$17m early buyout agreement per Blauds | Page 3 | The Boneyard

$17m early buyout agreement per Blauds

C

Chief00

You keep saying this Chief. My understanding from the contract that UConn signed with the Big East is that they will get the full distribution as a member once they join the conference. They won't get the tournament shares that the Big East will be receiving from when UConn was in the American, which makes sense.
I said conference distribution, which to me includes conference tournament revenue. So when will be the first year they actually receive Big East tournament revenue?
We have to also keep in mind when a team in MBB wins the NC as Villanova has done in 2 of the last 4 years the conference distribution likely far exceeds what it will be without that unusual accomplishment .
I am not trying to be negative, as I probably sound, but I like to get all the numbers transparently on the table and have conservative assumptions in the forecasts.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Uconn going independence is more likely to hurt UMass ability to schedule any interesting home games. Who would want to go there? This could be really good for Uconn and the end of zoo mass.
Hmmm, interesting take.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I said conference distribution, which to me includes conference tournament revenue. So when will be the first year they actually receive Big East tournament revenue?
We have to also keep in mind when a team in MBB wins the NC as Villanova has done in 2 of the last 4 years the conference distribution likely far exceeds what it will be without that unusual accomplishment .
I am not trying to be negative, as I probably sound, but I like to get all the numbers transparently on the table and have conservative assumptions in the forecasts.
Understood, but since we weren't a member when that money was earned, I'm not troubled by not getting a share of it.

You make a good point though, that we weren't really get a distribution of NCAA credit money until after we've been in the conference a year. I hadn't really thought about that timing.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Its really just fantastic that this is now a done deal. I feared a long August and possibly September of speculation and wasted time.

Now its Bring on 2019 - the AAC final tour and lets build that independent schedule for 2020 and beyond.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Its really just fantastic that this is now a done deal. I feared a long August and possibly September of speculation and wasted time.

Now its Bring on 2019 - the AAC final tour and lets build that independent schedule for 2020 and beyond.
Just pass along any bowl alliance you hear about, a'kay?

Husky25

Reaction Score

First round projections sit out playing in the bowl games. It doesn't mean they don't make the trip or that 84-115 other players won't want to play in the game. As long as bowls exist, they will matter.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Just pass along any bowl alliance you hear about, a'kay?

The whisper out there is that big bad ESPN wont lock us out of their family of bowls. They have so many and such control of the system it would be bad politics to deny a worthy season some sort of game. Nothing can be announced until we leave the AAC.

Yes, if we win 6 games we might be shut out, if we win seven, we should get something.

I dont think kids think at all about bowls. They think about P5 or not P5 first, then for many of them they are attracted to winning programs - so we see lots of kids run towards the winning programs, then the position offered (most kids play two positions, what position does the school recruiting you want you to play) and the depth at that position in that program, then the staff itself (head coach/position coach), then school environment and/or academics and then maybe they think about bowls.

None of the G5 schools have legitimate bowls. The best G5 schools typically end up playing the #6 or lower program from the P5 - if they even get a P5 opponent which is not too common.

CL82

Reaction Score

First round projections sit out playing in the bowl games. It doesn't mean they don't make the trip or that 84-115 other players won't want to play in the game. As long as bowls exist, they will matter.

... and this ignores the value of extra practices.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Uconn going independence is more likely to hurt UMass ability to schedule any interesting home games. Who would want to go there? This could be really good for Uconn and the end of zoo mass.
But really. This is an interesting take I hadn’t thought of yet. They play all their home games on campus and no longer in Foxboro right? Who would come to Amherst to play on a high school field instead of the Rent?

CL82

Reaction Score
But really. This is an interesting take I hadn’t thought of yet. They play all their home games on campus and no longer in Foxboro right? Who would come to Amherst to play on a high school field instead of the Rent?
Independent travel partner?

I don't know maybe it helps them with schools that have a NE alumini base. Schools get used to travelling to CT for a game, maybe they consider making a trip to MA? (Agree that it would likely have to be a Foxborough.)

Reaction Score
... and this ignores the value of extra practices.

Real question. If I have a 7-5 record, am bowl eligible, but am not selected to a bowl do I still get to practice?

CL82

Reaction Score
Real question. If I have a 7-5 record, am bowl eligible, but am not selected to a bowl do I still get to practice?
I think the answer is no, but shouldn't it be yes?

Reaction Score
I think the answer is no, but shouldn't it be yes?

Sure the answer is "no"....the practice is granted to prepare for the bowl game during a 30 day layoff.

Husky25

Reaction Score
The whisper out there is that big bad ESPN wont lock us out of their family of bowls. They have so many and such control of the system it would be bad politics to deny a worthy season some sort of game. Nothing can be announced until we leave the AAC.

Yes, if we win 6 games we might be shut out, if we win seven, we should get something.

I dont think kids think at all about bowls. They think about P5 or not P5 first, then for many of them they are attracted to winning programs - so we see lots of kids run towards the winning programs, then the position offered (most kids play two positions, what position does the school recruiting you want you to play) and the depth at that position in that program, then the staff itself (head coach/position coach), then school environment and/or academics and then maybe they think about bowls.

None of the G5 schools have legitimate bowls. The best G5 schools typically end up playing the #6 or lower program from the P5 - if they even get a P5 opponent which is not too common.
This is assuming the kid believes that winning and going to bowls are not mutually exclusive.

CL82

Reaction Score
Sure the answer is "no"....the practice is granted to prepare for the bowl game during a 30 day layoff.
Yep. I think the argument would be if a team has done what needs to do to qualify, should it be prejudiced because it wasn't chosen? Yes, I know that's a little different way of thinking about it.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Can't wait to hear about these home & homes. How about 1 a day, AD Dave?

I’m thinking we might not hear about the 2020 games until we have SNY nailed down. Just thinking aloud here.

Reaction Score
Maybe it is the teams that went 2-10 or 3-9 that should be granted extra practice time....

The teams with better records also further developing their talent does no favors for those who are lower on the totem pole.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Maybe it is the teams that went 2-10 or 3-9 that should be granted extra practice time....
To improve FBS football parity they should grant teams in the bottom quartile extra scholarships and/or extra transfer benefits (ie two kids can transfer in and not sit a year). I know it would get wildly complicated - but it already is wildly complicated.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
UMass is in a much different predicament than we are as far as home scheduling. Their on campus facility is way too small to play anyone of note, and their other option is 2+ hours from campus, so they don't want to play games there.

Except us perhaps. That would be ideal. It's 15 minutes from my house and Gillette is closer to Storrs than Amherst. Maybe turn it into a Florida-Georgia style annual game?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom