1/1/23: Looking for answers to turnover issue following win over Marquette | Page 2 | The Boneyard

1/1/23: Looking for answers to turnover issue following win over Marquette

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
The turnover deniers who suggest “the issue will just go away“ when Azzi returns or that ”turnovers don’t really matter all that much” remind me of the iconic Alfred E. Neuman of Mad Magizine fame who’s life philosophy was “What, me worry?”
But 17 + turnovers a game are a serious problem because while you may still be able to win against good teams it will almost always be fatal against elite team.
Hey, I resemble that remark! But seriously, my philosophy is, what good will my worrying about it do? It won't change a thing.

Reaction Score
So you take the only two losses that UCONN has and use it.

I and lwrcasefaN were communicating about the effect of the number of turnovers relative to the opponents' number of turnovers. UCONN has two losses. In my opinion turnovers lost the game to Maryland (5 vs, 22). Maryland averages 1 point per an opponent's turnover. So if UCONN had 14 or fewer turnovers against the Terps, it is conceivable UCONN wins. Not to mention the points UCONN probably would have scored not having turned the ball over. I believe most of UCONN's turnovers are the result of ill conceived passes with a very high risk/reward ratio. So this example agreed with lwrcasefaN's “Sometimes it hurts them.”

UCONN had a large number of turnovers (15) against Notre Dame who had more turnovers (18). If UCONN had fewer turnovers the outcome would have still been a loss with a smaller MOV. In this case the extra three turnovers did not impair ND's effort. ND on that day was the better team excuses and rationalizations aside. So this example agreed with lwrcasefaN's “and sometimes it doesn't.”

This relaxing herbal tea starts with a blend of chamomile, spearmint and other soothing herbs with valerian for an especially calming cup. ;):rolleyes:
View attachment 82607
Yes,... but. IF Azzi were healthy for the final 3 quarters+ , surely the
score would have been different... maybe a W ???

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Stole this from someone (who cannot be named here)

In the 6 games were Muhl and Fudd both played - 14 to's per game
In the 7 games were either/or both Muhl and Fudd were missing - 20 to's per game.

Simple fix, just get Muhl and Fudd both playing.

Reaction Score
With all the answers offered up by the BY, I'm at a loss as to why Geno/CD can't fix the problem.

Yes I'm kidding :)
Geno/CD can't fix the problem because they are not the ones playing. But they have a lot more influence than internet posters, that is for sure.

Reaction Score
So you take the only two losses that UCONN has and use it.

I and lwrcasefaN were communicating about the effect of the number of turnovers relative to the opponents' number of turnovers. UCONN has two losses. In my opinion turnovers lost the game to Maryland (5 vs, 22). Maryland averages 1 point per an opponent's turnover. So if UCONN had 14 or fewer turnovers against the Terps, it is conceivable UCONN wins. Not to mention the points UCONN probably would have scored not having turned the ball over. I believe most of UCONN's turnovers are the result of ill conceived passes with a very high risk/reward ratio. So this example agreed with lwrcasefaN's “Sometimes it hurts them.”

UCONN had a large number of turnovers (15) against Notre Dame who had more turnovers (18). If UCONN had fewer turnovers the outcome would have still been a loss with a smaller MOV. In this case the extra three turnovers did not impair ND's effort. ND on that day was the better team excuses and rationalizations aside. So this example agreed with lwrcasefaN's “and sometimes it doesn't.”

This relaxing herbal tea starts with a blend of chamomile, spearmint and other soothing herbs with valerian for an especially calming cup. ;):rolleyes:
View attachment 82607
That was the game Azzi got hurt. And she was a major ball handler, not to mention they were a little down and had to readjust on the fly. - I also feel that Geno's fast pace play causes turnovers

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I may be wrong but I don’t remember much, if any, discussion about TOs last year, so let’s look at some stats.
Last year Uconn averaged 14 TOs per game, this year with all the personnel volatility 17.5. Meanwhile they are shooting better overall, 52% to 47, and from 3, 41% to 34, while averaging more points per game, 81 to 74, this year than last. Those stats all while playing a harder overall schedule because they have not ”padded“ stats by playing many of the weaker conference teams yet.
So if think 3.5 assists a game more while shooting better and scoring more against tougher overall competition justifies an “inexcusable“ and “unacceptable“ reaction, respectfully, we just disagree. Me, I think it is very much, much ado about nothing.
  • Maryland 85 UCONN 78
  • Difference 7
  • Maryland averages one point per opponent turnover
  • UCONN 22 turnovers
  • If UCONN reduced to a yet too high 14 turnovers Maryland scores 7 fewer points
  • Game is now tied 78-78
  • UCONN's FG% in this game was 53.4% so it is conceivable UCONN makes at least 3 two point baskets without the 7 turnovers.
  • Score is now UCONN 84 Maryland 78
  • What is meaningful is the fact a turnover occurred and Maryland gets a point and UCONN losses an opportunity to score. When they occur is irrelevant.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom