18-19 POY Mid-Season Favorite | Page 2 | The Boneyard

18-19 POY Mid-Season Favorite

Who is your Candidate?

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Only one player on this list isn't the worst in any category and that player is still the best of the bunch because she has no glaring weaknesses and she is the only all-american who is also a supreme "team player".
And only 3 players aren’t the best in anything, and two of them wear UConn across their chest.

Reaction Score
At halftime vs. Alabama, Anriel Howard has 15 points and 4 rebounds. McCowan has 4 points and 5 rebounds. I'm not sure that McCowan's even the best player on her team, much less in the country.

Are basing this off one game or the whole season so far?

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Crazy how weak this POY group is from outside. Ionescu is the only one even close to shooting above 40%. And I have to be honest - I'm pretty underwhelmed by KLS' reputation as an ace sharpshooter with a 34.5% rate. I realize she's getting double-teamed a lot this year, but so is Ionescu, and she's shooting better from outside while doing so much more elsewhere on the floor. I'm pro-Samuelsons, but feel like KLS hasn't really developed into the superstar we were expecting her freshman year.

And I'm biased, but I'd add Alanna Smith to this bunch: 20.9 PPG, 8.1 RPG, 2.2 APG, 2.3 BPG and 5 fewer MPG than most of these contenders (28.1). She's also shooting better from outside (45%) than everyone on this list, including Ionescu, and she's 6'4"! By comparison, her stats make KLS look rather pedestrian. Apparently Smith is running neck and neck with EDD for best 3 pt shooting % all time for players 6'4" and taller. It's not at all clear to me why KLS should be on this list if Smith is not, unless POY counts all four years. This year, Smith is just better, hands down.

That said, KLS is reflective of what I think is a pretty underwhelming POY group, all things considered. None of them other than Anigwe have been consistent throughout the season - dips here and there. And Anigwe's numbers are juiced by being the only go-to player on her team. And Smith beats her in FG%, 3PT%, FT%, Assists, Steals, and Blocks.

In the end, I'd probably give it to whichever of these players ends up holding the trophy in April, because in the end, leading your team to a national championship is quite a tie-breaker. But other than that, it's hard to see how Ionescu shouldn't be the favorite among this bunch, esp. given her triple-double records.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
That said, KLS is reflective of what I think is a pretty underwhelming POY group, all things considered. None of them other than Anigwe have been consistent throughout the season - dips here and there. And Anigwe's numbers are juiced by being the only go-to player on her team. And Smith beats her in FG%, 3PT%, FT%, Assists, Steals, and Blocks.
Megan Gustafson has been hands down the most consistent performer among this group.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Megan Gustafson has been hands down the most consistent performer among this group.
Good call - her too. I tend to overlook her because we don't get Big Ten network and they don't seem to play as many OOC games against the big teams, so I haven't seen her play at all. All of the others play for high profile teams with national games.

Edited to add: Wow. Gustafson hasn't finished a game with fewer than 10 points since her freshman year. I realize Big Ten is not the most competitive conference, but still.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
This gets right back to the problem of the 2 most consistent players putting up the best numbers play for non-contenders. Who do you give it to?

Reaction Score
This gets right back to the problem of the 2 most consistent players putting up the best numbers play for non-contenders. Who do you give it to?
Answer: Alana Smith

Reaction Score
As she has flown under the radar most of her career, Pheesa is also flying under the radar in POY convos. The BY has been so worried about Lou...

Pheesa is averaging more points & rebounds than Ionescu as of now. There’s not a more versatile player in the county on the offensive & defensive end. Remember, defense is also a factor in this! Eye test should be used, not only stats.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think there will be multiple award winners this year. Sabrina is the leader, but another 6-7 will compete.

I think Lou is the best all-around player, with Pheesa close, but Lou’s shooting numbers are down too much for her to win. But a hot streak can start at any time.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Some folks have mentioned players who lead their team to the Final Four, but I think the voting is done before that. I know many announcements are issued around the time of the Final Four, but I believe voting is done much earlier. Can someone give us an authoritative statement as to when voting ends? I think it’s either the end of the regular season or the end of conference tourneys. I’m pretty sure it excludes all of the NCAA tourney.

Reaction Score
I think there will be multiple award winners this year. Sabrina is the leader, but another 6-7 will compete.

I think Lou is the best all-around player, with Pheesa close, but Lou’s shooting numbers are down too much for her to win. But a hot streak can start at any time.
I think it’s close offensively but I think where I give Pheesa the clear nod over Lou is on defense.

Reaction Score
Some folks have mentioned players who lead their team to the Final Four, but I think the voting is done before that. I know many announcements are issued around the time of the Final Four, but I believe voting is done much earlier. Can someone give us an authoritative statement as to when voting ends? I think it’s either the end of the regular season or the end of conference tourneys. I’m pretty sure it excludes all of the NCAA tourney.
It ends after conference tournaments, no NCAA games are taken into account.

Reaction Score
1. Durr
2. Ionescu
3. Gustafson
4. Brown
5. Ogunbowale

Reaction Score
As she has flown under the radar most of her career, Pheesa is also flying under the radar in POY convos. The BY has been so worried about Lou...

Pheesa is averaging more points & rebounds than Ionescu as of now. There’s not a more versatile player in the county on the offensive & defensive end. Remember, defense is also a factor in this! Eye test should be used, not only stats.
How can she be the most versatile when she can't shoot 3s or FTs especially in today's game and don't give me she normally is a good FT shooter. I guess KLS isn't normally a GREAT 3pt shooter.

Reaction Score
I think it’s close offensively but I think where I give Pheesa the clear nod over Lou is on defense.
No way it's close offensively. If you think that KLS couldn't do what Collier does down low if she did it just as much then you're delusional.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
How can she be the most versatile when she can't shoot 3s or FTs especially in today's game and don't give me she normally is a good FT shooter. I guess KLS isn't normally a GREAT 3pt shooter.
Phee has not had a good season from the arc, but her FT shooting is on the rise—77% over the past 5 games. She had lost her stroke, but appears to have found it. She’s above 80% for her career. It’s not accurate to say she can’t shoot FTs.

Reaction Score
No way it's close offensively. If you think that KLS couldn't do what Collier does down low if she did it just as much then you're delusional.
This is ignorant if you actually believe what you just said. I’m sure 99.9% of this board would agree bc there’s no way she could do what Pheesa does on the block.

Reaction Score
This is ignorant if you actually believe what you just said. I’m sure 99.9% of this board would agree bc there’s no way she could do what Pheesa does on the block.
We're talking about scoring close to the basket not doing brain surgery.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom