#1 Seeds to be Announced on Wednesday | The Boneyard

#1 Seeds to be Announced on Wednesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Not sure what the point of this event is, but it's good they waited a month until Texas faded out of the Tournament instead of giving them a #1 seed. That would have been truly embarrassing.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I think this is a fun addition from a fan's perspective. Here are my thoughts:

Here are the locks:
Connecticut-winning by 40 ppg, dominating wins against Notre Dame and Duke, they've only had one competitive game all season and it was one they lost. Lock for #1 seed.

South Carolina-#1 undefeated team in the country. They will most likely get crushed by Connecticut, but even so, unless the wheels truly fall off they are a safe pick fo a #1, with good wins against Kentucky, DUke and Texas A&M.

Other contenders:
Notre Dame: They have the POY in Loyd and the nation's best freshman in Turner. They have a bad loss to Miami and were romped by UCONN, but they have great wins against Maryland, Tennessee, and North Carolina. If they can close out against Louisville and Duke, they'll be a lock.

Tennessee: I'd put them as the last #1 seed right now. They have big wins this year against Kentucky, Stanford, Rutgers, Oregon State and Texas A&M. Their losses look good now, too. Texas was a much better team when they faced Tennessee than they are now, they lost a hard fought game at Notre Dame and another one at Chattanooga who is ranked in the top 25 now. Those big wins I think boost their RPI and put them ahead of Baylor/Maryland/Oregon State. If they knock of South Carolina, I think they'll get it.

Baylor-These guys are hard to read. They haven't faced any good competition (top 20 caliber teams) besides Kentucky who beat Baylor by 10. They have fire power in their roster nad should be able to run the table through the rest of the season. Another loss by Tennessee might put Baylor ahead, but I just haven't seen enough in big moments to give Baylor a #1.

Oregon State-This is a very intriguing team. They have one loss on the season, which was at TBA against Tennessee. Big win against Arizona State and they seem to be in good shape to make it to the NCAA tournament with 1-3 losses. Blue collar recruits, they also return everyone next year...they'll be a team to watch out for. I think if they run the table and Tennessee loses a couple more, they'll deserve the 4th number 1 seed.

Maryland-They have some nice wins against Big Ten teams, but I have a hard time believing they're a #1 seed, as they were throttled by a Brianna Turner-less Notre Dame and only have wins against Big Ten foes.

My seeding rankings would be:
T1. South Carolina
T1. Connecticut
3. Notre Dame
4. Tennessee
5. Oregon State
6. Baylor
7. Maryland

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Count me as one who doesn't get the the point of this, but I'll give this a shot and see what it does (or doesn't do) for the sport.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ease-march-madness-tournament-seeds/22927943/

Will be interesting to see how Oregon State, Baylor, Lady Vols and ND stack up. Which two get the #1 seeds.

IMHO if they're going to do this, they should list all seeds instead of alphabetically after the #1 seeds are identified.

This seems a little odd. Only 4 teams make the CFB playoff, so it makes more sense for that sport. I guess they're trying to build interest in the tournament. Going back to home sites for the top 4 seeds should help early NCAAT attendance this season. Do you think the timing has anything to do with the USC/UCONN game on Monday night?

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Last year if they had held this event around now the #1 seeds would almost certainly have been picked as UConn, ND, Stanford, and Duke -- only two of whom ended up getting #1 seeds. Much can happen in next month, so seems kind of dumb, but I guess anything that raises the WCBB profile is okay.

Reaction Score
The article mentioned the top 20 teams can start preparing to promote & sell tix as home team for rounds 1 & 2!

These 20 teams will host the first- and second-round games, so the reveal will give the schools the opportunity to plan and make necessary arrangements to host the games

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
The article mentioned the top 20 teams can start preparing to promote & sell tix as home team for rounds 1 & 2!

These 20 teams will host the first- and second-round games, so the reveal will give the schools the opportunity to plan and make necessary arrangements to host the games

I've already bought my tickets for the first 2 rounds.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don't see a problem. At least you'll know where you stand. Gauge how the committee sees it now. If you need to do something to move up.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
South Carolina, Connecticut, Baylor and Notre Dame are the top four teams in the most recent USA TODAY Sports Coaches Poll.

There's your top 4 seeds. Unless Baylor loses this weekend, can't see how you move them down. Plus Maryland is ranked ahead of Tenn and only has 2 losses. Tenn's wins recently have been anything but impressive. 1 point over Kentucky, 8 over Georgia and 12 over Mississippi State.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I don't understand this? Are we already picking #1 seeds for NCAA tourney?

Is it just early seedings that can change over the next month?

What if South Carolina loses at UCONN and Tennessee and falls again in SEC tourney. Or Notre Dame loses another to an unranked acc team and the acc tourney?

Just curious

bballnut90

Reaction Score
South Carolina, Connecticut, Baylor and Notre Dame are the top four teams in the most recent USA TODAY Sports Coaches Poll.

There's your top 4 seeds. Unless Baylor loses this weekend, can't see how you move them down. Plus Maryland is ranked ahead of Tenn and only has 2 losses. Tenn's wins recently have been anything but impressive. 1 point over Kentucky, 8 over Georgia and 12 over Mississippi State.

I'd put Tennessee ahead of Baylor. Rankings don't always match seedings. Many times teams get inflated rankings due to their W-L rather than the quality of their wins and losses. That's the reason why SC is ranked over UCONN, but I doubt anyone on this board would argue that they should get the overall #1 over UCONN at this point.

At any rate, Tennessee has won 15 of their last 16, has 4 wins against top 15 teams and 3 victories over other ranked teams in Rutgers, Mississippi State, and Georgia.

Baylor's best win is a 2 point squeaker against #25 Syracuse, or their win against slumping Texas who will most likely be out of the top 25 in the next two weeks. The lost by 10 against Kentucky early in the season....they haven't done anything to show they are a #1 seed team. I'd rank Oregon State over them, too. At least OSU has some top 20 wins.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'd put Tennessee ahead of Baylor. Rankings don't always match seedings. Many times teams get inflated rankings due to their W-L rather than the quality of their wins and losses. That's the reason why SC is ranked over UCONN, but I doubt anyone on this board would argue that they should get the overall #1 over UCONN at this point.

At any rate, Tennessee has won 15 of their last 16, has 4 wins against top 15 teams and 3 victories over other ranked teams in Rutgers, Mississippi State, and Georgia.

Baylor's best win is a 2 point squeaker against #25 Syracuse, or their win against slumping Texas who will most likely be out of the top 25 in the next two weeks. The lost by 10 against Kentucky early in the season....they haven't done anything to show they are a #1 seed team. I'd rank Oregon State over them, too. At least OSU has some top 20 wins.
If you are going to go that far back (Kentucky) then you need to consider Tennessee's horrible loss to unranked Chatty. And no, Baylor's best win was NOT against Syracuse. They followed that up with a 19 point drubbing of then #18 MSU, and a week or 2 later a 16 point beatdown of then #18 OK State. They beat then #8 texas by almost 20 so if you rank OSU above Baylor then I guess you put them ahead of Tennessee too.

Georgia is awful. I mean come on - they beat Auburn by 5, and Vandy by 11. Their victory over aTm says more about how good (or bad) aTm is than how good Georgia is. I mean Auburn is just really really bad. Tenn beat them by 12. You beat Arkansas by 9. you beat Vandy by 8. These are just really bad teams. Sort of like UCONN beating Temple by 10-15 points. If that happened, UCONN fans would be going bananas. And beating Georgia by 8 is no feather in your cap. you can't pick and choose the "statistics" only when they suit your "cause".

Bottom line is that there aren't any elite teams like UCONN IMHO, and while I think overall SC and ND have been more impressive than any of the other top 10, I think Baylor has been more consistently impressive than Tennessee. And side note - Kentucky got pummeled by 21 points by Duke. LSU, in the thick of things in the SEC, lost to Tulane... I'm not saying those teams are bad, but to use wins by Tenn over ranked teams outside the top 8 or 10 (where there is a pretty steep drop off) is meh. I will say their win over OSU was impressive...

bballnut90

Reaction Score
"If you are going to go that far back (Kentucky) then you need to consider Tennessee's horrible loss to unranked Chatty. And no, Baylor's best win was NOT against Syracuse. They followed that up with a 19 point drubbing of then #18 MSU, and a week or 2 later a 16 point beatdown of then #18 OK State. They beat then #8 texas by almost 20 so if you rank OSU above Baylor then I guess you put them ahead of Tennessee too."

Losing to Chattanooga isn't as bad of a loss in hindsight. UT-Chat is 20-3 team ranked in the top 25 who also beat Stanford. They're a better team than Michigan State or Oklahoma State.

If Baylor's best wins are against Michigan State and Oklahoma State, two teams that will not make the NCAA tournament this year, then they surely do not deserve a #1 seed. Also, they caught Texas when they started their downward slide and Enemkpali went down with an ACL that game. Would Baylor have won that game had Enemkpali stayed healthy? Probably. But regardless, that Texas team had just loss two of their last three and wasn't the same team that beat Tennessee, A&M and Stanford in Palo Alto.

"Georgia is awful. I mean come on - they beat Auburn by 5, and Vandy by 11. Their victory over aTm says more about how good (or bad) aTm is than how good Georgia is. I mean Auburn is just really really bad. Tenn beat them by 12. You beat Arkansas by 9. you beat Vandy by 8. These are just really bad teams. Sort of like UCONN beating Temple by 10-15 points. If that happened, UCONN fans would be going bananas. And beating Georgia by 8 is no feather in your cap. you can't pick and choose the "statistics" only when they suit your "cause".

Georgia actually beat Michigan State earlier in the year, a team you referenced earlier in this post. And they're a better team than Oklahoma State. The win over Georgia was on par with any win Baylor has had this season, and Tennessee has 6 other wins against better teams.

Where did I pick and choose statistics to suit my cause? I stated that Tennessee has 7 wins over ranked teams, 4 of whom are in the top 15. And actually you picked and chose margins of victory to suit your cause. You can't analyze Tennessee without analyzing Baylor. Baylor had a 4 point victory against a slumping West Virginia team and two 8 point victories against Kansas, a team that lost to Alabama (1-8 in SEC play) earlier this season. These victories are less impressive than the ones you referenced.

At the end of the day, margin of victory doesn't matter for seedings like it does in football. Getting a #2 seed vs. a #1 doesn't eliminate your chances of competing for a championship like it did in football if you were the 5th best team in the country. But I stand by my point, Tennessee is more deserving of a #1 seed at this point in the season than Baylor.

"Bottom line is that there aren't any elite teams like UCONN IMHO, and while I think overall SC and ND have been more impressive than any of the other top 10, I think Baylor has been more consistently impressive than Tennessee. And side note - Kentucky got pummeled by 21 points by Duke. LSU, in the thick of things in the SEC, lost to Tulane... I'm not saying those teams are bad, but to use wins by Tenn over ranked teams outside the top 8 or 10 (where there is a pretty steep drop off) is meh. I will say their win over OSU was impressive..."

You can't have it two ways-that same mediocre Kentucky team has a 10 point win over Baylor, even if it was early in the season. If you don't consider it a good win for Tennessee, it's a bad loss for Kentucky. And I'm still not sure where there's a strong argument for Baylor to get a #1 over Tennessee or Oregon State, other than they haven't lost to any chippies on their schedule yet.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Good grief. You think Tenn already deserves a 1 seed. I disagree. Let's just leave it at that. I hope they meet UCONN in the NCAA's so we can club them like a baby seal for a 30+ point win!

We will know more Monday night after UCONN plays SC. But all we will really know is how much better than SC UCONN is. Will it be better by a ton, or better by a small margin? There's still a ton of hoops to be played. Tenn has had a ton of close games against mediocre competition lately, but if they sweep the SEC and beat SC twice, then they deserve a 1 seed. Hasn't happened but fortunately it will all become more clear by March...

Reaction Score
Let's not forget that TN's first two loses against UTC and Texas where when Izzy was sidelined with a knee injury. We might have still lost at Texas but no way we lose at Chatt.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I'm thinking that the old girl's network will give UTenn a #1 seed again that helps carry them through to another Sweet 16 loss. After all, no way they can lose at TBA.

I'm also thinking that if ten years ago I told the Summitteers that a team rated #6 in both polls, #7 in Sagarin, and #9 in Massey actually deserved a #1 seed, I would have been hooted off the side of the mountain with a few taunts about oil and creampuffs. Like a certain USCar fan you may point to the RPI index, and if you do, you will have proved that you topped out with a 2nd grade education down in Knoxville.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I'm thinking that the old girl's network will give UTenn a #1 seed again that helps carry them through to another Sweet 16 loss. After all, no way they can lose at TBA.

I'm also thinking that if ten years ago I told the Summitteers that a team rated #6 in both polls, #7 in Sagarin, and #9 in Massey actually deserved a #1 seed, I would have been hooted off the side of the mountain with a few taunts about oil and creampuffs. Like a certain USCar fan you may point to the RPI index, and if you do, you will have proved that you topped out with a 2nd grade education down in Knoxville.

It's sure gotten hot in here and I'm not even wearing earmuffs!

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
It's sure gotten hot in here and I'm not even wearing earmuffs!
Nah, USCar deserves a #1 seed if they take care of business down south. But pushing two SEC teams again for #1 seeds is just obscene. And look what happened last year when those two ill prepared teams were given #1 seeds and choked out in the Sweet 16. It's just not right to give teams more than they can handle.

Reaction Score
Last year the committee's system awarded 1 seeds to 2 SEC teams, despite the fact that the conference, despite putting up impressive RPI numbers, hadn't had a team good enough to get to the FF in 6 years. Both exited the tournament with 2 wins each. I would hope that the committee looks at the process used last year and alters it so as not to be embarrassed again.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Tenn definitely deserves a #1 seed over Baylor..... before tonight's loss, I'd have Oregon State over Baylor as well.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Unfortunately for many of the arguments being advanced, the issue is complicated both by injury situations (past and present) and the fact that, looking at certain specific games, you can get conflicting information.

I don't really have any problem with either Tennessee or Baylor as a tentative #1 seed at this point - or Maryland either. Well, let me put that differently. I'll be terribly unhappy if Maryland gets a #1 seed - but I don't have any problem if someone judges them worthy. My non-"fan" objection is that they really didn't play anyone OOC.

I'm not particularly buying into the "how much you beat someone by" theory. As someone said on the RU board after the horrid game against Nebraska, it isn't how, it is how many you win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom