18-19 POY Mid-Season Favorite | The Boneyard

18-19 POY Mid-Season Favorite

Who is your Candidate?

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Well at this point, most teams have played around 21 or so games, which means we are a little over the halfway point. Below are some stats of the (IMO) top 9 candidates for. Obviously there there are many more games that will greatly affect the actual winner, but who do you guys think will win it?
Screen Shot 2019-02-02 at 11.46.00 PM.png

BTW, I left KLS and Kalani Brown out of the poll because it only allowed for 7

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Everybody has been at least a little bit up and down. Really don't know who deserves it the most at this point. If you just go with numbers it has to be Gustafson or Anigwe, but neither of them are playing for teams that are anywhere close to being top 10, that usually helps. Still think Stanford's Alanna Smith should be right in the thick of this, she's been just as good as everybody listed.

Ogunbowale and Ionescu probably seemed like favorites not too long ago, but both have had some clunker games lately. Maybe because nobody else is really running away with it Ionescu gets it for her stat sheet stuffing, but I'm not even convinced she should be Pac 12 POY at this point. Yeah, let's just split it 5 or 6 ways. There is no clear cut best player this year.

Reaction Score
To me, Pheesa’s ability to pass & defend on the perimeter separates her from the other post players on this list. Also, if your team has already lost 6 times, I find it hard to say you’re the best in the country.

Reaction Score
To me, Pheesa’s ability to pass & defend on the perimeter separates her from the other post players on this list. Also, if your team has already lost 6 times, I find it hard to say you’re the best in the country.

Kelsey Plum (2 years ago)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Stewie if you throw out that annoying "college" thing. ;)

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
I put it between the best player on each of the two teams that I predict will play for the Championship in Tampa.

Louisville vs Mississippi State

Asia Durr deserves it, but T's performance against South Carolina and her regular 20+ rebound games will show itself continuously in the tournament. Other than that fluke at Oregon, she'll always be better in big games... part of that is that she'll play the entire game vs her 25 minutes usual average. Her numbers are better from last year all around, including field goal percentage (7% better), free throw shooting (12% better), and rebounding a little bit better. All this averaging 4 or 5 minutes per game less than last year. Takes nothing away from Asia Durr of course.....she has games where she's the only player in double figures on her team, but her whole team came to play vs UConn which is exactly what you have to be prepared for. But I give McCowan the slight edge due to overall complimentary stats. Points, rebounds, percentage, blocks, etc.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I put it between the best player on each of the two teams that I predict will play for the Championship in Tampa.

Louisville vs Mississippi State

Asia Durr deserves it, but T's performance against South Carolina and her regular 20+ rebound games will show itself continuously in the tournament. Other than that fluke at Oregon, she'll always be better in big games... part of that is that she'll play the entire game vs her 25 minutes usual average. Her numbers are better from last year all around, including field goal percentage (7% better), free throw shooting (12% better), and rebounding a little bit better. All this averaging 4 or 5 minutes per game less than last year. Takes nothing away from Asia Durr of course.....she has games where she's the only player in double figures on her team, but her whole team came to play vs UConn which is exactly what you have to be prepared for. But I give McCowan the slight edge due to overall complimentary stats. Points, rebounds, percentage, blocks, etc.

I'd vote McCowan or Ionescu right now. Durr and Ogunbowale right behind. KLS/Collier a tier after.

Gustafson and Angiwe are having great seasons but their teams simply arent good. Plum's numbers were otherworldly when she won, and her team was better than Iowa/Cal are. SC was a dangerous team last year with A'ja. Iowa and Cal arent.

Brown's numbers are way too low at this point.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Asia Durr deserves it, but T's performance against South Carolina and her regular 20+ rebound games will show itself continuously in the tournament. Other than that fluke at Oregon, she'll always be better in big games... part of that is that she'll play the entire game vs her 25 minutes usual average. Her numbers are better from last year all around, including field goal percentage (7% better), free throw shooting (12% better), and rebounding a little bit better. All this averaging 4 or 5 minutes per game less than last year....

Not sure why it matters what she did last year. We're not talking about the Most Improved Player award. So maybe she can win that one instead.

Reaction Score
Are Brown’s numbers low because of minutes played though? If she averaged 10 more minutes (as Ionescu does) or 8.5 more (as KLS does) would her numbers be better? Her per-40 minute stats clearly say so.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Not sure why it matters what she did last year. We're not talking about the Most Improved Player award. So maybe she can win that one instead.

I am really confused what you're arguing about this time. Not necessarily saying it's a reason or anything, I'm just adding that info as an extra tidbit.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Are Brown’s numbers low because of minutes played though? If she averaged 10 more minutes (as Ionescu does) or 8.5 more (as KLS does) would her numbers be better? Her per-40 minute stats clearly say so.

Likely yes, but you could make the same argument for Queen Egbo whose numbers are similar on a 40 mpg basis as Brown. At the end of the day, voters wont give POY to someone averaging 15/7 and 1.5 bpg. McCowan's numbers are markedly better than Brown's despite averaging almost the same MPG.

Reaction Score
Likely yes, but you could make the same argument for Queen Egbo whose numbers are similar on a 40 mpg basis as Brown. At the end of the day, voters wont give POY to someone averaging 15/7 and 1.5 bpg. McCowan's numbers are markedly better than Brown's despite averaging almost the same MPG.
Baylor also doesn’t face the competition in the Big-12 where Mulkey will play Brown for 30+ a night, especially not when she can help shift focus to developing Egbo and getting her minutes in preparation for next season.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
At halftime vs. Alabama, Anriel Howard has 15 points and 4 rebounds. McCowan has 4 points and 5 rebounds. I'm not sure that McCowan's even the best player on her team, much less in the country.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I am predicting that it will be Arike O.
She was the preseason favorite and she has done nothing to change their votes.
And the voters will overlook her unsportsmanlike actions in multiple games.
She plays for ND and is still appearing on ESPN for her 2 shots in the Final Four.
And because so many others deserve it more.

Reaction Score
I am predicting that it will be Arike O.
She was the preseason favorite and she has done nothing to change their votes.
And the voters will overlook her unsportsmanlike actions in multiple games.
She plays for ND and is still appearing on ESPN for her 2 shots in the Final Four.
And because so many others deserve it more.
She’s been extremely inconsistent this season. Also shooting under 30% from 3 & take a lot of them. She’s on the outside looking in as of now.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Kelsey Plum (2 years ago)

UW had not lost 6 games at this point in the season 2 years ago. They finished 29-6, which included a loss in their conference tourney and the NCAA Tourney. They were neck and neck w/ Oregon St. and Stanford for the Pac 12 Conference regular season title the whole year. They also lost at UCLA in mid February, so they would've had 3 losses at this point in the season.

Reaction Score
People took it too literal when I said you can’t be a POY candidate with over 5 losses. I’m factoring in these teams will probably still drop a few more. Being on a contender to win a championship AND stats is big for this award. Not just stats. Sorry it may be unfair but Iowa & Cal have no chance to win.

Reaction Score
Ionesecu will win. She won it before stepping on the court this season. She is the triple double queen. Her team will have a fairly straight forward draw to the FF. She will be the next Kelsey Plum.

Reaction Score
Well at this point, most teams have played around 21 or so games, which means we are a little over the halfway point. Below are some stats of the (IMO) top 9 candidates for. Obviously there there are many more games that will greatly affect the actual winner, but who do you guys think will win it? View attachment 39071
BTW, I left KLS and Kalani Brown out of the poll because it only allowed for 7
Only one player on this list isn't the worst in any category and that player is still the best of the bunch because she has no glaring weaknesses and she is the only all-american who is also a supreme "team player".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rawdawg35

Top Bottom