1 star surrounded by a cast of limited players | Page 2 | The Boneyard

1 star surrounded by a cast of limited players

Status
Not open for further replies.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Where was Jalen against Wagner and Northeastern when we had Larrier and Alterique? How on earth did Ollie not extract any of this out of Jalen against those scrub teams.

don't know, trying to get others involved? not yet realizing he's the alpha dog?

we only know he seems to have found his comfort zone

not that it's saying much, but we roll both those teams without Larrier and Alterique AND Jalen playing the way he's playing now

Reaction Score
If our guys could play 40 minutes of defense, especially on the perimeter we will win 20+ games from here on out. Come in off the ledge. It's all about defense. I think the offense will improve.

Reaction Score
Jalen is a superstar but he is surrounded by players who are limited.

Brimah: has terrible hands and is a poor rebounding big man.

Kentan: simply disappears most of the game.

Purvis: still can't dribble 5 years in and is not only a below average 3 point shooter but someone who shoots a lot of 3s.

Vital: Below average athleticism who has trouble finishing around the rim and is considered a "shooter" but has the lowest shooting percentage on the team.

Enoch: makes a lot of bone headed mistakes, and seems to average a foul per minute.

Jackson: has limited athleticism.

Juwan: I think he has good skill set but seems to be limited from his recovery from 2 ACL years, and is very thin for a big man.

We need Jalen to continue to be aggressive on the offensive end. Even more so as the season progresses. For the best interest of the team the others players should view themselves as a supporting cast with their main focus being on rebounding and not taking terrible shots that kill runs.

Hoping Alterique heals quickly!
Accept it man it's a lost regular season. Don't point blame at the current roster like this is the team we rolled out from day one. Not many teams can survive losing the conferences Rookie of the year and a projected 1st NBA round pick in the span of two games.

Jalen is the alpha and he'll have to shoulder the load from here on out, there's no denying that. Rather than call out guys like Vital and Vance limited, I look forward to watching them gain valuable burn for the rest of the season. These guys are 4 year players and this will only help their development.

This season has been nothing short of nightmare, but be realistic from here on out.

Purvis: still can't dribble 5 years in and is not only a below average 3 point shooter but someone who shoots a lot of 3s.

Vital: Below average athleticism who has trouble finishing around the rim and is considered a "shooter" but has the lowest shooting percentage on the team.

Enoch: makes a lot of bone headed mistakes, and seems to average a foul per minute.

Juwan: I think he has good skill set but seems to be limited from his recovery from 2 ACL years, and is very thin for a big man.

We need Jalen to continue to be aggressive on the offensive end. Even more so as the season progresses. For the best interest of the team the others players should view themselves as a supporting cast with their main focus being on rebounding and not taking terrible shots that kill runs.

Here is my cut on this. First, I have a long way to go before I form any conclusions on our young players.

I fully agree on Purvis. At best he is a double-edged sword. Has little understanding of the game, makes poor decisions and keeps making terrible passes including those dumb cross court ones. If I am KO, I put him on a very short leash and yank him every time he screws up. Ultimately, for this year, I think Vitale must start to play more minutes than Purvis and we will get a better idea of what he can do. Purvis is bad for my health.

I have given up on Facey. I love the kid, but its over. Use Enoch and Durham as much as possible. I think they will both get better. At least there is hope. And then maybe even Diarra if he gets healthy.

I think Jackson has a great upside. The more he plays the more confidence he will develop. Right now I see him as unsure and tentative. He definitely has the potential to become our #2 scorer. I like him a lot.

Jalen is a stud and will keep us in many games. Thank the Lord. Brimah is Brimah. He plays hard all the time and I think he is improved over last year--rebounding wise and his overall knowledge of the game. If he can give us some 10/10 games when it counts, and generally come close, I will be thrilled.

And lets pray that Alterique and Larrier come back healthy and ready to roll next year.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Christian Vital is actually a good athlete. He had a couple of very tough finishes against perhaps the best shot-blocker in closeted basketball. They way he hustled and sacrificed his body over and over was special. He frequently dunks with ease during the warm-up line, and he had an impressive, high-flying block today.

Seeing the game up close the last three days, I have come to appreciate Kentan Facey more than I did. He scraps and hustles and deflects a lot of balls. His below average hands still hurt him and the offense is ham-strung when he plays with another big.

Vance and Juwan have significant basketball skills. Think Juwan will improve a lot over the course of the season.

Reaction Score

I get your point but like housekeys I think we need to reel back on the kid thrown into the fire. They were going to be pieces and now they are full fledged contributors, some nights more successful than others and it will be like that for a while. But yeah, your point is well taken.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Agree on Oriakhi but Okwandu was the only senior who got real minutes. That team really was Kemba and a bunch of freshman.
True. Chuck did come in and do well. Knew his limitations and helped the team. Same with bev

Last edited:

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
On Brimah. Anyone who feeds Brimah on anything other than a lob is at fault.
Vance has a much athleticism as Giffey.
Vital hasn't played enough.
Enoch should only play in the 2/3 zone.
Purvis is Purvis.
The Tampa kid needs to start and also play in the zone using his height.

Reaction Score
On Brimah. Anyone who feeds Brimah on anything other than a lob is at fault.
Vance has a much athleticism as Giffey.
Vital hasn't played enough.
Enoch should only play in the 2/3 zone.
Purvis is Purvis.
The Tampa kid needs to start and also play in the zone using his height.

I just need to know, when/why did everyone start calling Durham "The Tampa Kid."

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Man this board has become insufferable lately. Who knew what a few L's can do to you...Head bang

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
I don't think everyone calls him that, just pnow15 because he's an incredible idiot. We're talking about a guy who thinks Ollie needs to specifically recruit more white players.

White players make up about 40% of the decent college players. If you never recruit a white player, you are missing out of 40% of the available talent pool.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I like the posters who keep making Vital Italian (Vitale)

Reaction Score
Doesn't matter in college all that much. Look at Kyle Wiltjer. An all American candidate last year and he had zero athleticism. He couldn't jump on a friggen trampoline.

Hell, we had this guy named Shabazz who couldn't dunk on a fisher price rim, and he was pretty special.

Reaction Score
Hell, we had this guy named Shabazz who couldn't dunk on a fisher price rim, and he was pretty special.
Actually...
DWz8KfM.png

Reaction Score
haha ... more White guys.

I feel the same way as before Maui. I like the 5 Freshman ... and I like (and am sad) Terry Larrier. Not a miss on any of them. They will develop ... WE are a development Program; not a one & done kinda thing. Enoch? I am influenced by many here; but, I think that kid has some attributes that you can't teach. He is limited now because he really did not play EVER at a high level until a few years ago. You can see him puzzled; but he is not a big stiff by any stretch. And Jalen Adams let loose ... didn't he.

Brimah is playing marginally better as a Senior. Facey and Purvis, as I noted, are clearly disappointments. Purvis is a Ferrari as a stud athlete and was always ahead of kids his age on the court; however, he is not a hoop athlete. He is fast, strong, bullish, (occasionaly good defensively) ... and you will see him get in rhythm and score 20. But, he is not a high level hoopster.

WE have 11 kids from RSo to incoming. Ollie did well in recruiting. Will we see some Pop beyond the typical college player? Yes ... that's what Adams is now showing. And I think Vance Jackson can be a mid-teen scorer (in college); Vital is better than expected and can play solid 20 minutes; Durham has skills and may be vastly improved in 2 years. Peg this a development year and expect a good 2-4 to be far better by March

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Lol Can't compare anyone to kemba or compare to that season. He also had a low post threat in AO who boarded as well. And seniors who knew their roles. Also a healthy team

And this team doesn't have a guy like Roscoe. And Kemba was a jr. Sophomore Kemba would have won 15 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom