“The best four in the history of college basketball” | Page 2 | The Boneyard

“The best four in the history of college basketball”

Reaction Score
I would love to see us play Iowa and Clark and Bueckers. I’m old. When I was a UConn student. Wes Bialosuknia was our star, I think #3 scorer in the country. Rutgers had the #1 scorer in the country, Bobby Lloyd. We played them in Storrs near the end of the season when they needed to win to get an NIT invitation, a big deal back then. UConn won a close game and the two stars put on a show- . If I recall Wes scored 40 and Lloyd 39, Wes having a big first half and Lloyd the second. Seeing Paige and Caitlin on the same floor would be fun, win or lose.
We did play Iowa and Clark in Paige's freshman year I think.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Well I've said it several times this year but I'll say it this one last time for the season.

For the last several years I have turned off the TV audio and listened to the Varsity network audio broadcast. You can get that audio either on your phone or computer. Bob and Debbie are a joy to listen to due to their preparation and knowledge. Because they are doing an audio coverage they HAVE TO describe the action. They cannot go off on any unrelated stories or extended "color".

The only hitch is that you need to synch up the streamed audio with the TV video. Easy if you have a DVR as usually the video needs a slight delay. Occasionally the audio needs to be delayed and that is easy to do on the Varsity Network stream.

I'm telling you who can do this it is well worth it.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
It's all about the network's script. This year it's the Caitlin Clark show. I ignore it.

As to the announcers, in general, it's been poor and I'm being kind.

It is what it is.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
We did play Iowa and Clark in Paige's freshman year I think.
Yes. But a little different now. it would get a lot of attention.

ETA. Looked at the box. UConn won by 20, Clark had 21, Paige 18, but Christyn went off for 27.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Beth Mowins.....ugh. I cannot listen to her. Just horrid. Clueless 90% of the time.

I remember last year (maybe year before) after the tournaments, switch over to NCAA Softball to watch the UConn of Softball (Oklahoma.)

Imagine my dismay when one of the announcers was, yup, Beth Mowin. I literally almost hurled in my chair.....

ANyone worse then her? Maybe Deb Anotneli or that one announcer on ESPN that GUSHES BUCKETS whenever she talks about South Carolina. Forget her name.
I don't mind Mowins herself, it is the nonsense she gets into with her color commentator that can be annoying. As I watched all the games this weekend (or parts of all them), yes, there were clearly some awful blah-blah. At times, several announcers were better, including Mike Thibault, although I didn't watch a ton of the 3 games in Gonzaga. But what I saw, he was as usual, good, and paired with Ann Schatz I think,, who is a good play by play as far as it goes, but ok.

However - on softball - Mowins is far and away the best. She is, there are other good ones, but she played softball (may have played basketball for all I know) and is very smooth.

Reaction Score
I saw the discussion of the announcers after the game was over and realized that I must have tuned them out as I really could not recall anything except being frustrated that they had no idea that Nika had set a UConn record for assists. I listened for that. Nope never came until after the game I heard an aside to it perhaps from the sideline reporter. I was also now that I think about it frustrated by the constant mention of Clark in a game she was not even involved in. There was a lot of comparisons of Paige and Caitlin Yep they are both very good at what they do but what they do is different. I still remember enjoying watching the 2 of them win a gold a few years back.

Reaction Score
I went back and watched the replay, because I simply couldn’t believe that Mowins could say anything quite so stupid. I’m sad to say that she really did say it. If they were the best four in history of college basketball, you would think they would have at least one national championship to show for it.

Reaction Score
Beth Mowins.....ugh. I cannot listen to her. Just horrid. Clueless 90% of the time.

I remember last year (maybe year before) after the tournaments, switch over to NCAA Softball to watch the UConn of Softball (Oklahoma.)

Imagine my dismay when one of the announcers was, yup, Beth Mowin. I literally almost hurled in my chair.....

ANyone worse then her? Maybe Deb Anotneli or that one announcer on ESPN that GUSHES BUCKETS whenever she talks about South Carolina. Forget her name.
Beth Mowins not only the worst announcer of WBB but also of ALL sportscast. Just can't stand her fake, artificial to dramatize the super high pitch voice.... ugh!!

Reaction Score
Precisely. She must have left out the word Iowa. I'm betting that some sharp WCBB historian could come up with 100 better all-time senior foursomes (eliminates Stuelke by definition), men or women, and probably at least 10 from UConn alone.

Current UConn seniors (liberal interpretation of the word senior): Paige, Edwards, Nika and Audrey. I'd put them up against any 4 women who ever played at Iowa.
I doubt there are 100 better alltime senior foursomes because having exactly four seniors is somewhat uncommon. SCar last year had six seniors ( one redshirt transfer and one 5th year Covid player) . The core of Boston Cook Beal and Amihere was a 4 player recruiting class that graduated together. Excellent class but no where near the greatest. Iowa’s accomplishments don’t even match that group of four.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom