1/17 Geno Show: Comments on Frosh, Especially Molly | The Boneyard

1/17 Geno Show: Comments on Frosh, Especially Molly

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
As usual, Geno had interesting comments on a lot of subjects on the 1/17 edition of the Geno Auriemma show. He was asked to evaluate the freshmen in comparison to his expectations for them. He said that (unlike in past years) only Crystal came in with expectations that she would be a major contributor. He said he wasn't surprised that she hadn't had 3 or 4 games like the Baylor game, because that's hard to do and Crystal isn't ready to be that consistent.

He said that the other two freshmen were not burdened with high expectations, unlike Crystal or last year's freshmen -- Lou and Napheesa. About Molly in particular, he said she spends an incredible amount of time on the floor practicing her skills (her shooting skills in particular), to the point where she is too tired to shoot well in the scrimmages during practice, in some cases. He said that for all the time she spends practicing her shot, he asks her why, when she gets the ball in games, she always dribbles or passes, and sometimes loses a scoring opportunity. He said that she really didn't have a good answer to that question.

He made an analogy to a complicated math problem in class that takes 5 steps to solve. Molly would do every one of the 5 steps correctly, and then write down the wrong answer. Whereas Napheesa would get each of the five steps wrong, but get the right answer.

He also said that he tells Molly and Kyla that he gets that they aren't as skilled as Lou and Pheesa, so he doesn't expect them to perform at the same level as freshmen. But what they aren't considering is that the opponents that they play against aren't nearly as good as Lou and Napheesa either, so they should be able to make successful plays against them.

So in the game tonight, I noticed that Molly actually did take two shots when she was open. She missed them both, but just taking them is a big positive step.

Although he didn't say it, I think Geno is optimistic that Molly will "get it" fairly soon. He clearly indicated that what is holding her back is not any inadequacy of physical skills, but just excess nerves and overthinking. At some point (maybe next year?), she should overcome these issues.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
As usual, Geno had interesting comments on a lot of subjects on the 1/17 edition of the Geno Auriemma show. He was asked to evaluate the freshmen in comparison to his expectations for them. He said that (unlike in past years) only Crystal came in with expectations that she would be a major contributor. He said he wasn't surprised that she hadn't had 3 or 4 games like the Baylor game, because that's hard to do and Crystal isn't ready to be that consistent.

He said that the other two freshmen were not burdened with high expectations, unlike Crystal or last year's freshmen -- Lou and Napheesa. About Molly in particular, he said she spends an incredible amount of time on the floor practicing her skills (her shooting skills in particular), to the point where she is too tired to shoot well in the scrimmages during practice, in some cases. He said that for all the time she spends practicing her shot, he asks her why, when she gets the ball in games, she always dribbles or passes, and sometimes loses a scoring opportunity. He said that she really didn't have a good answer to that question.

He made an analogy to a complicated math problem in class that takes 5 steps to solve. Molly would do every one of the 5 steps correctly, and then write down the wrong answer. Whereas Napheesa would get each of the five steps wrong, but get the right answer.

He also said that he tells Molly and Kyla that he gets that they aren't as skilled as Lou and Pheesa, so he doesn't expect them to perform at the same level as freshmen. But what they aren't considering is that the opponents that they play against aren't nearly as good as Lou and Napheesa either, so they should be able to make successful plays against them.

So in the game tonight, I noticed that Molly actually did take two shots when she was open. She missed them both, but just taking them is a big positive step.

Although he didn't say it, I think Geno is optimistic that Molly will "get it" fairly soon. He clearly indicated that what is holding her back is not any inadequacy of physical skills, but just excess nerves and overthinking. At some point (maybe next year?), she should overcome these issues.

I like Bent and I hope your optimism for next year proves true. But given the expected strength and depth of next year's roster, I wonder if she'll get much of a chance if she doesn't show significant improvement this spring, either in practice or in games.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately I don't see Molly or Kyla playing much more next year than they do this year. The team is just going to be way too deep. They won't be competing with Lou, Collier, Gabby, Kia, Crystal Dangerfield, AZ, Megan for time - they'll be competing with Butler, Touly, AEH, Lexi, and Coombs. Megan is probably going to get the bulk of any extra time on the floor. When you're the #1 recruit in the country you get to jump to the head of the line.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately I don't see Molly or Kyla playing much more next year than they do this year. The team is just going to be way too deep. They won't be competing with Lou, Collier, Gabby, Kia, Crystal Dangerfield, AZ, Megan for time - they'll be competing with Butler, Touly, AEH, Lexi, and Coombs. Megan is probably going to get the bulk of any extra time on the floor. When you're the #1 recruit in the country you get to jump to the head of the line.

Absolutely correct. Molly has some abilities, shooting doesn't appear to be one of them. Kyla just doesn't show much of anything. I expect either one of both of them to either redshirt (which won't make much difference in future playing time) or transfer.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Molly and Kyla will have one advantage over the frosh. They will have had one year of experience, so they will know the system and how hard to work. To what degree will that offset the greater ability and athleticism of the frosh?

I see Molly as being fairly close, but she needs to improve her confidence. Kyla is a bit of a tweener with limited agility. She will slip behind Azura and Batouly next year. Both are smart players who hustle. They need to improve and also learn to play to their strengths. Remember that it took Napheesa, Lou, and Gabby most of their first year to "get it."

If Meg plays hard, she'll be on the floor a lot. If she plays only later in the games, she can still score 15 points in the second half. Geno should be able to make her into an Olympian.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Absolutely correct. Molly has some abilities, shooting doesn't appear to be one of them. Kyla just doesn't show much of anything. I expect either one of both of them to either redshirt (which won't make much difference in future playing time) or transfer.
Molly has not taken enough shots for anyone to truly evaluate her shooting ability. Also, the moderators don't like posters speculating about possible transfers. But that is between you and them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom