11/2 4PM - 7:30 news articles: Repeat Big East Dominance; opponent previews: The middle tier; Evina confident in knee | The Boneyard

11/2 4PM - 7:30 news articles: Repeat Big East Dominance; opponent previews: The middle tier; Evina confident in knee

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Westbrook’s coaches and teammates have already taken notice.

“Last year she was a little timid, mainly because of her knee,” Christyn Williams said. “This year, she’s been super aggressive and she’s been getting to the basket and knocking down shots. So I’m happy for her.”

“She’s not taking as many opportunities to step out and get herself back again,” Geno Auriemma said. “She needed a lot of breaks last year and that hasn’t been the case so far. And practice is two hours of basketball stuff. In a game, it’s not two hours of constant — you do get a lot of breaks. But right now she looks good. She looks good. She’s moving well and I’m happy with where she is.”

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Flohoops lost some luster and credibility with me as they ignored Dorka as a Transfer in AND think Maddie Siegrist was a freshman the same year as Paige-news flash FH, Maddy was a sophomore last year and is a Junior this year. Those are jarring mistakes.
Season 2 Smh GIF by The Lonely Island

Reaction Score
The FloHoops article fails to note the arrival of Dorka, who may turn into the key player this season for the Huskies to win the NC. Strange omission.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
From Evina on last season: “Before I’d think about my knee. If I jump, I’m thinking about if I come down, if it’s going to give out on me. . ."

I can't wait to see her this year.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
1635951534310.png

Surprised Caitlyn Clark did not get even 1 vote.

Nice comment by player voter

One player wrote, “It would be fun to have Paige Bueckers as a teammate. She’s a good passer and makes her teammates look good. She brings good energy and looks fun to play with.” Despite the attention on her last season, she shared it, pointing to her teammates, and she has been vocal about more than basketball, using her ESPY speech to highlight Black women.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The coaches poll is interesting.

1635951774368.png

Thought Tara might get more but she does seem to be on of the ultra serious coaches

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
FOY Azzi took 18 votes, Next is Raven Johnson with 2. :eek:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
This will probably get its own thread I assume. Creme and Vopel on the biggest questions for the coming year.

How will all the talent also coexist at UConn? Which players will be in the Huskies' starting lineup?

Creme: UConn coach Geno Auriemma has already said he's not sure how he's going to distribute playing time to all his players' satisfaction. Depending on the development of the freshmen -- a class rated second only to South Carolina's -- UConn could go 11 or 12 players deep. Still, only eight or nine will factor into the regular rotation, and managing any potential discontent might be the biggest challenge to the Huskies' coaching staff this season.

I expect the starting lineup at the beginning of this season to mirror the Huskies' starting five to end last season: Paige Bueckers, Christyn Williams, Evina Westbrook, Aaliyah Edwards and Olivia Nelson-Ododa. Bueckers was the consensus best player in the country last year as a freshman. Williams, Westbrook and Nelson-Ododa are veterans that should understand exactly what Auriemma wants. Edwards was one of the country's most improved players as her freshman season came to a close. This is also the lineup that causes the least possible disruption.

Azzi Fudd, the fourth No. 1 recruit in the last five years to choose UConn, seems too good to come off the bench, but that might be where she starts the season. Dorka Juhasz, an Ohio State transfer who started all but two games in her three years with the Buckeyes, might also begin the season on the bench, but could get starts ahead of Edwards. We'll know more when UConn plays its first exhibition on Sunday; the Huskies open the season Nov. 14 against Arkansas.

Figuring out the starting lineup and even the distribution of minutes really isn't the question for UConn -- it's which player Auriemma trusts the most in big moments? Who is finishing close games? It's going to take some time before those answers evolve, but an early indicator of how Auriemma views his roster could come as early as the week before Thanksgiving. The Huskies could face South Carolina in the finals of the eight-team Battle 4 Atlantis on Nov. 22. If that matchup doesn't happen, the two meet in a nonconference game Jan. 27 in Columbia.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom