don’t there’s no gripe whatsoever, but when they do it’s just never good enough.

Reaction Score
Eh get over it. The alternative is…regular priced beers all night. Glad some people got their cheap ones in. But I mean what do you expect? You could still get a full priced beer no problem so wasn’t like you didn’t get booze. The place was rockin and drunk so it’s not like you didn’t get the atmosphere you wanted. Seems like the big gripe is “but i didn’t get one”. Well tough break, it was first come first serve. No good deed goes unpunished. Why would UConn run promos if when they don’t there’s no gripe whatsoever, but when they do it’s just never good enough.
Sorry, but you shouldn’t advertise $2 beer night if it sells out 45+ minutes before the game starts. That’s pretty ridiculous.

Reaction Score
I’ll be honest I get absolutely wasted at XL. So public transportation and Ubers are necessities for me.

On the other hand you can sober up at Gampel because you know you’ll be stuck in traffic for 1 hour.
Stuck in traffic for an hour?

Reaction Score
The alternative is exactly what happened for a huge majority of people who attended so...

Honestly, if the reason they ran out is because the students showed up so early and drank all the beer, that's a reason I can live with. They were awesome last night.

Reaction Score
I have also taken the bus to XL as well as taking it to work downtown every day. Hartford actually has a very good public transportation system. Why would you laugh at that and why is that people in this country are so negative about public transportation?
Why, haven’t you ever seen Amtrack?

Reaction Score
Even the Wolfpack are equivocating and fine-printing their $2 offer.

There will also be $2 drafts and $2 hot dogs until the end of the 1st intermission on the concourse.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Even the Wolfpack are equivocating and fine-printing their $2 offer.

There will also be $2 drafts and $2 hot dogs until the end of the 1st intermission on the concourse.
Huh? That's the way it's been for at least a decade. And for any fans $2 Beer Night, you need to check out Hartford Athletic. They include local craft beers on tap.

Reaction Score
Huh? That's the way it's been for at least a decade. And for any fans $2 Beer Night, you need to check out Hartford Athletic. They include local craft beers on tap.
Wasn't aware - haven't been to a Pack game in ages. I think $2 beers should mean $2 beers for the entire game.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
just do a 50 cent pitcher night next year. less trips 2 the beer faucet
Lol this is a profoundly bad idea, but that doesn't stop me from loving it.

(And yes, I get that it is tongue in cheek.)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Why don’t we just do a grain alcohol punch game. Talk about puking. The first half would be the loudest ever then when halftime comes and everybody really starts to feel it as the adrenaline starts to ebb. Then the puke brigade would start at about the 18 minute mark of the second half. I know some of you have to remember the grain alcohol watermelon parties. This was the 1980’s and perhaps not exactly 100% legal but I am certain the statue of limitations has expired on this type of offense:)
You guys used a watermelon? Classy! We just used bug juice and grain in a big bowl. Halloween people would throw dry ice in there so you had the fog pouring over the edge. Often that was used as our required "nonalcoholic beverage."

Reaction Score
The best part about $2 beer night is they still had Miller Lites for sale at the west entrance in the second half but told us “they weren’t the $2 ones” and were charging us full price.

Reaction Score
The best part about $2 beer night is they still had Miller Lites for sale at the west entrance in the second half but told us “they weren’t the $2 ones” and were charging us full price.
That's what people didn't like the most. That's a bait and switch.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Classic BY.

Uconn AD doesn't provide enough $2 cans of Miller Lite and BY turns it in to a discussion of mass transit routes through central CT.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom