Offense sure was not the problem last night but anyway:

Team stats for the 11 games

Trey tries: .360 kinda respectable?
Paige leads at .514

Foul tries: .689 not so respectable
Paige leads at .833

BTW: overall team field goal percentage is at .525

Reaction Score
what is the three % without Beckers? without PB and EW? Possibly less than 30%...

Reaction Score
You can pretty much perform this exercise with almost any team. Take away the top performers and the resulting numbers are much less impressive. How many home runs did the 1927 Yankees hit, taking away Ruth and Gehrig?
I don't fully agree. It is the extent of poor 3 pt shooting this year that is so shocking. Also, you took away two players...

Staying with WBB, you would hope your guards (mostly CW) would shoot better. It is rare to have a shooting guard shoot as poorly from 3 as CW. I think you will find the discrepancy without PB in the stats are far worse than one would expect.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
what is the three % without Beckers? without PB and EW? Possibly less than 30%...
Without Paige it's 33.15%. Also removing Evina it's %28.77

The players (who have taken a 3) under 30% are Christyn, Aubrey, Autumn and Nika. The only worrisome one to me is Christyn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

The only players (who have taken a 3) under 30% are Aubrey, Autumn and Nika.
well only one way to go.....up up up!!!! :)

Reaction Score

The players (who have taken a 3) under 30% are Christyn, Aubrey, Autumn and Nika. The only worrisome one to me is Christyn.
Christyn is a shooting guard but yet shoots less than 30% from 3 and that doesn't include the Ark game. This is a huge problem. She doesn't do anything else really well, so she needs to shoot well....

Reaction Score
I don't fully agree. It is the extent of poor 3 pt shooting this year that is so shocking. Also, you took away two players...

Staying with WBB, you would hope your guards (mostly CW) would shoot better. It is rare to have a shooting guard shoot as poorly from 3 as CW. I think you will find the discrepancy without PB in the stats are far worse than one would expect.

Yes, I know I took away two performers (in a sport that starts 9 as opposed to 5). That's why I wrote "performers" and not "performer."

Reaction Score
Christyn would be a very solid player for us if she never shot another three. That is usually where her game goes awry. I like her and am happy she’s on our team but that (threes) is simply not her game. The big question is why she can’t see that? Midrange shooters, drivers and slashers are valuable too. That is her strength and she should embrace that! Imo of course.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
36% is 36th in the country. It's not elite, but it's definitely not bad. Right around top 10% for the entire country and ahead of all other top 10 teams besides NC State and Louisville.

Reaction Score
Free throw shooting drives me insane. My gamecocks are not a good free throw team. It drives me crazy when we miss a free throw in the 4th quarter. Absolutely crazy. I cringe when certain players go to the line and am uptight whenever any of our players are fouled.

fortunately, Boston and our two primary ball handlers are decent. If I were an opposing coach, I would tell my team to hack the other two players on the court. About a 50/50 chance they are gonna miss the front end of a 1and1 and a greater chance they are gonna miss the back end. Boston shoots about 70% so I would foul her too.

fourth quarter hack-a-Cock would be a definite part of my strategy.

UConn is traditionally a good FT team. It appears that y’all are down a bit this year but not too bad.

I’m not a good stat gatherer but I would love to see ft percentages for all teams in the 4tth quarter of games decided by 10 points or less. Who produces when the pressure is on?

Reaction Score
Yes, I know I took away two performers (in a sport that starts 9 as opposed to 5). That's why I wrote "performers" and not "performer."
but if you want to refute my point, then you need to 1. stick to the same sport and 2. stick to the same parameters . You did neither.

not matter, we shoot worst at three point land than most any team if you take PB out and that is my point and it stands. it is also backed up but the stats. it is the extreme difference when you take PB out and that includes our shooting guard who at present must be shooting it at 25%. as a team, we stink at shooting the 3. take PB out and we are horrible at it. worst than most, if not all top teams, under the SAME parameters.

Reaction Score
not matter, we shoot worst at three point land than most any team if you take PB out and that is my point and it stands. it is also backed up but the stats. it is the extreme difference when you take PB out and that includes our shooting guard who at present must be shooting it at 25%. as a team, we stink at shooting the 3. take PB out and we are horrible at it. worst than most, if not all top teams, under the SAME parameters.

You say it is also backed by the stats but you don't provide any, so here they are.

UConn ranks 7th out of current AP Top 25 in 3FG% .
UConn ranks 13th out of current AP Top 25 in 3FG% without team's Best 3FG% Player (min 10 made).

1612006691393.png

Now if your definition of top teams is only the Top 8 then we are 5th in 3FG% and 7th in 3FG% without team's Best 3FG% Player respectively.

Reaction Score
Christyn is a shooting guard but yet shoots less than 30% from 3 and that doesn't include the Ark game. This is a huge problem. She doesn't do anything else really well, so she needs to shoot well....
Nothing else? She is uneven game to game. There are times she slashed and drives to the basket well. She plays intense defense. Geno has made the point that he needs her collective effort and vale’s it—not just scoring.

Reaction Score
You say it is also backed by the stats but you don't provide any, so here they are.

UConn ranks 7th out of current AP Top 25 in 3FG% .
UConn ranks 13th out of current AP Top 25 in 3FG% without team's Best 3FG% Player (min 10 made).

View attachment 64072

Now if your definition of top teams is only the Top 8 then we are 5th in 3FG% and 7th in 3FG% without team's Best 3FG% Player respectively.
to me top, teams are top 3 -5, including UCONN. thanks for the stats and it proves my point. we are not a good 3 point shooting team in comparison to other teams and without any comparison either. We have also played some really poor teams and had wide open shots every game and just can't hit them.

Reaction Score
Nothing else? She is uneven game to game. There are times she slashed and drives to the basket well. She plays intense defense. Geno has made the point that he needs her collective effort and vale’s it—not just scoring.
she doesnt shoot the ball well and is by far our worst perimeter defender. I'll revise that to say she brings little else to the game on a consistent basis....and that is against the really poor teams that we have played. uneven is being kind i think. She should be dominate.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Christyn's game is not that of a 3 point shooter. She is at her best when she slashes/ drive to the hoop and/ or pulls up for that 10" to 15" jumper. Until she realizes what her strong points are, she will continue to shot a low percentage for each game and frustrate many posters.

Our 2 best 3 point shooters are Evina and Paige. Nika is showing some promise.

Reaction Score
she doesnt shoot the ball well and is by far our worst perimeter defender. I'll revise that to say she brings little else to the game on a consistent basis....and that is against the really poor teams that we have played. uneven is being kind i think. She should be dominate.
The coach would not agree with your dismissal of her defense. I agree the shooting has been uneven, but not the complete dismissal you have posted. She gets out on the fast break exactly as her coach wants her to. #1 player coming out of her high school class. That does speak to who she could be.

Reaction Score
Christyn's game is not that of a 3 point shooter. She is at her best when she slashes/ drive to the hoop and/ or pulls up for that 10" to 15" jumper. Until she realizes what her strong points are, she will continue to shot a low percentage for each game and frustrate many posters.

Our 2 best 3 point shooters are Evina and Paige. Nika is showing some promise.
Christyn plays the 2G, and like any 2G she has to be at least respectable from 3 pt land. She has been awful thus far and her slash/drive game as been inconsistent at best. It is hard to drive when you can't shoot a 3 pointer and the defense sags on you as teams are starting to do now.

Her poor defense and average passing skills make it even worse. I'm being polite to say that she has not been good thus far this year. I thought she might challenge for 1st or 2nd team AA. She will not make AA at all at this rate.

I said before she couldn't get much worse at 3 pt shooting and then she went and missed something like 15 in a row over the last two games. Do you realise how hard it is to miss 15 3 pointers in a row when at least 10 of them are wide open??? She has great passers to get her the ball in rhythm and she still misses!

I was wrong before, but this time I don't see how I can be when I say that she can't get much worse from 3 point land than she is right now. Of course that statement is obvious as she really can't get worse than missing 15 3s in a row. She will get better...she has too! I do believe and still hope that she will turn it around on offense. But how long will it take???

However, her defense is very poor and I have little confidence this will change.

Reaction Score
The coach would not agree with your dismissal of her defense. I agree the shooting has been uneven, but not the complete dismissal you have posted. She gets out on the fast break exactly as her coach wants her to. #1 player coming out of her high school class. That does speak to who she could be.
I rarely speak in these terms about a player on Uconn but it is so obvious she is a terrible defender. I can't believe anybody would say she is even a average defender.

Her shooting has been awful. Something like 28% from 3. For a 2G, it does not get much worse than that. In the last game alone she had 3 open opportunities for the mid to short range and bricked all of them. She used her explosiveness to get some shots but can't hit them, so GA stopped running the plays for CW and instead ran the same type of plays for PB.

CW is in a very bad shooting slump and her defense is very poor so she brings little to the game now. I don't care what she was 4 years ago out of HS. I'm talking now.

As I have repeatedly said, I do hope she comes out of her shooting slump because a big part of her game is being a threat from 3 and then being able to take it to the rim. She has explosiveness and can finish with good strength.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No. Not “obvious” to all. But you’ve made your negative opinion of her very clear.

Reaction Score
No. Not “obvious” to all. But you’ve made your negative opinion of her very clear.
I'm sorry soxx. but it is what it is.

As I keep saying, I do hope she turns it around on offense, and I think she can, but I've been thinking and saying this since last year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom