#1 WNBA Draft Pick: A'Ja or Gabby or Someone Else? | The Boneyard

#1 WNBA Draft Pick: A'Ja or Gabby or Someone Else?

Reaction Score
Las Vegas has the first pick.

I think A'Ja Wilson will develop into a fine "big" in the WNBA, but the WNBA has many established "bigs" already, so I don't see her dominating until a few years have passed, if ever.

I'm ignorant of international prospects, but I've seen Kelsey Mitchell and Diamond Deshields play, and I would take Gabby Williams over A'Ja, Kelsey or Diamond. Gabby will be a star from Day 1 in the WNBA, in my opinion, because of her otherworldly physical gifts...and her mid-range jumper. She will be able to get her mid-range shot off against anyone, anywhere, anytime. No one who can run with her can come close to her elevation and hang time. Also, her "ticky-tack" foul calls in college won't be called in the rougher professional game. Barring injury, I think she'll shine in the WNBA from Day 1.

However, I bow to those of you with more knowledge and insight. Please share.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
On record in an earlier thread as saying A'Ja Wilson and after seeing her play against the Irish in the "Gulf Coast Classic" this past weekend, I'll stick with that.

- She's going to take some time to develop into her professional self, so to speak, but her collegiate one is pretty darn good.
- Remember who is doing the picking: this is Bill Laimbeer, one of the founding fathers of the Bruise Brothers, the GM who likes to load up on big after big. And he loved working with Ms. Charles in NYC.
- The Stars could use a Gabby, for sure (who couldn't?) but they've got three guards and taking an A'ja Wilson puts them in much better shape up front.

HGN

Reaction Score
I think A'ja will be the #1 pick ,( unless there is some concern over her often injured ankles), based on size and talent.....Gabby has an outside chance at #1 based on athleticism , hustle , and potential.
Her mid-range jumper is not there yet , but is coming along. and she plays great defense. If a team feels they can develop her shot further she could be the #1 if a team doesn't want to risk taking A'ja because of potential ankle
problems..........Mitchell and Diamond pose the same problems in my opinion.....CAN THEY PLAY WITHOUT THE BALL? Neither is a true point guard but wants to dominate the ball. Both are talented but
the question is , can they play defense well enough and contribute to a team without dominating the ball.

If a team needs a Big it will take A'ja. If it needs a defensive stalwart at the 2, 3, or 4 , it will take Gabby. Or if you want scoring they could take DD or Mitchell.

Who knows.

Reaction Score
I have no doubt that A'ja will be Nevada's first pick. Her position as a post-up center is in demand and she has no equal.
I am as much of a fan of Gabby as anyone but I think the pro league puts a premium on putting the ball in the hoop and, as such, Kelsey Mitchell will be the second player selected, IMHO.

Reaction Score
I also think that A'ja will likely be the number one pick. Too many offensive weapons. And as Geno said in one of his recent post-game pressers, the game is all about offense these days.

What I'm really curious about is where Nurse gets selected. I'm optimistic and think she'll get picked early in the second round, maybe even sooner!

Reaction Score
I must say I think this is a very easy decision. Of course Las Vegas will take Wilson. They have 3 young guards in Mo, Plum, and McBride. They desperately need a big. End of story. I am not getting into the unanswerable argument of who is better -- Wilson or Gabby. Wilson is better for Las Vegas now.

Reaction Score
I absolutely love EVERYTHING about Williams. She is one of the hardest working and athletically explosive players as you will ever see. With that being said, her game does not translate well to the WNBA level. She is just too undersized to compete in the post at the next level. She also does not have the handle or 3 pt jump shot needed to compete with most wings/guards. I think it is going to be tough for Williams to find her niche in the WNBA and that is why Wilson will be the #1 pick in the draft.

Reaction Score
I also think that A'ja will likely be the number one pick. Too many offensive weapons. And as Geno said in one of his recent post-game pressers, the game is all about offense these days.

What I'm really curious about is where Nurse gets selected. I'm optimistic and think she'll get picked early in the second round, maybe even sooner!
Kia is the most consistent player so far. She is the most under-rated UConn player.
She may not be the first WNBA pick but I think she should be in the top 10.

Reaction Score
Many tend to look at the draft as "Who is the best player?" but it is often more complicated. We need to keep in mind that the order of draft also reflects team needs.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I will be very disappointed if Kia Nurse did not go in the first round!!! In the right situation KN will do extremely well!!!

If she maintains a 3pt % > 40% and demonstrates a bit of a mid range game for variety, I think she would easily go in the first round since she has all the other tangibles and intangibles.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Pick The Gabulous One and bring her back home!!!!!

Gabby will put fannies in the seats....local girl will be worth every penny they spend on her. This is why Las Vegas will pick Gabby first over Wilson

Gabby's hometown Sparks, NV is approximately 450 miles (~ 7 hours) away from Vegas. That's like saying Megan Walker from Richmond, VA is playing in her hometown of Storrs, CT because it's about the same distance.

Reaction Score
If Azura stays consistent and plays like the other day and after Uconn wins the NC! If she decides to leave early. I would take Azura Stevens!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Wilson will probably go #1. As others have pointed out, Gabby needs to be a little more consistent with her mid-range jumper. Other than that, there’s not a single WNBA franchise that wouldn’t want Gabby on their team.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If Azura stays consistent and plays like the other day and after Uconn wins the NC! If she decides to leave early. I would take Azura Stevens!
Azura played well against Michigan State, got plenty of help and UCONN won. A'ja put up better numbers against ND got no help and lost. When UCONN wins the championship Azura's role will likely not be as large as Wilson's was last year in the FF. This will not be a close decision even with Azura in the mix. It would take major foreign influence to displace A"ja from the number 1 WNBA draft spot.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
No question it’s going to be Wilson. She’s the perfect faceup 4 prospect for the W and has been tearing up the collegiate game this year. She has the size, length, athleticism, and offensive skills to really excel as a pro. She isn’t afraid to get physical inside and has become a workhorse for SC.

Gabby is great, but she won’t be the first pick next year.

Reaction Score
Gabby's hometown Sparks, NV is approximately 450 miles (~ 7 hours) away from Vegas. That's like saying Megan Walker from Richmond, VA is playing in her hometown of Storrs, CT because it's about the same distance.
Well CT and VA are different states that aren't even near each other. NV is Gabby's home state so it's a little different.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Well CT and VA are different states that aren't even near each other. NV is Gabby's home state so it's a little different.
Well, ...we do have some pretty large and diverse states in this union of ours. If you get in your car and drive 7 hours most people would not consider themselves at home (anything) anymore regardless of how many state lines you cross to get there.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
A'ja! By a mile! Don't see Gabby being a star right away in the WNBA because she doesn't have a natural position.

Also her athleticism may not be better than a number of existing players in WNBA. During the Michigan State game I recall, I think Lobo, saying one of the WNBA representatives saying Gabby is definitely the best player on the court currently but she may not be the best player on the court in the WNBA. I assume he/she is referring to her athleticism.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom