Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
you don't use both time outs and try to convert 4 and 29

I'm sorry, that's just stupid

thank you Huskies, nice game

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Also, please try to avoid getting in 4th and 29 situations late in the game. It generally takes us an entire quarter to put up 30 yards, so I believe trying to do it all in one play is probably not a thing we can do on a regular basis.

Reaction Score
Thank you fish for pointing this out. What a crapshow of time management that was at the end.

Reaction Score
How close was that final play? Hard to see from my seat.

willie99

Reaction Score
even if they made the 4th and 29, using both timeouts to go for it was just plain silly

3 and out, you have the ball around your own 40 with 50 seconds needing a FG

much better option than converting 4th and 29, it's not even close

Reaction Score
3 yards.

Ah maybe if we didn't have false starts at home in key spots like its our job...

Also after those nice couple plays to start the final drive Whitmer had probably 15 yards of open field and throws it away. Then on the next play he gets thrashed around backwards for 10 yards instead of getting rid of it.

Reaction Score
No you go for the first down without calling time out at all.

Thank You! Punting or going for it is debatable, but you don't use either of your time outs when you go for it. By calling timeouts you gave Michigan an opportunity to set up their defense, in fact if you go for right away Michigan probably burns a timeout to set up their defense.

Stupid.

If that pass is completed 4 yards short and we have two timeouts we still have a chance.

Reaction Score
Yes, Whitmer threw it to a guy who wasn't yet over the first line marker, but my problems with Whitmer is that he throws deep on 3rd and 4.
And he never looks away and decides to go to the second option. (I know he doesn't have time for a full progression), but c'mon!

Reaction Score
Yes - you punt. Try to hold them to three and out, take your two timeouts, and get the ball back with 50 seconds left. If after the exchange of punts you have the ball on your own 30, you need around 40 yards for a tying FG attempt. Manageable with the college rules where the clock stops on first downs.

Certainly it is unlikely all that happens - but still more likely than a 30-yard gain on fourth down.

Once the first TO was called, though, the option was gone.

Reaction Score
Going into that end zone you need to be at the 25 to make a FG. Punting was hopeless. You had to go.

Fair point if wind was bad - didn't take that into account.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Fair point if wind was bad - didn't take that into account.

How the first question post game wasn't - coach why didn't you take the wind in the fourth quarter.

It was insanely stupid. UConn had maybe 50 yards into the wind in the game.

Reaction Score
How the first question post game wasn't - coach why didn't you take the wind in the fourth quarter.

It was insanely stupid. UConn had maybe 50 yards into the wind in the game.

Michigan won the toss and chose the side of the field giving UConn the ball.....

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Michigan won the toss and chose the side of the field giving UConn the ball.....

Michigan deferred until the second half. In the second half they took the ball. UConn chose ends.

willie99

Reaction Score
you might not want to give MI the ball and the wind to start the 3rd, that's a plausible explanation

but since games are won in the 4th, and the wind was such a factor, it's reasonable to argue otherwise as well

I still punt in that spot too. If it's harder to kick a FG, it's also harder to make a 4th and 29. I think if there were some statistical analysis, punting would yield a more probable result since 4th and 29 is almost never executed

Reaction Score
even if they made the 4th and 29, using both timeouts to go for it was just plain silly

3 and out, you have the ball around your own 40 with 50 seconds needing a FG

much better option than converting 4th and 29, it's not even close

You have your ball at the 25 with 30 seconds left. I did the calculations during the long timeouts, heh.

First, UConn was kicking into the wind, so expect a 30 yard punt and then a return punt from Michigan of 40 yards (that's how I got the 25 yard line). 10 seconds on UConn's punt takes you to 1:30. Then two plays run before timeouts takes you down another 15 seconds to 1:15. A third play of 5 seconds plus say 38 seconds (40 second clock) takes you to :32 seconds. The Michigan punt then takes you to around :25-:30 seconds.

Going for it was the right move, especially when you take into consideration the possibility of Michigan getting a first down.

The game was lost when Pasqualoni decided to stop blitzing a shell shocked QB. No one has ever shown Whitmer the same mercy. If you get gashed on a blitz, so what, you lose. The coaches shied away from what worked all game because of the Toussaint run for a TD. I tipped my cap to Michigan for that run, but there is no way that run changes my defensive playcalling. No way. Not against that QB.

If UConn sacks him prior to that long 3rd down completion, then Whitmer can turtle the rest of the game and not worry about throwing it up.

Reaction Score
You have your ball at the 25 with 30 seconds left. I did the calculations during the long timeouts, heh.

First, UConn was kicking into the wind, so expect a 30 yard punt and then a return punt from Michigan of 40 yards (that's how I got the 25 yard line). 10 seconds on UConn's punt takes you to 1:30. Then two plays run before timeouts takes you down another 15 seconds to 1:15. A third play of 5 seconds plus say 38 seconds (40 second clock) takes you to :32 seconds. The Michigan punt then takes you to around :25-:30 seconds.

Going for it was the right move, especially when you take into consideration the possibility of Michigan getting a first down.

The chances of Michigan fumbling the punt in that wind or then turning it over on the next three plays were much, much higher than completing 4th and 29. Gotta punt. Actually might not have been a bad idea to punt on third down after the false start made it 3rd and 17. Pretty good chance Mich would have been backed up. If the fielded the punt, they gotta run 3 plays with a loud, loud crowd deep in their own territory.

Reaction Score
The chances of Michigan fumbling the punt in that wind or then turning it over on the next three plays were much, much higher than completing 4th and 29. Gotta punt. Actually might not have been a bad idea to punt on third down after the false start made it 3rd and 17. Pretty good chance Mich would have been backed up. If the fielded the punt, they gotta run 3 plays with a loud, loud crowd deep in their own territory.

This is why Michigan would not have handled the punt at all.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Exactly you kick it they walk off the field. You can not punt there.

Reaction Score

No question a competent coaching staff would have ordered that (unlike returning a field goal with no blocking from nine yards deep in the end zone). But if they rush 11 with nobody deep go for the low-line-drive roller. Still more chance of success than converting 3rd and 17 or 4th and 29.

Reaction Score
PP probably thought he could use one of the many TOs he didn't use in previous games to try to get the ball back after they failed to get the first down.

Reaction Score
The time to use a timeout was on 3rd and 17. We needed to get some yards on that play. Did not look good getting to the line for that one, results. sack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom