$ 14 MILLION?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
tin-foil-hat.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
That would explain the "disappearances" of certain ESPN employees wouldn't it?

Conspiracy Kitty strikes again!! Worth her weight in aluminum...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You're joking, right? Please tell me you're joking! Do you really need for me to tell you why a big-mouth AD would have to say "mea culpa" after having let the horse out of the corral?? Wow, dude.

As far as election time, I actually find it to be horrible. Robo-calls from some damned telemarketing elephant or donkey, nobody talks about the issues, nobody brings facts to their discussion, and most people's minds are made up before they even know who wins the primary. In other words, very similar to the Boneyard...:eek:

I'm not joking. So I guess you are landing on the side that the apology was
a lie. I agree somewhat, I hardly believe that Pitt and Syracuse were simply what ESPN said to do, but i'm sure they influenced.

So Gene D lies to and through the media. Just wanted to make sure you agreed.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I'm not joking. So I guess you are landing on the side that the apology was
a lie. I agree somewhat, I hardly believe that Pitt and Syracuse were simply what ESPN said to do, but i'm sure they influenced.

So Gene D lies to and through the media. Just wanted to make sure you agreed.

You just wanted to make sure that I agreed that he spilled something he shouldn't have, and then lied about the apology? Sure. Okay, good. So we're finally on the same page.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You just wanted to make sure that I agreed that he spilled something he shouldn't have, and then lied about the apology? Sure. Okay, good. So we're finally on the same page.

Nope. That he is willing to lie to the media and therefore everything he says that can't be confirmed elsewhere may also be lies. Pretty obvious this is the case, but go ahead and take the word of scumbags at face value all you want.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Nope. That he is willing to lie to the media and therefore everything he says that can't be confirmed elsewhere may also be lies. Pretty obvious this is the case, but go ahead and take the word of scumbags at face value all you want.

Well, at least we can agree that Gene is a scumbag. I knew we would find common ground here!

Reaction Score

Thanks for finding that... I was going looking for a transcript tomorrow. Def worth a listen (8 minutes)...

Nick C seemed much better than our Acting BE commish in delivering a message -- "Until now we may have been not as bold in trying to get that message out (BE is alive message), but you are going see us become more and more bold as time goes by and we have more tangible things to talk about."

Nice thought process on Bowl possibilities (as FHCRE would say - they need to execute).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Pretty much called out ESPN. I like this guy.

Reaction Score
Poor analogy. Try this one to see if it fits better: your business partner tells your competitor how to punch you in the face, and then your competitor punches you in the face.

So........keep the business partner???

Wrong. Because you forget that ESPN was, and is, also business partners with the ACC. You also seem to forget ESPN made a big offer to the Big East, which was declined. When your business partner tells you they are not renewing the contract and are going to test the open market, they are informing you they do not intend to be your business partner anymore. At what point do we put our big boy pants on and understand that billions of dollars are at stake, and once negotiations fell through, ESPN decided to do what was best for ESPN, and not the Big East? Just like a free agent in sports who declines their option to test the waters. The team owes them nothing at that point, and is justified in treating them as a competitior rather than business partner.

You seem to be approaching this from the perspective that ESPN has no relationship with the ACC. So what they told the ACC what to do to make more money? You think they didn't tell the Big East what to do to make more money?

If that business partner is going to keep paying you fair market value, an amount that keeps you relevant and ideally more stable, you'd be stupid not to keep it. It's business, not personal.

You're missing the point of my analogy. It's got nothing to do with friends, or foes. If anyone (besides a government official with authority) tells you what to do, and you do it, you are responsible. Not the person who told you what to do. It's got nothing to do with friends, associates, business partners, or competitors.

And your analogy is off. You should have said "your business partner tells their business partner (who happens to be your competitor) how to punch you in the face, and then your competitor punches you in the face, the competitor is still to blame.

Of course anyone who really thinks the presidents of the ACC couldn't have figured out how to get more money (after raiding the Big East once already) and needed ESPN to tell them what to do is extremely naive anyway.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame is the biggest brand/name in college sports. They would draw big ratings even if they played on the Food Network.

It's a whole different story for small brands like San Diego State, UCF and SMU, etc. where they need the exposure and to be in the mainstream media and casual sport's fan conscious.

who do you think will provide them with more exposure, a network whose sports coverage basically boils down to Big East collegiate sports, or ESPN where there's probably zero chance of them being any higher than ESPN3 internet coverage? I'd take the first. there's a cost to leaving ESPN, but i think more is gained by adding a TV partner that wants you to succeed.

now one thing i feel like i have to add is that i've been able to watch every UConn game over the last several years, even against 1AA teams, and there's no guarantee that will be the case if we switch to NBC. sometimes i had to hook my laptop up to my TV for internet coverage (which i actually learned to prefer b/c there's way less commercials and BS on the net broadcasts. sometimes you even see the half time show) but i've always been able to watch them. at the end of the day, fans being able to watch games is the number one priority

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
ESPN hates the Big East so much, they offered them a billion dollars.

Reaction Score
With regards to teh broadcasting value of the Big East conference, It's almost time for speculation to turn into reality.

It will be interesting.

Reaction Score
who do you think will provide them with more exposure, a network whose sports coverage basically boils down to Big East collegiate sports, or ESPN where there's probably zero chance of them being any higher than ESPN3 internet coverage? I'd take the first. there's a cost to leaving ESPN, but i think more is gained by adding a TV partner that wants you to succeed.

now one thing i feel like i have to add is that i've been able to watch every UConn game over the last several years, even against 1AA teams, and there's no guarantee that will be the case if we switch to NBC. sometimes i had to hook my laptop up to my TV for internet coverage (which i actually learned to prefer b/c there's way less commercials and BS on the net broadcasts. sometimes you even see the half time show) but i've always been able to watch them. at the end of the day, fans being able to watch games is the number one priority

SMU is not a "small brand." It's a big brand, in waiting.

Prior to the "Death Penalty," SMU was one of the biggest names in the old SWC. It was SMU's punishment that served as the catalyst for the conference's demise. When it finally comes to the BE, it will be the one school in the conference with the "tradition" we're always discussing. 11 SWC championships, 10 members of the College Hall Of Fame, 6 members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, 14 Bowls including the original "Big 4,"and over 30 All-Americans including names like Don Meredith, Forest Gregg, Tobin Rote, Kyle Rote, Jerry Levias, Louie Kelcher, and many more. SMU also has, in total, one of the wealthiest alumni bases in the country. Hopefully they use their money correctly this time.

If SMU starts winning every year, and with their coach it's not a pipe dream, they will, once again, be judged as a national power. Even the dismissive talking heads will support SMU SMU they know. They can relate to SMU. SMU sings for these turkeys.

SMU's fans have been waiting, since the "Punishment'." They'll come back.

zls44

Reaction Score
SMU is not a "small brand." It's a big brand, in waiting.

Prior to the "Death Penalty," SMU was one of the biggest names in the old SWC. It was SMU's punishment that served as the catalyst for the conference's demise. When it finally comes to the BE, it will be the one school in the conference with the "tradition" we're always discussing. 11 SWC championships, 10 members of the College Hall Of Fame, 6 members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, 14 Bowls including the original "Big 4,"and over 30 All-Americans including names like Don Meredith, Forest Gregg, Tobin Rote, Kyle Rote, Jerry Levias, Louie Kelcher, and many more. SMU also has, in total, one of the wealthiest alumni bases in the country. Hopefully they use their money correctly this time.

If SMU starts winning every year, and with their coach it's not a pipe dream, they will, once again, be judged as a national power. Even the dismissive talking heads will support SMU SMU they know. They can relate to SMU. SMU sings for these turkeys.

SMU's fans have been waiting, since the "Punishment'." They'll come back.

SMU also had the benefit of Texas being down (relatively) back then. There was a void for the spot of top team in Texas. UT is down now, but clearly positioned to rotate with A&M/TCU for that title. It's really hard for SMU to get that attention. It's a big reason they were able to fill Texas Stadium.

I really don't think SMU can be a national power again. Too many cooks in the kitchen with bigger knives.

Reaction Score
I really don't think SMU can be a national power again. Too many cooks in the kitchen with bigger knives.

Wrong again. If SMU can't be a national power in any given year then neither can UCONN, BC, Cuse or PITT. We should all give up and go home.

zls44

Reaction Score
Wrong again. If SMU can't be a national power in any given year then neither can UCONN, BC, Cuse or PITT. We should all give up and go home.

There's a huge difference between National Power and competing on a national stage for a title in a given year. There are probably 5-10 "National Power" schools. Those are the schools that year-in, year-out can go into a season expecting to compete for a playoff spot.

Reaction Score
metsfan, you seem especially grouchy.

Reaction Score
aaaaaaaaa
SMU also had the benefit of Texas being down (relatively) back then. There was a void for the spot of top team in Texas. UT is down now, but clearly positioned to rotate with A&M/TCU for that title. It's really hard for SMU to get that attention. It's a big reason they were able to fill Texas Stadium.

My thinking is that, as has been the recent case, the "talking heads" will dwell on what they were and, assuming 9 or 10 wins seasons, will place them in the "high esteem" category. And you can not down play all that oil money.

Reaction Score
There's a huge difference between National Power and competing on a national stage for a title in a given year. There are probably 5-10 "National Power" schools. Those are the schools that year-in, year-out can go into a season expecting to compete for a playoff spot.

You are the one who equated national power with A&M and TCU. They can be national powers but not SMU?

There is no such thing as being a "National Power" year in and year out. When is the last time ND finished in the top 5? When is the last time Penn State competed for a national championship? Alabama was down a peg before they got Saban. Every school has to prove it every year and there is a constant reshuffling.

OK state was one win away from competing for a title last year. Are they a national power? Have they always been?

Reaction Score
You are the one who equated national power with A&M and TCU. They can be national powers but not SMU?

There is no such thing as being a "National Power" year in and year out. When is the last time ND finished in the top 5? When is the last time Penn State competed for a national championship? Alabama was down a peg before they got Saban. Every school has to prove it every year and there is a constant reshuffling.

OK state wa one win from competing for a title last year. Are they a national power? Have they always been?

No he didn't. He specifically said competition for the top team in TX.

Please stop criticizing others for reading comprehension or taking things out of context.

Reaction Score
There is a constant reshuffling but there are only a dozen cards in the deck.

The trick is to break into that top tier. Do that and UConn will likely remain their.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

This is a great point and one I'd like to know the answer to. What happens with our SNY deal? They usually take the ESPN broadcast and show it on SNY so we can get every UConn game. Is the same going to happen with NBC? Is SNY considered our Tier 3 deal and we can do what we want with it? I'd be interested to know how this works. If we move away from ESPN, will SNY have to provide their own broadcast team, score box on tv, etc or will they take a NBC feed and air it? I can't imagine NBC currently has the ability to cover every Big East game like ESPN does.

Reaction Score
There is a constant reshuffling but there are only a dozen cards in the deck.

There are more then a dozen cards. Nobody knew what a Boise State was 20 years ago yet now they are a recognized football brand.

Baylor was just a mediocre football team when we played them just 3 years ago, there were not any "Wow, we're playing Baylor" threads in the Boneyard when they were announced on our schedule, most viewed them the way we viewed the Vandy game, yet now they are a recognized brand because of one player.

The same thing happened with BC in the 80's. Virginia Tech is another school that came out of nowhere in the 90's, a Big East team no less. The goal for UCONN should be to be the next Virginia Tech.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This is a great point and one I'd like to know the answer to. What happens with our SNY deal? They usually take the ESPN broadcast and show it on SNY so we can get every UConn game. Is the same going to happen with NBC? Is SNY considered our Tier 3 deal and we can do what we want with it? I'd be interested to know how this works. If we move away from ESPN, will SNY have to provide their own broadcast team, score box on tv, etc or will they take a NBC feed and air it? I can't imagine NBC currently has the ability to cover every Big East game like ESPN does.

SNY is sometimes Tier 3 and sometimes Tier 2 (BEGOW noon Saturday on the syndicated network). ESPN currently produces the Tier 3 games that is why they have an ESPN look.

If the league moved to NBC, I don't know if another company would end up with the production on Tier 3 but if they did it would look different and the on-air talent would be different. SNY could produce the games themselves if they wanted to.

I would imagine if the league moves to NBC we'll still see almost all the games on television. We would lose ESPN3 though for those that rely on that.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
would imagine if the league moves to NBC we'll still see almost all the games on television. We would lose ESPN3 though for those that rely on that.
That would be a major problem for us out-of-state Huskies. Both football and basketball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom