“Something special” with this years team | The Boneyard

“Something special” with this years team

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I’ve been drinking THAT kool-aid for the last 3 months. Based on coaches' interviews, player interviews, and beat writers/media articles, I’m convinced.

I commented back in late April that this could be by far the best team Geno has had since the Breanna Stewart era. The depth and talent of this team make them extraordinarily formidable.

A veteran-laden starting 5 led by a healthy Paige Bueckers, Azzi Fudd, and Aaliyah Edwards, will be a nightmare for opponents this season. Turnovers won’t be a problem this year for UConn. :cool:

Reaction Score
On the turnover question, Geno has long taught an assist driven game, and that hasn’t always meant a lot of turnovers. Some of the problem was over ambitious passing last season. But Nika’s a/to ratio was too good to account for the problem. We also had some fumbles among the bigs, especially early on. And Azzi had a lot of turnovers early on, even as she was dominating those games. I also think the turbulence in the lineup and lack of practice time had an impact, especially when it brought inexperienced ball handlers into difficult situations.

This coming season I am really looking forward to seeing a much crisper passing team. They’ll have more ball handlers, more practice time, and more confidence just because Paige will be playing. If you know your teammate is a bucket-getter, there’s less pressure on each pass.

Reaction Score
After the last two seasons, I am very skeptical about our future. Injuries have adjusted UConn's prospects. With all of the new talent and the return of the Paige and Azzi combo as healthy, all I can do at this point is hope that the HEALTH of this team will be at a AAA status all season long and until they cut down the nets at the Final Four championship game.

Reaction Score
I have posted before that if this team lives up to its potential, we could be on the verge of another dynasty. Irregardless of the pundits and naysayers about this team and other power houses, we have the one major difference that separates UCONN from the others and that is GENO!! The best coach in Women's BB history. Geno knows what he has in his players and will coach and lead them to another NC title and hopefully more. The potential of this team is unlimited and will be a joy to watch again in the UCONN way of playing exceptional basketball GO GENO!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
After the last two seasons, I am very skeptical about our future. Injuries have adjusted UConn's prospects. With all of the new talent and the return of the Paige and Azzi combo as healthy, all I can do at this point is hope that the HEALTH of this team will be at a AAA status all season long and until they cut down the nets at the Final Four championship game.
If that were the case, Mukley might as well just have mailed it in after her previous year. The other examples are endless. Given the absolute insanity of injuries and illnesses last season, it's amazing we did as well as we did. I do understand your caveat of "healthy", but with a team now of 14, with 10 or 11 who could be part of the core rotation in most games, it's hard to imagine a scenario where so many of them go down.

What i would consider part of what should have been the core 9 ended up missing 2 players the entire season (Paige and Ice) and others for multiple games.

In fact, of the core 9, players missed a total of 120 games.

• 22 - Azzi
  • 8 - Dorka
  • 2 - Aubrey
  • 1 - Nika
  • 14 - Carol
  • 37 - Paige
  • 37 - Ice
Only Lou and Aaliyah played all 37 games. Would Geno have gone 9 deep in big games? Maybe. If you look at that lineup and the talent - I do think Ice was poised to get some big minutes off the bench in reserve for Liya and Dorka. Would everyone else have gotten less minutes? Sure. But maybe some of the other injuries (Lou comes to mind) might have been avoided with less PT and wear and tear.

I guess my point is that the team has been snake bitten the past 2 seasons, and the odds, while apparently not "ever in our favor", certainly should be on our side for some good luck this season. I've as excited for the coming year as i've ever been about any team maybe save for the Maya NC's and 2,3,4 of Stewie's NC's

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I am very excited and optimistic about the 2023-2024 team.

On top of the games missed, and Paige and Ice out entirely, there was the fatigue factor affecting the players that could suit up. Some losses, like Marquette and Saint John`s, were the result of no gas in the tank for those games.

No one is going to have to play 40 minutes this year.

Reaction Score
NjuriesI have posted before that if this team lives up to its potential, we could be on the verge of another dynasty. Irregardless of the pundits and naysayers about this team and other power houses, we have the one major difference that separates UCONN from the others and that is GENO!! The best coach in Women's BB history. Geno knows what he has in his players and will coach and lead them to another NC title and hopefully more. The potential of this team is unlimited and will be a joy to watch again in the UCONN way of playing exceptional basketball GO GENO!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!
Everyone can dream of a dynasty, but IMO the days of dynasties are over in WBB. Call that naysaying if you would like but the combination of many great players, NIL, Tranfer Portal, many good to great coaches, (Yes Geno is the best, but coaches don’t score baskets, break the press or rebound) , bad referees and of course injuries all make the likelihood of any dynasty minimal. Right now I would settle for the elusive next championship for the Huskies.

Reaction Score
Everyone can dream of a dynasty, but IMO the days of dynasties are over in WBB. Call that naysaying if you would like but the combination of many great players, NIL, Tranfer Portal, many good to great coaches, (Yes Geno is the best, but coaches don’t score baskets, break the press or rebound) , bad referees and of course injuries all make the likelihood of any dynasty minimal. Right now I would settle for the elusive next championship for the Huskies.
I agree with everything you said, especially the next NC. My take is if UCONN does win its next NC with this team, then why not NO.13 and NO 14? especially with all the new recruits coming in. I leave all the analysis to posters more knowledgeable than I am. I post my feelings,my hopes and my wanting UCONN to be back where they belong, On top of Women's BB . I have been on the Bone Yard since 2013. I have NEVER posted a negative thought about UCONN or the team. Today is 7/15/2023 and in 19 days I will be 90 years old and pray I will live long enough to see this team reach it's destiny. I LIVE ON MY DREAMS.GO HUSKIES!!!!!

Reaction Score
It's supposed to be about enjoying watching them play and that's what I want to do this coming season. Not worrying about 2025 etc. Dynasties are just topics invented by the media out of original ideas.
Geno knows that he will never get to coach another pair like Bueckers and Fudd. And it's unlikely I'll see another pair like them. I just want them to have a chance to show their stuff.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm guarding against irrational exuberance. This team is made up of a star who hasn't played in a year, freshman who have never played at all, players with potential that can't make it through a season healthy and Aaliyah Edwards. The two best players from last year are gone. I dunno.

Reaction Score
I agree with everything you said, especially the next NC. My take is if UCONN does win its next NC with this team, then why not NO.13 and NO 14? especially with all the new recruits coming in. I leave all the analysis to posters more knowledgeable than I am. I post my feelings,my hopes and my wanting UCONN to be back where they belong, On top of Women's BB . I have been on the Bone Yard since 2013. I have NEVER posted a negative thought about UCONN or the team. Today is 7/15/2023 and in 19 days I will be 90 years old and pray I will live long enough to see this team reach it's destiny. I LIVE ON MY DREAMS.GO HUSKIES!!!!!
God bless you! I hope your dreams come true!!

Reaction Score
It's supposed to be about enjoying watching them play and that's what I want to do this coming season. Not worrying about 2025 etc. Dynasties are just topics invented by the media out of original ideas.
Geno knows that he will never get to coach another pair like Bueckers and Fudd. And it's unlikely I'll see another pair like them. I just want them to have a chance to show their stuff.
Except that Paige and Azzi are only the latest pair of superstars he’s had. Some teams even had more than 2.

Reaction Score
Bueckers and Fudd have won zero national championships. Geno has coached plenty of pairs like them.

Reaction Score
Bueckers and Fudd have won zero national championships. Geno has coached plenty of pairs like them.

Championships are won by teams, not players. If greatness is measured by titles then Saniya Chong was more successful than Maya Moore since she has three rings to Maya's two. A player's worth extends beyond the narrow perspective of college. Sue Bird played organized BB for over 25 years. I would think you judge her career solely on her three years at UConn. Only two rings? Jefferson had four. Boy, that Ted Williams was really overrated. Why? No titles. Jim Brown. Greatest runner in NFL history? BS, he never won a title. Can't even be considered.
Those titles represent a single-elimination tournament over 3 weeks of a five month season. That's far better than an AP poll but still not an accurate measure of "greatness".

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What a great post! And God bless you!! This year a lot comes down to health. And as you say - "why not next year" as well? A lot comes down to health, and Paige and Azzi. Then secondary this year Edwards and Caroline and then the following year Caroline. OFC other players all have to fall into place. but most importantly UCONN needs "stars to win. " And at minimum just get enough support at minimum to allow the superstars to flourish.

if UCONN were to get another dynasty -look at it's history - they have had multiple superstars other Than Diana's 2 year single-handed-superstar run. You build a dynasty when you get the super players. So most important is recruiting. As great as Geno is as a coach, he still needs to get the real super elite player(s) to come. A lot of people overvalue the bench, but it's the superstars that build the buzz and overall success. So after this year and next which UCONN has at least Azzi and maybe Paige for both, in order to continually be a major threat to really talk about "dynasty" if they were to win up until Paige/Azzi, it's extremely important to get the real super elite.

Just look at below and see the supreme superstars UCONN has had that has helped them win the 11 titles. That’s what is needed to keep winning. If you get the supreme superstar all the other nil and transfers from other teams will mostly be a lot of noise. Because terrific players will also flock to play with the superstar too. It's not just 1-way with the other team and UCONN gets nothing (if UCONN gets the super elite).

95-96- Lobo (with Rizzotti and Wolters former POYs)
99-00 Sue Bird, Sveta, Shea.
01-02 Sue Bird, Diana, and Swin Cash.
02-03/ 03-04 Diana
08-09/ 09-10 In 08-09 Maya, Renee Montgomery and Tina. In 09-10 Tina and Maya.
Then the 4 years with Stewart with Jefferson, Dolson, Kaleena and others over the 4 years.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Jim Brown. Greatest runner in NFL history? BS, he never won a title. Can't even be considered.

The Browns won the NFL Championship in 1964, with Jim Brown.

Granted, it's only 1, fewer than Brady or Emmitt amassed, but he did win a championship.

Reaction Score
Happy future birthday! After your 90th, you will only have to wait 12 days until the Huskies play in Europe!

With the fantastic guards {currently in High School} committing to UCONN in the past four months, I say why not 12, 13, 14, 15, & 16 in rapid succession.
With Stewie & Pheesa forming a new 3x3 league, I hope the greats from UCONN's past years can stop by and teach the youngsters "How it's really done at the next level!" and they apply it to their college game...

GO HUSKIES!!!!! [a reason for the five exclamation points is above!!!!!]

Reaction Score
What a great post! And God bless you!! This year a lot comes down to health. And as you say - "why not next year" as well? A lot comes down to health, and Paige and Azzi. Then secondary this year Edwards and Caroline and then the following year Caroline. OFC other players all have to fall into place. but most importantly UCONN needs "stars to win. " And at minimum just get enough support at minimum to allow the superstars to flourish.

if UCONN were to get another dynasty -look at it's history - they have had multiple superstars other Than Diana's 2 year single-handed-superstar run. You build a dynasty when you get the super players. So most important is recruiting. As great as Geno is as a coach, he still needs to get the real super elite player(s) to come. A lot of people overvalue the bench, but it's the superstars that build the buzz and overall success. So after this year and next which UCONN has at least Azzi and maybe Paige for both, in order to continually be a major threat to really talk about "dynasty" if they were to win up until Paige/Azzi, it's extremely important to get the real super elite.

Just look at below and see the supreme superstars UCONN has had that has helped them win the 11 titles. That’s what is needed to keep winning. If you get the supreme superstar all the other nil and transfers from other teams will mostly be a lot of noise. Because terrific players will also flock to play with the superstar too. It's not just 1-way with the other team and UCONN gets nothing (if UCONN gets the super elite).

95-96- Lobo (with Rizzotti and Wolters former POYs)
99-00 Sue Bird, Sveta, Shea.
01-02 Sue Bird, Diana, and Swin Cash.
02-03/ 03-04 Diana
08-09/ 09-10 In 08-09 Maya, Renee Montgomery and Tina. In 09-10 Tina and Maya.
Then the 4 years with Stewart with Jefferson, Dolson, Kaleena and others over the 4 years.
Thank you Hoophuskie for confirming my thoughts as the more knowledgeable poster on the Bone Yard. There is no-one that can deny that a future dynasty is possible with this team and with the new recruits, to keep it going. The CDR-Ret posted why not 12, 13, 14, 15, & 16 in rapid succession. I say WHY NOT! GO HUSKIES!!!!

Reaction Score
We do this every year during the summer, dream and overhype the team. I'm as guilty as anyone. Let's look at the facts, too many of our returning players are rehabbing injuries (hopefully at the end of rehab). We haven't seen Ice or the freshmen play 1 second of D1 basketball. We look at highlight videos and get excited, but come on, if I had a videographer with the patience of a saint I could make a highlight video where I look good (nah, who am I kidding). Geno says Paige looks better than ever, but he's been known to hype a little bit too.

If all the pieces fall into place this could be a spectacular year. Can't wait for the season to start so we can stop dreaming and start cheering. I apologize if this post is a little bit of a downer. Maybe TonyC should smack me upside the head to set me straight.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
We do this every year during the summer, dream and overhype the team. I'm as guilty as anyone. Let's look at the facts, too many of our returning players are rehabbing injuries (hopefully at the end of rehab). We haven't seen Ice or the freshmen play 1 second of D1 basketball. We look at highlight videos and get excited, but come on, if I had a videographer with the patience of a saint I could make a highlight video where I look good (nah, who am I kidding). Geno says Paige looks better than ever, but he's been known to hype a little bit too.

If all the pieces fall into place this could be a spectacular year. Can't wait for the season to start so we can stop dreaming and start cheering. I apologize if this post is a little bit of a downer. Maybe TonyC should smack me upside the head to set me straight.
In the back of our minds we all are thinking the same thing. You are not a downer, just someone who has joined many of us and have been devastated by the happenings of the last two years. As far as highlights, of course they don't show the bad stuff, but just being able to see what they have the ability to do is reason enough to feel excited. The point is, no matter what our fears are about this team, the talent is hard to ignore, and if things go to plan, we all will be very happy in the end.

Reaction Score
I'm with both of you, @Skeets and @Bald Huskie -- our optimism is boundless, maybe even excessive, and we may well be disappointed come March... again. It feels a little hair-raising at moments, if I stop to focus on all the things that could go wrong. For me, however, being gloomy about it doesn't really cushion the blow, if it comes. I'm going to whistle a tune even if it turns out I'm sitting on the deck of the Titanic.

Reaction Score
What I like about this team is that the upperclassmen really have been through a lot. Not just individually through all the injuries, but just battles as a team. Like a championship game loss, a 1 vs 2 early season matchup loss, a 1 vs 2 late season matchup win, stunning road losses, solid road wins. Sometimes when thinking of all the injuries it's hard to remember who did what but even with the games missed, their key players have gotten a great deal of elite level, high pressure college basketball experience.
On another note I remember thinking about the team last year around this time and could've never predicted how good Lou was going to be. On top of tempering expectations for Paige and Azzi who both could be top 10 player's in the nation next year, I wonder who will be the biggest surprise or take the biggest jump this season. Cuz if Ice is elite or Nika or Caroline raise their game to another level, I do think they become the clear best team in the nation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom