2-10 gets another year. Period | The Boneyard

2-10 gets another year. Period

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Anyone hoping he will be gone after the season will not get their wish. He has another year to get this tuned around.That's just the reality of his contract. You can't fire a guy the same year you extend him. It won't happen.

If you don't like him, root for the kids.

Reaction Score
I think most people realize this. You can continue to show up for the players, which the diehards will do, or just walk away until we get through next year and then get a new coach. Either way, it won't get better.

Reaction Score
He's going to be the coach next year. If they show little progress next year I will be leading the charge carrying a torch and pitchfork. My hot take:

When he was hired, I thought it was a decent hire. I was a bit thrown off with his act. I was worried we were getting a used car salesman or a PT Barnum type rather than a football coach.

In year 1, I was a big critic. Thought he did a terrible job. The red flags were all over the place.

Year 2 I thought he improved a lot. Still some head scratching stuff but now I'm thinking a lot of our warts were covered up by our excellent turnover margin.

Year 3, I've seen little progress. The OL has played better recently, but the boneheaded Shiite is way too common.

I'm quickly losing faith. I'm starting to think we got more used car salesman than football coach. Diaco needs to can the PR salesman crap and needs to focus on winning games. Once you starting winning THEN you can play PT Barnum.

Reaction Score
These posts just go on and on. Some therapeutic venting I guess........

I will say this. I did not understand the extension. It simply did not seem necessary. I assume there was a strategy behind it and with the hindsight of 3-5 it's easy to poke holes in that strategy. But from the moment it was announced I was scratching my head and it had nothing to do with my like or dislike of Diaco. I just didn't understand it from a business point of view.

Reaction Score
He's going to be the coach next year. If they show little progress next year I will be leading the charge carrying a torch and pitchfork. My hot take:

When he was hired, I thought it was a decent hire. I was a bit thrown off with his act. I was worried we were getting a used car salesman or a PT Barnum type rather than a football coach.

In year 1, I was a big critic. Thought he did a terrible job. The red flags were all over the place.

Year 2 I thought he improved a lot. Still some head scratching stuff but now I'm thinking a lot of our warts were covered up by our excellent turnover margin.

Year 3, I've seen little progress. The OL has played better recently, but the boneheaded Shiite is way too common.

I'm quickly losing faith. I'm starting to think we got more used car salesman than football coach. Diaco needs to can the PR salesman crap and needs to focus on winning games. Once you starting winning THEN you can play PT Barnum.

I was not thrilled with the hire but talked myself into it after the fact and defended his throw away of year one as part of a long-term plan.

Year 2 was an improvement, but in hindsight it was mainly due to (1) actually trying to win some of the games and (2) a lot of fortunate bounces. There were, however, signs of competence and a reason to hope for continued improvement. The bowl game performance should have been a big red flag at the time.

Now, in year 3, the defense has failed to deal with the departures of two of its better players and looks to have regressed significantly. The offense, despite improving pass protection from the OL over the course of the season and one of the better receivers in the conference, is still inept. The crazy decisions are still there. Even with the stalled development, we have had the opportunity to win at least two games in which mismanagement by the coaching staff has caused us to miss out on those opportunities.

Next year we lose our best offensive player and two of our three best players (and perhaps 3 of 4) on defense. The only reasons that we would be better next year are if (1) The guys currently taking redshirts are significantly better than the guys playing now and (2) the coaching staff stops leaving games on the field with blatant mismanagement. We have Missouri coming here, and we are at a Virginia team that is likely to be better in year 2 of Mendenhall's regime. I'm extremely concerned that year 4 of the Diaco era will look much like year 3 of the P era.

Reaction Score
I will say this. I did not understand the extension. It simply did not seem necessary. I assume there was a strategy behind it and with the hindsight of 3-5 it's easy to poke holes in that strategy. But from the moment it was announced I was scratching my head and it had nothing to do with my like or dislike of Diaco. I just didn't understand it from a business point of view.
There were some national openings and I am thinking Herbst got scared he would leave and instructed Bennedict to prevent that from happening.

Reaction Score
There were some national openings and I am thinking Herbst got scared he would leave and instructed Bennedict to prevent that from happening.

Then they misread the market. Diaco was not going to be offered by big time programs after last season. He was then and is now not fully tested as a HC.

Reaction Score
I think they need to can the OC... Problem is if they do that, they have nobody who has a clue about running an offense.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
So I see you've brought you knack of starting useless threads for the sake of starting useless threads to the Football board. This could have been posted in any one of at least 6 other threads.

If 2-10 will get the Coach another year, imagine how safe he is with 3 wins...you know, the number of wins he actually has? If a few mistakes are cleaned up (albeit a tall task), they still have a shot at bowl eligibility.

Reaction Score

I don't think this was the reason for the extension. If you recall, the extension was followed shortly by a $250,000 Diaco donation to the AD. He actually got $450,000 in extra money as a result of the extension (plus increases in his buyout), so even if you subtract the donation money he is still coming out ahead of the extension, provided he is not fired before the contract expires. But I think that in many ways this was all orchestrated by Herbst, the AD and Diaco so that Diaco's donation would inspire others to do the same while at the same time making the coach look even better to the fans. This might be a little cynical of an explanation, but I am confident there is a connection between the extension and the donation, which I have no problem with.

Reaction Score
So I see you've brought you knack of starting useless threads for the sake of starting useless threads to the Football board. This could have been posted in any one of at least 6 other threads.

If 2-10 will get the Coach another year, imagine how safe he is with 3 wins...you know, the number of wins he actually has? If a few mistakes are cleaned up (albeit a tall task), they still have a shot at bowl eligibility.
He's a big fan of his own threads

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

Palatine insight cannot be contained within someone else's thread. It must be allowed to breathe on it's own.

Looking forward to his new thread about the Conflict....

Reaction Score
Anyone hoping he will be gone after the season will not get their wish. He has another year to get this tuned around.That's just the reality of his contract. You can't fire a guy the same year you extend him. It won't happen.

If you don't like him, root for the kids.

Well, in case you haven't noticed he's won 3 games so 2-10 is not in the discussion.

Reaction Score

Here is the thing though. If the goal is 6-6 and some meaningless bowl maybe he is the guy. If they go 3-1 over the final 4 it's possible and 3 of them are winnable I grant you. But I think most people have somewhat higher hopes than .500 and some bowl at 7am on Boxing Day. If you look at others who came into equally bad or worse situations though they all seem to be making progress or are on the hot seat and likely out. That the Bobster is getting similar scrutiny is hardly surprising with an 11-24 record.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Here is the thing though. If the goal is 6-6 and some meaningless bowl maybe he is the guy. If they go 3-1 over the final 4 it's possible and 3 of them are winnable I grant you. But I think most people have somewhat higher hopes than .500 and some bowl at 7am on Boxing Day. If you look at others who came into equally bad or worse situations though they all seem to be making progress or are on the hot seat and likely out. That the Bobster is getting similar scrutiny is hardly surprising with an 11-24 record.
I don't think the goal is 6-6 every year. I had them at 8-4 in the preseason, myself, but if they can go 6-6 and resurrect the season, it will at least inspire some confidence leading into the short and bitter days of winter. Heck, I may even return to defending Diaco, as if there is a method to his madness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom