“We some killers,” he said. “We some dogs. It’s going to be fun.” Shreyas on Hawkins and the team | The Boneyard

“We some killers,” he said. “We some dogs. It’s going to be fun.” Shreyas on Hawkins and the team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
1655155111205.png
1655155180275.png

Reaction Score
Jelling together is going to be key to our success. We have a lot of new faces with but with experience. Should be an interesting season to say the least. Happy Hawkins thinks highly of the newbies.

Reaction Score
In todays world perhaps he could have used more politically correct words? Looking forward to see him blossom

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Can’t wait to see how he blossoms this year. He’s talented enough to be the best scorer in the Big East.

Want to see it happen and if it does, good for him putting in the work and improving.

As for me, I want to see him dribble against a D1 opponent in a real game.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
In todays world perhaps he could have used more politically correct words? Looking forward to see him blossom
and correct grammar also

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Want to see it happen and if it does, good for him putting in the work and improving.

As for me, I want to see him dribble against a D1 opponent in a real game.
From all the reports over the summer it seems like the team is aware of what their weakness are and working on them which is great to see.

To me, handles is probably one of the easiest issues to fix. Heck, look at Jaylen Brown from his rookie season to now. Hawk getting up to 190lbs is a great sign too.

Reaction Score
To me, handles is probably one of the easiest issues to fix. Heck, look at Jaylen Brown from his rookie season to now. Hawk getting up to 190lbs is a great sign too.
I agree with the first part. But the way Jaylen Brown's handle has looked in the playoffs that might not be the example you want to point out. :)

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I just want him around 10ppg on 40ish% shooting. The leading scorer should be Sanogo or Newton.

Reaction Score
Hawkins highs were VERY high last year... some huge 3s and that dunk against G'Town. Absolutely oozing potential, looks like his confidence is back and growing, cannot wait to see him break out this year (hopefully)

Reaction Score
I have to think a lot of ball handling is proprioception. In other words, a feel for the ball through drills that train your brain to know where the rock is without looking at or even hearing in some situations. Unless Hawk has some physical or neurological deficit (which I doubt he does), certain kinds of repetitive drills can make significant improvements in his coordination of movement and ball handling. I don't think he's far off from competent with the ball and most guys will never be elite ball handlers. But athletically and from a determination standpoint I'm betting he cuts those unforced turnovers by 50% each of the next 2 years. Based on nothing but our limited sample size and his stated goals. He's a guy that's easy to root for and I want to see him get that swagger back.

Reaction Score
I have to think a lot of ball handling is proprioception. In other words, a feel for the ball through drills that train your brain to know where the rock is without looking at or even hearing in some situations. Unless Hawk has some physical or neurological deficit (which I doubt he does), certain kinds of repetitive drills can make significant improvements in his coordination of movement and ball handling. I don't think he's far off from competent with the ball and most guys will never be elite ball handlers. But athletically and from a determination standpoint I'm betting he cuts those unforced turnovers by 50% each of the next 2 years. Based on nothing but our limited sample size and his stated goals. He's a guy that's easy to root for and I want to see him get that swagger back.
Speaking of repetitive drills, I recall Thabeet's having terrible hands like rocks, in his first year or maybe into the second, but one of the assistants had him sit on a chair and kept throwing the basketball at him. He improved his catching skills markedly.

In time, he could catch the ball in the post as well as any other skilled center.

Whatever drills improve ball handling and training the brain, will work for Hawkins if he focuses.

Reaction Score
Speaking of repetitive drills, I recall Thabeet's having terrible hands like rocks, in his first year or maybe into the second, but one of the assistants had him sit on a chair and kept throwing the basketball at him. He improved his catching skills markedly.

In time, he could catch the ball in the post as well as any other skilled center.

Whatever drills improve ball handling and training the brain, will work for Hawkins if he focuses.
I remember they used to make him grab sand in a bucket to improve his hands.

Those who last saw Thabeet as a gangly teen on Dar es Salaam's asphalt would be stunned by the way UConn has rebuilt him. Project Hasheem was an outside-the-box effort led by assistant Patrick Sellers, who forced Thabeet to strengthen his hands by digging them into tubs of sand and to master balance drills from pros as small as Steve Nash (who stands on one foot while palming weighted balls) and as tall as Yao Ming (who sits on a backless rolling chair and receives passes without toppling over) to develop a better post game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom