10 Reasons why PP must Go ASAP. We can't afford to wait through another season. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

10 Reasons why PP must Go ASAP. We can't afford to wait through another season.

If Uconn loses the next two games at home, is it fair to show PP and GDL the door mid-season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

1. [ ] He has embarrassed Uconn Football since he has become coach (that's a fact!).
    [ ]He anointed GDL to be coaching royalty, despite the fact that whatever GDL's touches turns to trash ( see OL that has become one of the worst in all of college football! Offense for 2 years under GDL's enlightened leadership .)
    [ ]As a rule, he elicits no passion from his team, No energy, No emotion. (Emotion wins football games.)
    [ ]He refuses to make adjustments to his coaching strategy.
    [ ]His team is always seems to be unprepared, mistake prone, and finds ways to lose games.
    [ ]He seemingly does not reward merit, but relies on his guys!
    [ ]He coaches as if it were still the 1990's.
    [ ]The Fan-base is really tired of his sh@t!!
    [ ]He has ran out of excuses.
    [ ]He tries to portray that he is building the program, but everyone knows he is building the program's tombstone.

Got that out of your system?

Hope so, cause he staying for all 12 games. Bet the mortgage on it.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
There were plenty of rumors (especially as they had a deep FCS playoff run at the time) from the day Edsall left that Keeler was the guy we were after. My guess is that this was bluster from his agent and JH dismissed the rumors almost immediately.

Would he have been a great hire? I doubt it but we will never know as there would always be the possibility that he would have thrived here. Would he have been a better hire than P? I'm now of the opinion that the pool of potential candidates (from that time) that would have ended up as a better hire than P towers of the pool of potential candidates that would not have been.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
You're winking but here's my serious answer anyway - Keeler was in the candidate pool after Edsall left right? I looked up his record after the Towson game to refresh my memory... he had success at Delaware but peppered in between seasons where they made deep runs in the I-AA playoffs are some years with not great records... Here are the W-Ls starting in 2002: 6-6, 15-1, 9-4, 6-5, 5-6, 11-4, 4-8, 6-5, 12-3, 7-4, 5-6. Maybe with smaller rosters, that level of football makes it harder to sustain success but I bet you could find someone with more consistency versus the up-and-down records that Keeler had.

I'll go one step further then your analysis: For 1.7 million a year, is KC Keeler really the best person we can find for the job?

That's not meant to be a slight on the guy. But that is a really nice paycheck. Not "Saban-nice", but nice. Nice enough to get us a much bigger name which could more positively affect not just the gameday x's and o's but also a wider recruiting effort...

EDIT: To put this into perspective, here is a listing of the NCAA coaching salaries for this year. That paycheck is near people like June Jones and Mark D'Antonio, and higher than Edsall, Golden, O'Leary, RichRod, Mendenhall, etc. I wouldn't settle for Keeler...

http://www.coacheshotseat.com/SalariesContracts.htm

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
All things considered I think we could do much better than Keeler. I would have much rather given a guy like Keeler a chance than someone like PP. Obviously I'd prefer a known commodity at this level... but baring that a guy like Keeler or even Don Brown would have been a better choice than a retread like Coach P.

Reaction Score
My biggest gripe is the complete lack of in-game adjustments or recognition of things that are working.

Foxx busts out a nice 12 yd gain ON HIS ONLY CARRY. Why not give him the ball again? Afraid the D will be expecting it? Didn't stop you from sending McCombs off tackle 17 times.

And the comment that "if I had to do it again I would have double-teamed on the OL." Do it again? How about doing it on the next possession.

I feel awful for our student-athletes on this team. Their HC is an out of touch mannequin who has sapped all the life from their fanbase.
Coach Pee is a master at not making adjustments or reading game situations. But to be fair, Lam did average 4.5 yards per carry last week.

Reaction Score
Coach Pee is a master at not making adjustments or reading game situations. But to be fair, Lam did average 4.5 yards per carry last week.

Lyle did do a decent job but he's numbers could have been better with a little variety. Also, Lyle probably should have had a rushing TD.

Reaction Score
If you are speaking of the current true freshman, do you really believe that it will make any difference to them if they see P fired September 3 or December 10?

If you are speaking of the current HS players we are recruiting, do you really believe that it will make any difference to them if they see P fired September 3 or December 10?

I want PP fired AFTER the signing period.

The current freshman can do nothing but transfer and lose a year of eligibility.

It means that the high school kids can go elsewhere unless they are signed.

The kids signed on to play for PP (hard to believe).

Reaction Score

The current freshman can do nothing but transfer and lose a year of eligibility.

You want PP fired February 6th of 2014?

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score

So in order to salvage whatever incoming freshman we may risk losing by canning P before signing day you are willing to let basically any other quality HC candidate land somewhere else?

Reaction Score
He should go now! But, it won't happen. We do not have the luxury of waiting because he is doing irreparable harm to our program. Perhaps if we were in a P-5 conference already we could be patient. Since we're not, dramatic and dynamic action is needed. If we lose to Maryland and get thumped by Big Blue, he has to go. I say can PP and make sure the door is shown to GDL too! Appoint an interim coach to show the powers that be that UConn is serious about improvement. The big question is whether WM has the grapes to do it. I am doubtful for a whole host of reasons, but we'll have to wait and see.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
You lost me at #1. If Edsal had remained, I have serious doubts we'd be any better off.

1. [ ] He has embarrassed Uconn Football since he has become coach (that's a fact!).
    [ ]He anointed GDL to be coaching royalty, despite the fact that whatever GDL's touches turns to trash ( see OL that has become one of the worst in all of college football! Offense for 2 years under GDL's enlightened leadership .)
    [ ]As a rule, he elicits no passion from his team, No energy, No emotion. (Emotion wins football games.)
    [ ]He refuses to make adjustments to his coaching strategy.
    [ ]His team is always seems to be unprepared, mistake prone, and finds ways to lose games.
    [ ]He seemingly does not reward merit, but relies on his guys!
    [ ]He coaches as if it were still the 1990's.
    [ ]The Fan-base is really tired of his sh@t!!
    [ ]He has ran out of excuses.
    [ ]He tries to portray that he is building the program, but everyone knows he is building the program's tombstone.

Reaction Score
So in order to salvage whatever incoming freshman we may risk losing by canning P before signing day you are willing to let basically any other quality HC candidate land somewhere else?

The conference effects UCONN recruiting. CR effects UCONN recruiting. 10 wins, 14 losses, and uninspired boring play,over the last two seasons, effect UCONN recruiting. A loss to a 1AA effects UCONN recruiting. The media's perception of, and the way it (rightfully, for a change) portrays, UCONN FB effects UCONN recruiting. The dismal condition (see above) of the overall UCONN FB Product effects UCONN recruiting. Rightly or wrongly, PP is the symbol of our demise.

The first step for getting out of a hole as deep as the hole we're in is the establishment of "hope." PP is so toxic that his removal would provide hope.

A word of advise to WM and SH. GDL is not a viable interim coach option, please.

pj

Reaction Score

We've got a tiny class this year, most are grey shirts who will start school Jan 1 or Connecticut kids loyal to the program or out of state kids who have no other high level offers. Most will probably be happy to have a new coach.

The best head coaching candidates get scooped up in December. They can't even wait until Jan 1 when PP's buyout goes down, they have to get rid of him in December so they can draw from the best pool.

Reaction Score

do you realize any coach worth getting will have gone somewhere else by signing day? the best candidates will go between thanksgiving and new years, so it would be idiotic to wait any longer than that

Reaction Score
Nothing wrong with talking to potential coaches behind the scenes, get the signatures of the recruits, then bye bye HCPP.

Reaction Score
Nothing wrong with talking to potential coaches behind the scenes, get the signatures of the recruits, then bye bye HCPP.

?? You still don't get that incoming commits cannot sign their NLI until 2/5/2014 ??

You want WM to give a potential new hire an IOU?

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score

So quality candidates (who will also be pursued by other schools and given actual offers) need to take themselves off the market for a wink and a nod from WM with the hope that two months down the road he'll be the one that we pick.

Who exactly is in this recruiting class that you are afraid to lose, the next Bo Jackson? The next John Elway?

pj

Reaction Score

That's not how it works. An attractive coach is not going to turn down firm offers to wait on a possible offer from UConn. Any new coach will want to hire his own assistants and the time for hiring assistants is December-January. If we waited until February to change head coaches, there would be no way for the new coach to hire his preferred assistants.

Schools with 30 highly regarded recruits don't hold off on coaching changes out of fear of losing recruits. UConn this year has a tiny class of 10 2* and 3* players with few other offers. If ever there was a year when a coaching change would minimal impact on recruiting, this is it.

Moreover, not one recruit has said he committed because of a desire to play for P. They are aware of the situation and may be more eager to come here if the coaching staff changes.

Reaction Score
Lyle did do a decent job but he's numbers could have been better with a little variety. Also, Lyle probably should have had a rushing TD.
Variety would be nice, but when your number one HB averages 4.5 a carry.....you don't change much. Our coach sucks, but his utilization of LM was not the issue last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom