1 star surrounded by a cast of limited players | The Boneyard

1 star surrounded by a cast of limited players

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Jalen is a superstar but he is surrounded by players who are limited.

Brimah: has terrible hands and is a poor rebounding big man.

Kentan: simply disappears most of the game.

Purvis: still can't dribble 5 years in and is not only a below average 3 point shooter but someone who shoots a lot of 3s.

Vital: Below average athleticism who has trouble finishing around the rim and is considered a "shooter" but has the lowest shooting percentage on the team.

Enoch: makes a lot of bone headed mistakes, and seems to average a foul per minute.

Jackson: has limited athleticism.

Juwan: I think he has good skill set but seems to be limited from his recovery from 2 ACL years, and is very thin for a big man.

We need Jalen to continue to be aggressive on the offensive end. Even more so as the season progresses. For the best interest of the team the others players should view themselves as a supporting cast with their main focus being on rebounding and not taking terrible shots that kill runs.

Hoping Alterique heals quickly!

Reaction Score
Jalen is a superstar but he is surrounded by players who are limited.

Brimah: has terrible hands and is a poor rebounding big man.

Kentan: simply disappears most of the game.

Purvis: still can't dribble 5 years in and is not only a below average 3 point shooter but someone who shoots a lot of 3s.

Vital: Below average athleticism who has trouble finishing around the rim and is considered a "shooter" but has the lowest shooting percentage on the team.

Enoch: makes a lot of bone headed mistakes, and seems to average a foul per minute.

Jackson: has limited athleticism.

Juwan: I think he has good skill set but seems to be limited from his recovery from 2 ACL years, and is very thin for a big man.

We need Jalen to continue to be aggressive on the offensive end. Even more so as the season progresses. For the best interest of the team the others players should view themselves as a supporting cast with their main focus being on rebounding and not taking terrible shots that kill runs.

Hoping Alterique heals quickly!
Alterique needs to have surgery, wait til next season.

Reaction Score
None of the healthy players besides Jalen (so not counting Terry, AG, or Durham) have star potential but a lot of these guys can be very good role players. Its on the coach to put them in the right roles (and just gaining experience).

Reaction Score
Our young players should be exempt from any criticism. Especially with the injuries causing players role to change from what was expected.

Look at what I wrote regarding our young guys:

"Juwan: I think he has good skill set but seems to be limited from his recovery from 2 ACL years, and is very thin for a big man."
Thats not criticism. Its a fact that he is recovering from 2 ACL tears and is likely limited from his recovery. He is also lanky making him limited when guarding opposing big guys who are bigger than him. These are limitations, and doesn't make him a terrible player. In fact, as I wrote, I actually think he looks to be a skilled big man.

"Jackson: has limited athleticism." Thats not going to change, you are born with what you got. Its not a criticism its a characteristic of his game, which does indeed limit what he can do, especially against athletic teams. He can develop into a good player with his shooting form, but for this year he is limited.

"Vital: Below average athleticism who has trouble finishing around the rim and is considered a "shooter" but has the lowest shooting percentage on the team." He is not going to get anymore athletic. I like the kids moxy but he has trouble making layups. Statistically he is also the teams worst shooter. I remember one of Vitals tweet in which he said a video clip of Steph curry's ascension in bball reminded him so much of himself. Ah thats great that he has a lot of confidence but harmful for the team for him to put up shots to prove he is a star.

Not every player has the skill set to be a star. You don't have to be a spectacular player to help make the team better. Players who ignore their limitations and play outside of their roles can hurt the team. As Izzo said a great team has leaders who can lead and followers who can follow.

Remember Brimah called a players meeting in which the main point was for players to be selfless and focus on the team as opposed to individual goals. For the sake of the team I am hoping players not named Jalen Adams play more like followers and resist the impulse to fill stats or show "what they have."

Jalen has the ability to carry the team on his back, but he needs support from the back and have the other players play within their limits and roles.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
The one person that NEVER contributes anything at anytime is KF. At this point, he shouldn't see the court as part of the regular rotation.

I always believed he was going to be good, I think he's just too messed up in the head and it's time to stop thinking he's going to change

I'll always remember the game he had against Dook in the Izod, but that's it, but absolutely nothing since

Reaction Score

"Juwan: I think he has good skill set but seems to be limited from his recovery from 2 ACL years, and is very thin for a big man."
Thats not criticism. Its a fact that he is recovering from 2 ACL tears and is likely limited from his recovery. He is also lanky making him limited when guarding opposing big guys who are bigger than him. These are limitations, and doesn't make him a terrible player. In fact, as I wrote, I actually think he looks to be a skilled big man.

"Jackson: has limited athleticism." Thats not going to change, you are born with what you got. Its not a criticism its a characteristic of his game, which does indeed limit what he can do, especially against athletic teams. He can develop into a good player with his shooting form, but for this year he is limited.

"Vital: Below average athleticism who has trouble finishing around the rim and is considered a "shooter" but has the lowest shooting percentage on the team." He is not going to get anymore athletic. I like the kids moxy but he has trouble making layups. Statistically he is also the teams worst shooter. I remember one of Vitals tweet in which he said a video clip of Steph curry's ascension in bball reminded him so much of himself. Ah thats great that he has a lot of confidence but harmful for the team for him to put up shots to prove he is a star.

Not every player has the skill set to be a star. You don't have to be a spectacular player to help make the team better. Players who ignore their limitations and play outside of their roles can hurt the team. As Izzo said a great team has leaders who can lead and followers who can follow.

Remember Brimah called a players meeting in which the main point was for players to be selfless and focus on the team as opposed to individual goals. For the sake of the team I am hoping players not named Jalen Adams play more like followers and resist the impulse to fill stats or show "what they have."

Jalen has the ability to carry the team on his back, but he needs support from the back and have the other players play within their limits and roles.
Well then, we agree. They are not perfect, but their youth gives us hope; that is all I am saying.

Reaction Score

Doesn't matter in college all that much. Look at Kyle Wiltjer. An all American candidate last year and he had zero athleticism. He couldn't jump on a friggen trampoline.

Reaction Score
This is Boatright's Senior season redux. But Jalen come Conference time he will have a little more to work with.

This is not going to be our season, but our future looks very bright and certainly the potential to return to stellar regular season records with AAC domination. This is contingent on Jalen staying for at least one more year. 2016-2017 season to me is about foundation building, especially with our freshman.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Doesn't matter in college all that much. Look at Kyle Wiltjer. An all American candidate last year and he had zero athleticism. He couldn't jump on a friggen trampoline.

Limited is not the same as "bad." A limited player only becomes a "bad" player when he disregards his limitations and tries to do too much. As I said Vance can develop into a good player with his shooting form but right now he is not shooting well from the arc, and he is no Kyle Wiltjer.

As fans we can have an objective analysis of the players. Not everyone has the same god given natural skills and athleticism as Jalen. Not everyone is a star, and its ok to say that. The young guys can certainly become good players as the become upperclassmen but from an objective lens currently Jalen is surrounded by players who have limited games. They simply need to play within their skill set and roles, thats all.

I want more of the support guys to dive for loose balls, and look less to make a deep three to be a hero. The only person I saw dive to the floor today was Jalen Adams and that is the problem!

Reaction Score
Limited is not the same as "bad." A limited player only becomes a "bad" player when he disregards his limitations and tries to do too much. As I said Vance can develop into a good player with his shooting form but right now he is not shooting well from the arc, and he is no Kyle Wiltjer.

As fans we can have an objective analysis of the players. Not everyone has the same god given natural skills and athleticism as Jalen. Not everyone is a star, and its ok to say that. The young guys can certainly become good players as the become upperclassmen but from an objective lens currently Jalen is surrounded by players who have limited games. They simply need to play within their skill set and roles, thats all.

I want more of the support guys to dive for loose balls, and look less to make a deep three to be a hero. The only person I saw dive to the floor today was Jalen Adams and that is the problem!
Where was Jalen against Wagner and Northeastern when we had Larrier and Alterique? How on earth did Ollie not extract any of this out of Jalen against those scrub teams.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Where was Jalen against Wagner and Northeastern when we had Larrier and Alterique? How on earth did Ollie not extract any of this out of Jalen against those scrub teams.
Probably not looking for his shot or the ball. Especially with alterique and larrier there

Reaction Score
Lol Can't compare anyone to kemba or compare to that season. He also had a low post threat in AO who boarded as well. And seniors who knew their roles. Also a healthy team
Good point, and it's a much bigger deal than most think to not have an AO banger down there... affects all aspects of the game big time.

Reaction Score
Lol Can't compare anyone to kemba or compare to that season. He also had a low post threat in AO who boarded as well. And seniors who knew their roles. Also a healthy team
Agree on Oriakhi but Okwandu was the only senior who got real minutes. That team really was Kemba and a bunch of freshman.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
This post makes it like this was the team that KO and staff trotted out from day 1. Give me a break.

Vance and Vital are totally exempt from any criticism so far this year IMO. They are freshmen thrust into more minutes due to injuries and overall have handled it very well.

Facey flat out is a magician and his only tick is the disappearing act every game. As Durham gets more acclimated, I fully expect him to take over more minutes at the 4.

Brimah is what he is and if you can't comprehend that by now then I don't know what to tell you.

Let's just hope Jalen doesn't dominate like this for the rest of the season otherwise we will have a lost season on our hands and will be losing our best player come season end to the draft. If only we had this Jalen the 1st two games of the year we would still have a chance at this year.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Jalen was better than good this tournament - at times his offense amazed me
But to me, superstar, means just that - super in all areas.
JA needs a lot of work on his defense, he loses concentration, plays D back on his heels and uses his hands a lot more than his feet. He needs to be more of a leader to be a superstar in the position he is playing. He needs to lead more vocally and do less yelling and pouting (this has improved).
Again, he was a magician on offense the past 2 games and I am hoping this is his coming out party.
I am just not ready to pin that lofty tag on him at this time and don't see him as a 1st round pick quite yet
If he keeps this up AND shares the ball - watch out - the sky is the limit

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Pretty sure I saw Vance and CV getting down into the scrum a couple of times.

Reaction Score
This post makes it like this was the team that KO and staff trotted out from day 1. Give me a break.

Vance and Vital are totally exempt from any criticism so far this year IMO. They are freshmen thrust into more minutes due to injuries and overall have handled it very well.

Facey flat out is a magician and his only tick is the disappearing act every game. As Durham gets more acclimated, I fully expect him to take over more minutes at the 4.

Brimah is what he is and if you can't comprehend that by now then I don't know what to tell you.

Let's just hope Jalen doesn't dominate like this for the rest of the season otherwise we will have a lost season on our hands and will be losing our best player come season end to the draft. If only we had this Jalen the 1st two games of the year we would still have a chance at this year.

Tell me how you would interpret my post as putting any fault on the coaching staff? I have been a big KO supporter from the start and continue to be. I think we are very fortunate to have him as our coach.

You don't want Jalen to dominate like this for the rest of the season? Give me a break.

I want Jalen to dominate even more. It provides us with our best chance of winning games. I am not looking at this as a lost season. Still too early. If Jalen plays so well that he gets lottery pick hype I'll be even more happy. I love to see UConn players drafted in the 1st round to be able to make a good living and help their families out, while representing UConn in the NBA. For you to be rooting against that ... smh.

Reaction Score
Wow, when 2/3 best players on a team are injured, it's like the star and role players. Kinda like when LeBron lost Love and Irving.

What a revelation.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
Tell me how you would interpret my post as putting any fault on the coaching staff? I have been a big KO supporter from the start and continue to be. I think we are very fortunate to have him as our coach.

You don't want Jalen to dominate like this for the rest of the season? Give me a break.

I want Jalen to dominate even more. It provides us with our best chance of winning games. I am not looking at this as a lost season. Still too early. If Jalen plays so well that he gets lottery pick hype I'll be even more happy. I love to see UConn players drafted in the 1st round to be able to make a good living and help their families out, while representing UConn in the NBA. For you to be rooting against that ... smh.
Accept it man it's a lost regular season. Don't point blame at the current roster like this is the team we rolled out from day one. Not many teams can survive losing the conferences Rookie of the year and a projected 1st NBA round pick in the span of two games.

Jalen is the alpha and he'll have to shoulder the load from here on out, there's no denying that. Rather than call out guys like Vital and Vance limited, I look forward to watching them gain valuable burn for the rest of the season. These guys are 4 year players and this will only help their development.

This season has been nothing short of nightmare, but be realistic from here on out.

Reaction Score
Its disappointing that it took 3 and half games and 2 injuries for the staff and Jalen figure out that he could take over games. It seemed like AG had the ball in his hands more than Jalen did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom